No Mercy!

regit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If u look at the boxscore Satterfield was still passing the ball when they were up like 84-0.

Play Calling can prevent the score from being run up. All u have to do is run dive over and over and over again.

Well if they can't stop the DIVE then what is the difference. There is no difference in running the sweep and throwing the bubble pass, which by the way is exactly what the passes TC was throwing last year!!

Last year TC beat Red Boiling Springs 91-0.

That is extremely excessive! If my child were playing on that winning team, I would really be questioning what kind of person that coach is to run up a score like that. I have been on both sides of a game like this (well maybe not this excessive) but it comes to a point where it's really not fun for either side anymore. 91-0 is just trying to humiliate someone and I think that's sad, there is always something a coach can do to prevent scoring again. I'm all for younger kids getting to come in and play and all that, but trying to humiliate the kids on the other team is uncalled for.

Info from the National Federation of State High School's web-site:

2006 Football Rule 3-1-2 (Mercy Rule)

STATE State Utilizes Rule COMMENTS

(Yes/No)

Alabama No

Alaska No

Arizona Yes 42 pt. advantage rule. When one team leads by 42 pts. Or more in the second half, game terminates. We have discussion to change this rule this far.

Arkansas Yes The game clock will run when after the beginning of the second half the score has reached a differential of thirty-five points or more. The game clock will be stopped when: 1. An official's time-out is called; a) following a change of possession, or c) to dry or change a game ball, 2. A charged time-out is called, 3. At the end of a period, 4. A score occurs. Note: The game clock will run in all other situations.

California No As a state-wide rule California does not utilize, but some sections may utilize their own procedures.

Colorado Yes When the differential is 45 pts. In the second half, a running clock is used at all times except for team or official time-outs or after a score. If the differential becomes less than 45 pts., regular rules apply. Note: There is a proposal to invoke this rule at any time during the game.

Connecticut No However, we will probably use one next year.

Delaware Yes Second half needs a 35 pt. differential. Then we have a running clock until the 35 pt. differential is reduced. The clock only stops on: scores, injuries, official's time-out or team time-out. This is an injury concern.

District Of Columbia Yes At anytime during a game, if a team falls behind 35 points or more, the clock will revert to running time. If a team reduces the margin of 35 points, the clock will revert back to regulation time. Once a team is behind 50 points or more, at the beginning of the next quarter, the time will be reduced to 8 minutes and running time. If the deficit is reduced below 50 points, revert to the regular time period for the next quarter and running time if the margin is still 35 points or more.

Florida Yes 35 pt. differential, optional running clock during the 3rd quarter. Option of losing head coach. Running clock becomes mandatory at start of 4th quarter. Entire verbiage can be found in the FHSAA Football Manual (p. 5) @ www.fhsaa.org.

Georgia Yes If a team trails by 30 or more points at halftime, their coach has the option to play the 3rd quarter with regular timing rules, or with a running clock. If a team trails by 30 or more points at the end of the 3rd quarter, the 4th quarter must be played with a running clock. Running Clock Rules: Clock will be stopped only: a) after a TD and until the kick off is legally touched by R, :blink: during deliberations for penalty administration, and c) during charged time-outs or officials time-outs.

Hawaii Yes At any time during the second half of a game, if the winning team is leading by 35 or more points, the clock will not stop for incomplete passes, change of possession, out of bounds plays, or first downs. The clock will stop for time-outs, any score, administration of penalties, and injuries. Should the winning team's lead go below 35 points, revert back to regular clock rules.

Idaho Yes In 8-man football, when one team is 45 or more points ahead at the end of the first half or if it secures such a lead during the second half, the game is ended immediately. This rule is not in effect during the state championship game.

Illinois Yes 40 point differential at the start end of the first half or anytime after during the second half will keep the clock running continuously except after score or a time-out.

Indiana No

Iowa Yes Beginning in second half, if point differential is 35 points or more, continuous clock except on scores, time-outs, officials time-out, between quarters. Periods can be reduced if mutual agreement of coaches and administration.

Kansas Yes In 8-man football - 45 pt. differential in 2nd half, the game is over (all season & all games). In 11-man football (regular season only) By league adoption running clock and/or game ending. Also by mutual agreement of administrators of two teams prior to game may adopt game ending procedures or Mercy Rule (seldom used)

Kentucky Yes 45-pt. running clock, halftime or later.

