Sports Illustrated HS Football Preview

FBEmeritus

Why should they play out of state teams when they will not play the best teams in Tennessee? Let's see them play BA, McCallie, Riverdale or MBA.

Clearly in my post I noted this well deserved national recognition was a result of many successful years, not just this year.

Maryville is not scheduled to play these teams you noted but if they were they would give any team a game. Most years Maryville would have taken the teams you mentioned apart IMO. By the way only Riverdale is a public school the three others have what I would call Recruiting with a budget.

Frankly, I would like Maryville to play other teams but under the current region they play in and the local rivaly games, they don't have a spot on the schedule and for the past 8 years MHS has had to play around 15 games a year as it is :rolleyes:

So there is no time to prove anything to you hard heads out there!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well deserved, im not for polls at the beginning of the season, but this is one year where riverdale is not the easy #1 pick...riverdale is fighting for every bit of credibility and respect they get this year, with a new coach they couldnt simply put us on top based on results from previous years, understandably so. i sorta like it better that way, riverdale has alot to prove and i am more than confident that they will :rolleyes:

how do people think this maryville team will shape up compared to their teams of recent years? obviously they are title contenders, but are they expected to be better this year than last?

Most years Maryville would have taken the teams you mentioned apart IMO. By the way only Riverdale is a public school the three others have what I would call Recruiting with a budget.

I respect your opinion but I have to disagree with you there. I think MBA's and BA's coaching staffs are just as good as Maryville's. That is my opinion. Riverdale's was until this season and I believe you would have to agree after seeing the difference in Alcoa's team play this season. Rankin will have these guys right up there with Maryville in the coming years and it is going to be fun to watch.

I am curious why Maryville refuses to play any top notch teams from other states or within this state. I know MBA and BA are always looking for games and Riverdale is most years.

It seems to me someone like GQ would have that competitive fire to go up against the big dogs and try to take them down. I find it hard to believe he wouldnt want to challenge himself and his team. I hope one day they decide to challenge themselves and prove to everyone they are a top notch program.I believe the last time Maryville played a team that wasn't from East Tennessee in the regular season was 1996. Until then I see them as a great team who refuses to get out of their backyard to go play big games. Tha's my opinion and I know many will disagree.

How surprising , Gerry on another thread trying to belittle Maryville's accomplishments . Nice job of setting that up there BluNWhiteH8Tribe . Boy , didn't see the Maryville slam a coming ... ya right . Maybe in your world BluNWhiteH8Tribe , the only way to win is by cheating , but not in Maryville's world . Maryville has nothing to prove to guys like you 2 , you guys keep on whining and hating , here at Maryville , we'll just keep on collecting Gold balls .....

I already said Quarles is a good coach, what more do you wish to hear??? I believe Quarles is among the best in the state, however, 5 titles in 6 years just isn't natural in my oppinion...something seems wrong with that picture to me...and it is either one of two things in my oppinion...either the state is weak in 4A year in and year out...or...there could be more going on then "good coaching"...

I have to disagree...I believe Byrnes would dismantle Maryville...just my oppinion...

You are trying to insinuate that Maryville doing something wrong or illegal. I was just trying to get you to come out and say it. Sorry, I know you were trying to be sly but you are not very good at it. Especially when you TOTALLY belittled their Championships on another thread. So much for not slinging dirt huh? You are officially out of the closet and Maryville's success obviously bothers you to the point that you have to troll their threads and stir stuff up. JUST MY OPINION. For the last time ONE P NOT TWO. And to answer your queston I don't care if I ever hear you say another word. Quarles and Maryville have nothing to prove to you or anyone else.

Edited by mhs

I respect your opinion but I have to disagree with you there. I think MBA's and BA's coaching staffs are just as good as Maryville's. That is my opinion. Riverdale's was until this season and I believe you would have to agree after seeing the difference in Alcoa's team play this season. Rankin will have these guys right up there with Maryville in the coming years and it is going to be fun to watch.

I am curious why Maryville refuses to play any top notch teams from other states or within this state. I know MBA and BA are always looking for games and Riverdale is most years.

It seems to me someone like GQ would have that competitive fire to go up against the big dogs and try to take them down. I find it hard to believe he wouldnt want to challenge himself and his team. I hope one day they decide to challenge themselves and prove to everyone they are a top notch program.I believe the last time Maryville played a team that wasn't from East Tennessee in the regular season was 1996. Until then I see them as a great team who refuses to get out of their backyard to go play big games. Tha's my opinion and I know many will disagree.

