Maryville and 5A

REBELRON

Reb,

I am goin to try and give you some insight into football fans. It may be over your head but I will give it a shot. And by the way it applies to all supporters of all athletic teams in general.

There are literaly thousands of high school football teams and hundreds of college teams. Most fans of those teams will never see their teams win a state championship or a national championship. In fact, many of them will wait for years to see a winning season. That doesn't make them any less of a true fan of their school...in fact it is a tribute to what athletics is all about. Heck, when Vanderbilt fans got to finally compete it wasn't for an SEC Championship, but for a bowl game....something that many schools take for granted. These are where the true fans are...not the "hangers on" that jump on the band wagon for the champion. It is easy to follow the team that is dominant.....much more difficult to follow the one that is 0-10.

So, before you start thinking that you can slight fans of teams that are not as successfual as the one you have chosen to follow....engage your brain and understand that in the end only 5 high school teams in Tennessee will even remotely have a chance of finishing undefeated and hundreds will always loose a game. They have the true fans at those mediocore schools not at the perenial powers that recuit and play down divisions to win. And by the way OR is not one of them....they have, I believe, a program that is rated in the top 30 high school teams in the nation overall for winning percentages. But I have followed teams that don't win very often and they were just as enjoyable in their own way. It would be a very sad day for sports if all fans were as shallow as yourself and based their support only if a team competes for a state championship. You will figure this out for yourself once you get out inthe real world and experience life. But I thought I would try and give you a head start.

And by the way, OR may not beat Maryville the first time they play, or the second or the third....but they will always fill the stands and have a huge following and in the end will win their share of games. You see, they have tradition, and in the end they will continue to be successful. Be careful of support for your team's big success with a big mouth....that is just more opportunity for a bigger crow.

Ole Dad

Funny hearing you try to act all wise and try to tell someone how to be a real fan . You start out by talking about how hard it is for a team to win a championship , yet you ridicule and belittle the team which has been the most successful in this entire state over the last decade . You call MLReb Shallow for supporting only a team which competes for a state championship , without you even knowing that he attended and has supported that same school for probably as many years as you have Oak Ridge . MLReb is still very closely related to the school he's talking about , I would bet my last dollar that he's much closer and more of an insider to Maryville , than you are to Oak Ridge .

Most Oak Ridge fans are very classy ... you have been the trashiest OR poster on here by far , you constantly trash Clinton at every opportunity , yet you try to tell MLReb about the downfalls of slighting other teams . I look forward to reading all your " classy " posts towards Clinton and the other schools you consider beneath you . There should be a huge neon sign flashing " HYPOCRITE " every time you do that .

Edited by pepvol

Why wait.............Maryville will still smoke WB year in and year out just like they do now :lol:

-BlountCountySportsFan

You got us BCSF. You'all continue to smoke us in football, we'll continue to smoke you'all in girls and boys basketball, baseball, and track. It's a fair swap I suppose. :lol::D:D

Righttttttt.

Ole Dad

Funny hearing you try to act all wise and try to tell someone how to be a real fan . You start out by talking about how hard it is for a team to win a championship , yet you ridicule and belittle the team which has been the most successful in this entire state over the last decade . You call MLReb Shallow for supporting only a team which competes for a state championship , without you even knowing that he attended and has supported that same school for probably as many years as you have Oak Ridge . MLReb is still very closely related to the school he's talking about , I would bet my last dollar that he's much closer and more of an insider to Maryville , than you are to Oak Ridge .

Most Oak Ridge fans are very classy ... you have been the trashiest OR poster on here by far , you constantly trash Clinton at every opportunity , yet you try to tell MLReb about the downfalls of slighting other teams . I look forward to reading all your " classy " posts towards Clinton and the other schools you consider beneath you . There should be a huge neon sign flashing " HYPOCRITE " every time you do that .

One of the best things said yet. I don't think that Maryville or its coaching staff would care what league they played in. We all have our opinions. That is what makes it enjoyable on here.

Thanks to all for the debate.

A great point! From living with some former Reb's, and watching them grow into men, I can tell you the kids could care less about who is on the other side of the ball. Maryville goes about it's business the same way every time, with same resolve and execution. What the heck is so tough about 5A? 11 on 11, and the better conditioned, coached and mentally prepared will win 95% or the time. A let down can happen, but it seldom happens to Maryville. Maryville went 0-4 in 2000 and the kids never stopped working, and another gold ball entered the case. I don't think that has ever happened around Tennessee. There is something special about Maryville Football these days and the most storied program in the state is 2nd to no one and fears no one. Think Maryville is afraid of Oak Ridge? Think again. Respected sure, just like Clinton. After watching Oak Ridge last year in their state title run I can easily say Melrose or Hillsboro the past 5 years would have beat OR like a rented mule! Every opponent gets equal preparedness and if you think otherwise then just keep fooling yourself that Maryville is some how afraid of 5A or this or that team and cheats. Should Maryville end up on your teams schedule in the future, that is a game you'll have ear mark as a tough one and there is a high probability the contest will marked in your loss column.

5A tougher than 4A, not in East Tennessee the past 10 years!

A great point! From living with some former Reb's, and watching them grow into men, I can tell you the kids could care less about who is on the other side of the ball. Maryville goes about it's business the same way every time, with same resolve and execution. What the heck is so tough about 5A? 11 on 11, and the better conditioned, coached and mentally prepared will win 95% or the time. A let down can happen, but it seldom happens to Maryville. Maryville went 0-4 in 2000 and the kids never stopped working, and another gold ball entered the case. I don't think that has ever happened around Tennessee. There is something special about Maryville Football these days and the most storied program in the state is 2nd to no one and fears no one. Think Maryville is afraid of Oak Ridge? Think again. Respected sure, just like Clinton. After watching Oak Ridge last year in their state title run I can easily say Melrose or Hillsboro the past 5 years would have beat OR like a rented mule! Every opponent gets equal preparedness and if you think otherwise then just keep fooling yourself that Maryville is some how afraid of 5A or this or that team and cheats. Should Maryville end up on your teams schedule in the future, that is a game you'll have ear mark as a tough one and there is a high probability the contest will marked in your loss column.

:) all this coming from someone that has had kids play through 4a but the majority that watchs HS football will say maryville would not have been as successful at the 5a level and beat OR like a rented mule huh lol doubt that very seriously :) but not trying to take anything away from mhs cause what they have done at the 4a level is amazing

Edited by SCN08FearTheSpear

If Maryville played in 5A they would have 0 state titles in the past 5 years.

I hope a series can be scheduled.