Louisiana

Maine No Utilize 3-1-3

Maryland Yes 1. If a 35-point differential exists in the second half, the clock will not be stopped when: a) ball goes out of bounds, :D forward pass is incomplete, c) score or touchback occurs (unless it reduces point spread to less than 35 points, d) fair catch is made or awarded. 2. The clock will continue to be stopped on all other situations as specified by Rule 3-4-4. NOTE: The use of this rule does not preclude the use of Rule 1-3-3, which reads "A period or periods may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, any remaining period may be shortened at any time or the game terminated."

Massachusetts

Michigan Yes The running clock, 35 pt. margin point differential rule will be used for all football games, regular season and playoffs, varsity and sub-varsity, high school and junior high/middle school. After the first half, any time the score differential reaches 35 pts.or more, the following changes, and only these changes, shall be made regarding the rules determining when the clock will and will not be stopped: The clock shall run continuously, except for the following situations when it will be stopped: a) time-outs (charged to a team), :D intermission (between 3rd and 4th quarters, and after a score), c) penalty enforcement (whistle to ready-for-play), and d) safety reasons (injuries, etc.). Normal timing procedures shall resume if the point differential is reduced to less than 35 points.

Minnesota No

Mississippi

Missouri Yes

Montana Yes We have a 35 pt. rule. When there is a difference of greater than 35 points, there is a running clock in the 2nd half. If the differential falls under 35 points, then we will revert back to normal timing procedures. This rule applies in all classifications, except our highest level.

Nebraska Yes Nebraska does not have a Mercy Rule for 11-man football. It does have a Mercy Rule for 6- and 8-man football. *When one team is 45 or more points ahead at the end of the first half or if it secures such a lead during the second half, the game is ended immediately. This applies to both regular and post season playoff games.

Nevada Yes For 8-man football only. 45 point difference after half time.

New Hampshire No

New Jersey

New Mexico Yes 11-man - When a team is 35 points ahead in the second half, we use a running clock, except for touchdowns and time-outs. 6-man - Anytime there is a 45 point differential, the game is over.

New York No

North Carolina No

North Dakota Yes Running clock in 2nd half when differential is 30 points or more.

Ohio No

Oklahoma No

Oregon Yes When a 45 pt. differential is reached at the half or at any time

thereafter, leagues have three options: a) terminate the game, :( running clock-stopped only for time-outs, injury, or scores, and c) alternative plan-teams file a report with the state association as to efforts to not run up the score, i.e. play, subs, etc.

Pennsylvania Yes Upon completion of the first half and one team gains a 35-point differential over its opponent, the clock shall be stopped only when an official's time-out is taken, a charged time-out is granted, a period ends, or a score occurs.

Rhode Island

South Carolina No Coaches agree to run the clock or cut quarters.

South Dakota Yes The South Dakota High School Activities Association Board of Directors just adopted a new mercy rule for football. The following merchy rule will be in place beginning with the 2006 season: When a team secures a 35 point lead in the second half, the clock will continue to run except for timeouts (team or official), after a change of possession, or after a score. If the point margin falls below 35 points, regulation timing resumes. If a team is 50 points or more ahead at the end of the first half or if it secures such a lead during the second half, the game is ended immediately. Regulation timing is followed in the first half regardless of the score. This rule will apply to all levels of play other than our largest classification.

Tennessee No

Texas Yes We do have a mercy rule; however, in 6-man football, when one team is 45 or more points ahead at the end of the first half or if a team achieves a 45 point lead during the second half, the game is ended immediately and in 11-man football we have no rule on point differential. Texas does not follow NFHS rules in football.

Utah Yes

Vermont No In 6-man football, when one team is 45 or more points ahead at the end of the first half or if a team achieves a 45 point lead during the second half, the game is ended immediately

Virginia Yes VHSL Mercy Rule beginning with the 2006 season: When a thirty-five (35) point differential is reached at half-time or at any point in the second half, the game clock will continue to run anytime there is an incomplete pass or the runner goes out of bounds. Should the point differential be reduced to less than thirty-five points, game officials will discontinue the use of this timing adjustment. This adoption will be utilized only during regular season games and at all levels (varsity and sub-varsity). The adjustment may not be utilized when Rule 3-1-3 is in effect.

Washington Yes In 11-man football we have no rule on point differential.

