Clinton @ Halls

HaveitYourWay

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it'll be Halls by 17. The Clinton faithful haven't answered about Phillip Hester. He's a difference maker. I don't think they've got him right now, and I don't think they realize that Hazelhurst, a freshman, is still a little small to make an impact yet against a decent team. Thurmond is a pretty good kicker, but I heard he was injured too.

As for Hester, he is out. He has some sort of a knee injury from practice. Hazelhurst is a freshmen, sure he isn't super big but I promise you this, if the Devils run to his side, he won't disappoint. He's got three interceptions so far, one of them returned for a touchdown against Maryville. He practically decapitated the running back from Maryville, causing a fumble, took on Bingham from Oak Ridge and leveled the poor kid. Overall, he is one of the hardest hitting players I've ever seen at the High School level and regardless of size and age, defensively, he's a "PLAYER". As for Thurmond, he's fine.

"Coon" where are you. School work getting too you? Keep the faith, the Dragons are getting ready to explode at some point this season. This could be the week. GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!

Every thread has a rah rah to Maryville, if Maryville is mentioned in a post, here come the Maryville posters, I nominate that we re-name CoachT to MaryvilleT. :lol:

Your jealousy is amusing . I'm sure you wish your school was talked about as much as Maryville ..... here's a little advice , don't want a Maryville poster around ? Then don't bring em up .... I'm sure if I was traveling from thread to thread and always bringing up Oak Ridge , mostly always in a negative light , you'd come running every time :thumb:

Goon, Hazlehurst is a hitter, he will put a shot on a ball carrier. I believe it was Kevin Helton that he decleated in the OR game. Goon, it looks to me like the Dragons are running out of fight. If they don't show up for this one and get blown out again, I'm afraid they are done for. But I do think Shattuck and them are on the right track. It doesn't happen over night. But if they finish with one win again, all that "moving in the right direction" talk will stop, and the perception will be "same ole Clinton".

Where's your #1 cheerleader Coon? He needs to get your boys fired up. After that first report card came out, they might have taken away his puter priviledges.

Your jealousy is amusing . I'm sure you wish your school was talked about as much as Maryville ..... here's a little advice , don't want a Maryville poster around ? Then don't bring em up .... I'm sure if I was traveling from thread to thread and always bringing up Oak Ridge , mostly always in a negative light , you'd come running every time :thumb:

You need to take your Prozac :lol: !!!

Hazelhurst is a freshmen, sure he isn't super big but I promise you this, if the Devils run to his side, he won't disappoint.

I've heard he's a heck of a hitter. My point was about him at RB, which is where Hester makes such an impact. I've talked to some of my AC friends who have been impressed by him on D as well.

I wish I had the bucks. If I did I would hire a strength coach. I'm not slamming the team or coaches, but the workout techniques and approaches are antiquated. You can't do reps for power (3-5) all offseason long. If you do, you don't get stronger. You've got to have hypertrophy to get stronger and faster, then you can do reps for power. Hypertrophy requires 8-12 reps per set. It's called periodization training (which really just means mix it up) and it's what Maryville does

I'm going to talk to Coach J after the season. I'm excited about what the team can do in the next few years, and I believe the coaching and work ethic are there. It's just the minor tweaks that can get us to the next level.

I am not sure what the Halls guys are doing in regards to their workout schedule, but I know you are correct about the new discoveries in weight training. When I played, Coach Kerr had us doing mostly low reps-high weight all the time. He called it "bulking up." I know other high school programs in the country are very advanced in their procedures. (when to max, when to go low weight- high rep) All weight amounts for every set should be an exact percentage of your max with specific reps. I don't know that Halls is behind in this knowledge, but if they are I am sure Coach J. will get them up to speed. There are some great seminars and clinics where this information is shared.

weren't coach kerr's teams at Halls some of the strongest in the state year in and year out? you can look at all kinds of workout plans and listen to all the scientists in the world, but when it comes down to it, about 75% of getting bigger, stronger, and faster is what a kid puts into it when he has the bar in his hands. The other 25% is nutrition, workout plan, rest, etc...

I dont know who will really win. I aint gonna make no prediction, I am tired of being wrong. Clinton's defense looked pretty good, against AC. But the offensive live was TERRIBLE, Zach Hood had 4 interceptions, he was getting hurried EVERY play. They werent making no room for the running backs, and suprisingly, Westin Hazlehurst was our leading rusher with I think 20 something yards. Hazlehurst is a good player, and he is the type of player that clinton needs to turn the program around. I think if the dragons O-Line do their job this week, we can blow out halls, but if they dont, It WILL be ugly.

Edited by coonhunter291

Divercity,

You seem to be up to snuff on the weight program idea, why don't you get KJ to hire you on as a trainer for the football program?

Someone else mentioned we had 90%+ working out this summer and that is great. But with so many young ones playing isn't it hard for them to develop physically like the juniors and senior would?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the yearly records that Clinton has had since Gaylor left? It seems that the program went down under Catlett, but didn't he win more games than Shattuck has? I have been quiet on here because Clinton is not doing well, I think all Clinton fans are waiting on their chance to be proud of something. I guess we'll have to wait on these Freshmen to mature before anything positive happens.

Divercity,

You seem to be up to snuff on the weight program idea, why don't you get KJ to hire you on as a trainer for the football program?

Someone else mentioned we had 90%+ working out this summer and that is great. But with so many young ones playing isn't it hard for them to develop physically like the juniors and senior would?

I'd do it for free if I had the time. But I am planning on working with a few of the kids -- sort of a representative sampling, who then can teach these things to the others. It is a whole combination of factors, like others have said, such as intensity, workout plan, nutrition, body composition, sleep, and as you correctly state, maturity. And these things take on different degrees of importance depending on the player. That's why it would be great if we had a dedicated strength coach who could develop individualized programs. I guess that's pie in the sky. Does anyone know if other schools have dedicated strength coaches?