MBA at Trinity

FlyBy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This loss cannot sit well in Louisville. Trinity is 75-12 since 2000, and 3 of those losses have come to MBA. Losing to MBA is objectively no shame, but keep in mind that Trinity has about 2.5 times more boys than MBA, and about 40% more than DII-AAA's largest school (CBHS). Rutledge told the Nashville City Paper last week that he'd like to continue the series with Trinity; while Trinity has never shied away from good competition, I'll be curious to see if they accept.

Roll Red Roll

I agree with you--will be interesting to see if this is something they continue to pursue. If KY's public/private situation continues to digress, neither of us may have a choice but to keep playing each other. At some point, I'd like to see us look to other regional private schools--like St. X in Cincinatti-- for 2-year home/home if the Trinity series goes away...it is unusual for us to find ourselves in this situation--as in, the "small" school with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I think the schools are similar enough, and the teams close enough in ability that we will continue to play...but if we were to win, say, the next 2, I think it will come to an end.

Congratulations MBA! You evidently played hard and won! Good to see a Tennessee team (either Private or Public) do well against ANYBODY from outside this state. :blink:

Speaking of out-of-state teams, I saw where Worthington Kilbourne (D1 in Ohio) lost to a D6 (considerably weaker class) squad in its opener. This may have been the team that WK scheduled in place of Riverdale. No wonder WK backed out of coming to Tennessee this year. Hats off to the Riverdale fans for not laying into WK more so for their copout.

I agree with you--will be interesting to see if this is something they continue to pursue. If KY's public/private situation continues to digress, neither of us may have a choice but to keep playing each other. At some point, I'd like to see us look to other regional private schools--like St. X in Cincinatti-- for 2-year home/home if the Trinity series goes away...it is unusual for us to find ourselves in this situation--as in, the "small" school with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I think the schools are similar enough, and the teams close enough in ability that we will continue to play...but if we were to win, say, the next 2, I think it will come to an end.

In the end, I think Trinity will renew. While THS is 1-3 in the series, they've been in every one of those losses.

I'm not sure what the recent move by Kentucky to go from four to six classes will mean for KY scheduling; presumably, it will mean smaller districts/regions and the need for more non-district/region games.

I'm all for regional games, although it would be nice to have some DI matchups here in the state. The MBA-Dobyns Bennett games of 2001 and 2002 were classics - both OT games and the visitor winning both times in a new environment.

I'd like to see that game, too. I'd really like to see MBA schedule a series with one of the big Atlanta private schools like Marist or Lovett. I think MBA fans would make the drive, plus there are alot of MBA alums in ATL.

Speaking of out-of-state teams, I saw where Worthington Kilbourne (D1 in Ohio) lost to a D6 (considerably weaker class) squad in its opener. This may have been the team that WK scheduled in place of Riverdale. No wonder WK backed out of coming to Tennessee this year. Hats off to the Riverdale fans for not laying into WK more so for their copout.

WHAAAAAT? They did raise cane about them "ckickening out", because it was so late when notified they could not find a team to replace them. That is the only reason they played McCallie, it wasn't like all the sudden they had a change of heart about DIV II.

WHAAAAAT? They did raise cane about them "ckickening out", because it was so late when notified they could not find a team to replace them. That is the only reason they played McCallie, it wasn't like all the sudden they had a change of heart about DIV II.

I know, they did give them some heat, but it could have (should have) been so much more. Ohio fans are ultra-snobby about their football, and while they do have a leg to stand on about the quality of their football, a DI Ohio team backing out of a return game with a Tennessee school - granted, a top-rate program in Riverdale - was worthy of much more heat.

I'd like to see that game, too. I'd really like to see MBA schedule a series with one of the big Atlanta private schools like Marist or Lovett. I think MBA fans would make the drive, plus there are alot of MBA alums in ATL.

I'd be for that matchup, too. MBA would have throttled Lovett and Westminster in recent years (McCallie pounded Lovett 34-0 in 2005), but Marist would be much more competitive (Marist's 2003 state championship squad versus MBA's 2003 title team would have been a good matchup).

Edited by rollredroll

I know, they did give them some heat, but it could have (should have) been so much more. Ohio fans are ultra-snobby about their football, and while they do have a leg to stand on about the quality of their football, a DI Ohio team backing out of a return game with a Tennessee school - granted, a top-rate program in Riverdale - was worthy of much more heat.

In about 5 minutes I have already figured out why Trinity likes ya'll so much even though MBA is 3-1 against them. You are so nice to everybody. :blink:

In about 5 minutes I have already figured out why Trinity likes ya'll so much even though MBA is 3-1 against them. You are so nice to everybody. :ph34r:

Congrats to the Big Red...I can't name many schools in this state that could go 3-1 against a program as fine as Trinity. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Big Red contend in DII. All my best wishes to David Howe...I hope the diagnosis is mild and that he recovers quickly.