West Virginia No

Wisconsin Yes Running clock in second half, if differential reaches 35 points or more.

Wyoming Yes 45 point rule in the second half. Running clock.

States that participate - 28

The TSSAA should let a team like Red Boiling Springs play a non-region schedule. As I understand it, if they do that for football, they can't play in the postseason in any sport. Get the FCS and Trousdales off the schedule at least for a few years, play teams that are just starting programs or others that haven't had a lot of success. That still doesn't guarantee they'd win a lot, but at least they'd have a chance.

I thought they did? Pickett County used to. And King's Academy and Tennessee School for the Deaf are doing it as well.

That is extremely excessive! If my child were playing on that winning team, I would really be questioning what kind of person that coach is to run up a score like that. I have been on both sides of a game like this (well maybe not this excessive) but it comes to a point where it's really not fun for either side anymore. 91-0 is just trying to humiliate someone and I think that's sad, there is always something a coach can do to prevent scoring again. I'm all for younger kids getting to come in and play and all that, but trying to humiliate the kids on the other team is uncalled for.

And what would you question about the coach if your child was the one that the coach told to take a knee or not give 100% or punt on first down???????

The way I see it, do all you can to keep the score down, but only to a point. Send your freshman and JV guys in, but no punting on first, no running just dives. Especially if the other team still has their varsity in. The kids work hard to finally get to play and then they have to run dives because the other team is not that good and can't stop them. Sounds like the problem falls on the defense to me. If the freshman and JV are killing them with sweeps and bubble passes, too bad. I get tired of going to games and seeing the backup QB who is a senior, not get to throw because that may be unsportsmanlike. A team should expect no mercy on the field. The coach, as long as he is not doing it intentionally, should be allowed to give his kids the chance to score. They are taught to play to score, why not let them. Heck, if you want to keep the game respectable you might as well tell the kids not to tackle, I mean you don't want them to execute plays that can score, so why run plays to stop the other team from scoring.

The way I see it, do all you can to keep the score down, but only to a point. Send your freshman and JV guys in, but no punting on first, no running just dives. Especially if the other team still has their varsity in. The kids work hard to finally get to play and then they have to run dives because the other team is not that good and can't stop them. Sounds like the problem falls on the defense to me. If the freshman and JV are killing them with sweeps and bubble passes, too bad. I get tired of going to games and seeing the backup QB who is a senior, not get to throw because that may be unsportsmanlike. A team should expect no mercy on the field. The coach, as long as he is not doing it intentionally, should be allowed to give his kids the chance to score. They are taught to play to score, why not let them. Heck, if you want to keep the game respectable you might as well tell the kids not to tackle, I mean you don't want them to execute plays that can score, so why run plays to stop the other team from scoring.

Sattefield does not dress freshmen so that he can say he only has 23 players on the team. Do you really believe that a school like Trousdale would only have 23 players on the roster? Kids would give anything to be on that team, because you are guaranteed a ring in your four-year career. Satterfield has been known to run it up consistently throughout his tenure as a headcoach. Why are giving him a break? Here is the thing, David Lipscomb wins big every week, but their coach is not known for running it up on you. The reason is because he knows that once he reaches a certain point, he will let up. He won't through it. Satterfield will purposefully try to put 90 up this weekend so that he can send a message to the teams around 1-A that he is back.

Also, if your freshmen team is in and you are throwing the ball up by 50 you should be fired. Freshmen play JV to get to run the real offense, they do not play varsity to get to do it. Dives and traps are all they should run, maybe an occasional toss. That is the entire point of having JV games, so they won't feel let out and they get to learn football during the Monday night games. Freshmen must learn that you have to earn it before you get to play in front of the big crowds on Friday nights.

There are a # of things to do as a coach to try to hold down the score vs. an overmatched opponent:

1. Run the ball between the tackles

2. Use MAXIMUM amount of clock time between plays

3. EMPTY that bench

4. Tell refs to make very strict calls on your team

5. Call wrong type def. adjustments vs. their offense

6. Call wrong off. plays that run into the strength of their defense

7. Etc. Etc.

Bottom line, tho, it's our job to stop 'em. We've been drilled before on the field; it ain't fun, but that's a part of life. If their freshmen & JV's are kicking our butts so be it; as long as a team is not leaving in the Varsity starters & running it up.