Alcoa seemed more disciplined to me but Rankin's offensive play calling was pretty average IMO. He inherited a very talented team and they will lose 25 seniors this year so whether or not he becomes the legend you predict time will tell. He isn't at a 5A school in Rutherford county anymore. He tried a couple of trick plays that blew up in his face and threw it deep two times. Other than that it off tackle and pitch right and left.

We all know Gerry loves Maryville. Even though Maryville beat Melrose the last two years they were not as good as the Wildcats.

BluNWhiteH8Tribe I would love to see Maryville and McMinn Central renew their old rivalry wouldn't you? The Chargers probably have a few good 'uns like Brad Watts and Norman Jordan just waiting to play the Rebels.

Gerry....here is Maryville's schedule...

Fri Aug. 18 South Doyle R W 42-7

Fri Aug. 25 Alcoa W 17-14

Fri Sep. 1 Clinton R

Fri Sep. 8 at Heritage

Fri Sep. 15 at Powell R

Fri Sep. 22 William Blount

Fri Sep. 29 Knox Central R

Fri Oct. 6 at West R

Fri Oct. 20 at Knoxville Halls R

Fri Oct. 27 at Lenoir City R

Alcoa...Heritage...and William Blount, all Blount County teams like Maryville, are the only teams that Maryville plays other than their district games. Which team should Maryville drop to play an outside team?

Remember....this is highschool football and not pro or college. The in-county games are very important for gate plus these kids have been squaring off against each other since they were kids. So using common sense and being reasonable which team should Maryville drop and why?

For years and years it has been a tradition for Maryville to play the three teams in their county (William Blount, Heritage, & Alcoa). These kids grow up playing each other in midgets & middle school and all know each other. Even though William Blount and Heritage are usually terrible it is still a big rivalry and an exciting week for both schools. Not to mention a big gate for the host school.

For years and years it has been a tradition for Maryville to play the three teams in their county (William Blount, Heritage, & Alcoa). These kids grow up playing each other in midgets & middle school and all know each other. Even though William Blount and Heritage are usually terrible it is still a big rivalry and an exciting week for both schools. Not to mention a big gate for the host school.

What you are saying is that Heritage and William Blount are easy wins and you can play all of your subs to get them some experience while resting your starters. Do you not feel that a game with BA, Riverdale or MBA would not draw 10,000 fans? 10,000 fans X $6.00 per ticket would be $60,000.00 in gate receipts. Concessions would probably add a gross of $40,000.00 with a net profit of $25,000.00 on concessions. That type of game would net Maryville close to $85,000.00 for one game, do you make that much money off of the Heritage or William Blount games when you are the host?

Disagree with BA, agree with MBA. I'd say MUS over BA.

Simple Gerry, it's the rivalry and tradition. It's still high school football, and as much as we want to make is a national phenomenon, in the end it still a game that most like played on the local level. Is it cool to watch these games on national TV? Yes, it is. But it's more fun to go to a big country rivalry game that has been played since the 50s or earlier. My old high school and out old rivals started playing again my sophomore year after about a 8 year break, and you would have thought Byrnes was coming to town everyone was so excited. To me, that's what HS football at least should be about. And as much flack as Maryville is getting for not playing the elite teams, I would hate to see the backlash if they dropped one or both of these teams for an MBA or BA.

IMO, the top 2 teams in the state - regardless of classification - played in Maryville Friday night anyway.

Disagree with BA, agree with MBA. I'd say MUS over BA.

Simple Gerry, it's the rivalry and tradition. It's still high school football, and as much as we want to make is a national phenomenon, in the end it still a game that most like played on the local level. Is it cool to watch these games on national TV? Yes, it is. But it's more fun to go to a big country rivalry game that has been played since the 50s or earlier. My old high school and out old rivals started playing again my sophomore year after about a 8 year break, and you would have thought Byrnes was coming to town everyone was so excited. To me, that's what HS football at least should be about. And as much flack as Maryville is getting for not playing the elite teams, I would hate to see the backlash if they dropped one or both of these teams for an MBA or BA.

IMO, the top 2 teams in the state - regardless of classification - played in Maryville Friday night anyway.

Good post Soloman and you are right on. People seem to forget that these are kids and this is still a game regardless of what us adults make out of it. Twenty years from now the kids will have great memories of playing the greatest game in the world.....highschool football!