Knox Catholic at Sequoya

SliderSport

Catholic does not provide financial aid to its football players. Sorry to burst your bubble.

No one said they provided financial aid but since you brought it up I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that every kid their pays that big tutition each year. The money I was talking about was not to be degrading but I am talking about the resources your school is fortunate enough to have. Lets face it money talks in more ways than one. All I was saying was is that you are fortunate to be able to pay your coaches well enough to get some real good ones, to be able to afford the best stuff for your kids and so forth. Sorry you misundersood my comment. Just of curiosity how many of this years team has been there since grade school?

I know Smith has from what I have heard, but what about the rest?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one said they provided financial aid but since you brought it up I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that every kid their pays that big tutition each year. The money I was talking about was not to be degrading but I am talking about the resources your school is fortunate enough to have. Lets face it money talks in more ways than one. All I was saying was is that you are fortunate to be able to pay your coaches well enough to get some real good ones, to be able to afford the best stuff for your kids and so forth. Sorry you misundersood my comment. Just of curiosity how many of this years team has been there since grade school?

I know Smith has from what I have heard, but what about the rest?

most of the kids from catholic come from the feeder catholic schools around the area. so a lot of the players have known each other for years. but catholic doesnt run up the score with the first team. whenever you see catholic winning in a blowout, the 2nd and 3rd teams are in the game. so dont be hating on catholic, and another thing, i guarantee that the majority of the team pays the full tuition, plus we are paying the price by playing with the TSSAA multiplier

most of the kids from catholic come from the feeder catholic schools around the area. so a lot of the players have known each other for years. but catholic doesnt run up the score with the first team. whenever you see catholic winning in a blowout, the 2nd and 3rd teams are in the game. so dont be hating on catholic, and another thing, i guarantee that the majority of the team pays the full tuition, plus we are paying the price by playing with the TSSAA multiplier

Bottom line is all privates should play in their own league then you can't complain about the multiplier and everyone else can't complain about the recruiting business.

Only if the open-zones leave too. After all, they have the same advantages the privates do!

I will agree with that comment also. One problem with the public schools that have open zones is their is little or no school pride. If you don't like something someone says or does you just jump ship and leave. If you don't live in a community then you could probably care less about how the school is functioning.

Bottom line is all privates should play in their own league then you can't complain about the multiplier and everyone else can't complain about the recruiting business.

I'd like to address a couple of the comments I've seen on this post. #1 The school is comprised of about 85% of Catholic students. No students at the school at the receive any athletic financial aid. Non-Catholic students pay approximately $1500 extra per year. There is no price break for athletes. I wish there was because my son is a 2 sport starter that is non-Catholic. #2 The majority of these kids have played together since grade school. The classes have been boosted by kids recently moving into the area. Several of the football players that are non-Catholic have grown up playing in youth sports together with theses kids since most middle schools in the area had done away with sports programs. #3 Athletics probably has something to do with these non-Catholic kids attending school her but the academics are first-rate and (at the risk of being politically incorrect) maybe it's not a bad idea to still attend a school that believes in prayer in the classroom and has a strong Christian ethic. #4 Recruiting occurs at every school that has a decent athletic program not just private schools, big schools or rural schools. I've been involved with the athletic program at Catholic for 20 years and I've seen more recruiting done at the Maryvilles and Oak Ridges of the east TN area. We all know the public/private division was created basically because of 1 middle TN school. #5 The money issues can be evened in more than one way. Smith Co. had excellent facilities at their football field that were nicer than most private schools. It seems like their booster/quarterback club made these improvements a priority and got the community involved to make it happen. The booster club at Catholic does the same thing. If you're that concerned about the money-GET INVOLVED AND HELP YOUR OWN SCHOOL.

Edited by IrishBBall