Alcoa drops out of Integra Bowl in Kentucky ...

kentuckian

Unless it's a home and home contract, theres not a good reason to sign a two year agreement for an out of state "bowl" game. You are taking a chance on numerous negative possibilities.

As bad as it was............Alcoa should honor the contract and hopefully have learned a lesson from this.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think WB or Heritage were wrong, even though I would have liked it if they still had the games.

But Alcoa is 2A and those schools are large 5A schools who have had some trouble competing in Football and I think the move was to get the programs on track. Getting beat even once in 2-3 years by a local 2A school sends a the wrong message to the student body.

Now you will say it was because the schools were afraid of Alcoa. I don't think that at all I just think the school AD's and Coach's were acting in the best intrest of the programs.

Alcoa could find a quality game in East Tennessee if they wanted one, but my opinion is they do not wish to find one. Why drive to west TN for a game or even KY? Find a local team or take the bye week till the AD has a year or two to work out a game for that spot in the schdual.

Bottom Line. William Blount and Heritage should be playing Alcoa. Those kids played against each other growing up. It isn't like Alcoa is beating William Blount every year. I bet in the last 10 years they played William Blount won more against Alcoa than Alcoa won against them. I would bet my house that the William Balount players would much rather play against Alcoa than they would Clarksville Northeast. I would also bet that the Heritage kids would much rather play against Alcoa than Seymour

Alcoa could find a quality game in East Tennessee if they wanted one, but my opinion is they do not wish to find one. Why drive to west TN for a game or even KY? Find a local team or take the bye week till the AD has a year or two to work out a game for that spot in the schdual.

FBE- I would like to know who would play Alcoa in East Tenn. I know how hard it is to develop a schedule at AHS- I have been there. I wish you wouldn't be so negative about AHS, I have been trying to develop a cooperative attitude between the two schools for a long time. Clint Abbott

But, I do blame WB and Hertage for getting this "snowball rolling".
What, WB and Heritage forced Alcoa to drop a game under contract two months before it is supposed to be played?

I guess we're blaming the wrong people, then. Sorry, Alcoa. :lol:

it was a good move....trigg is an outlaw program and curtis higgins has no control of his team....that is a bogus 2nd rate bowl game.
On what do you base those claims? Edited by kentuckian

Turtle--Central is still going up to Middlesboro for a bowl game this year. We played Bell Co last year and had a good experience. The refs were fair and the people from Bell Co. were good hosts. The Bobcats are playing Middlesboro this year.

Ah, FBE's just mad at Alcoa because he still can not figure out how to pop the top on an Aluminum drink can! :D

-BlountCountySportsFan

Thanks for the cheap insult. Why would I be mad if Alcoa would rather find a team 300 miles away? Kind of a waste of money traveling that far one year, having a negative experience and then buying your way out of the contract for a few more grand. Alcoa must have real deep pockets and should not need any additional funds for anything.

I'm just glad to see you think what WB did was "wrong"! look'n thru those orange-n-blue tinted glasses :D

Yes ... let me be as clear as possible ... if indeed Heritage and WB did not give Alcoa advance notice of their intentions of dropping their games, allowing Alcoa enough time to work out a game with another opponent ... then they both were in the wrong.

And yes, if Alcoa decided not to play in the Integra Bowl but did not give adequate notice to the schools in Kentucky, then they too were in the wrong.

I'm not sure where the "orange and blue tinted glasses" come into that equation, but you can't call the "pot black" and then turn around and be a big old "kettle".

Alcoa fans who chastised Heritage and WB for their actions, and then would get on here and defend Alcoa for basically doing the same thing ... is that not a double standard?