District 11aa

wareagleblue

I am curious how often it happens that one school collects every major district award in the same year? Harpeth's boy's and girl's basketball teams were regular season and district tournament champions. Scott Newton and Mandy Mendenhall were district regular season MVPs and Salem Richardson and Kevin Giltner were District Tournament MVPs. Coach Jamie Wilson and Coach Johnson both won Coach Of The Year honors. What a great reflection on Harpeth Hgh School and their basketball programs and support staff. The season isn't over yet, let's try to accomplish the same at Regions.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a coach who cant get his players to "respond", has "no clue how to motivate", is "an idiot for disciplining his players", and "has coached the girls out of reaching their potential" I would say Coach Johnson has done a pretty good job this season. He avoided the "Sycamore sweep" and instead his team swept the season and tourney titles. I guess he was able to handle the "internal factors" and keep his team from "imploding". If I had to guess the "lovefest" has continued past December and will continue for years to come. Congrats to the Lady Indians and Coach J

"Coach J" had a very successful first year as head coach b/c he inherited an already winning-prepped team, and two very talented players in Mendenhall and Richardson. We'll see how good of a coach he is next year.

:thumb: What's up with the coach bashing?

Any coach is only as good as the talent surrounding him. A great coach would have trouble after losing 2 players like Mendenhall and Richardson if they don't have new talent to replace the ones that are leaving. Doesn't mean they aren't a great coach at all. This isn't college ball or even Shelbyville where the talent is attracted to the program. Some of it's luck and some of it's hard work, but little of that is in the high school coach's hands until he gets them.

Cheatham County has a good foundation for basketball across the county with the Jr. Pro league, the middle school program and the success that the high school teams have had in recent years. It's no coincidence that Harpeth, Cheatham and Sycamore are going to regions in boys and girls. There's a pretty good youth system in place. Still, there will be peaks and valleys in a closed zone public school system. That's the nature of the beast. Mandy Mendenhalls and Salem Richardsons do not grow on trees.

"Coach J" had a very successful first year as head coach b/c he inherited an already winning-prepped team, and two very talented players in Mendenhall and Richardson. We'll see how good of a coach he is next year.

He was coaching that same "already winning-prepped team" at the beginning of the season when those comments were made on this thread. So it sounds to me when the team struggled (most in the state would like to stuggle like Harpeth) it was the coaching, but when they started playing well it is simply because of the team he inherited. I understand the cupboard was pretty full when he arrived, but I still think the cook deserves a little credit.

Phil Carr

Ed Derrick

Drew Johnson

ALL THREE OF THESE GUYS ARE EXCELLENT BASKETBALL COACHES WHOSE PROGRAMS WILL HAVE TO BE RECKONED WITH YEAR IN & YEAR OUT BY ANYONE WHO'S HOPING TO BE A STATE CONTENDER IN CLASS AA!!!!!

Agree with you 100% BC.

ks called me earlier and got me all worked up about the shots that people were taking at Coach Johnson. After a car problem and about 4 hours, I lost the fire I had when I wanted to respond.

This is not the same Lady Indians team as they were at the end of last season. Not just roster-wise, but mindset-wise. This was a team struggling through many more issues than what was on the surface. Coach Johnson stepped in and took control. He has taken their overall defense to the next level (every game something has visibly improved). They are conditioned WAY better than they have been in the past. He has implemented a totally new offensive scheme. He is getting good or better performance from the bench, which is VERY, VERY shallow.

IMHO, he inherited a team that had much more potential to fail than succeed. Will he struggle next year? You bet he will, any coach, Phil Carr included, would. Will they be the bottom of the barrel, nope, because the work ethic that has been instilled this year will pay off. They will be young and very thin, but hustle and defense will get them in the top 4 of the district.

Agree with you 100% BC.

ks called me earlier and got me all worked up about the shots that people were taking at Coach Johnson. After a car problem and about 4 hours, I lost the fire I had when I wanted to respond.

This is not the same Lady Indians team as they were at the end of last season. Not just roster-wise, but mindset-wise. This was a team struggling through many more issues than what was on the surface. Coach Johnson stepped in and took control. He has taken their overall defense to the next level (every game something has visibly improved). They are conditioned WAY better than they have been in the past. He has implemented a totally new offensive scheme. He is getting good or better performance from the bench, which is VERY, VERY shallow.

IMHO, he inherited a team that had much more potential to fail than succeed. Will he struggle next year? You bet he will, any coach, Phil Carr included, would. Will they be the bottom of the barrel, nope, because the work ethic that has been instilled this year will pay off. They will be young and very thin, but hustle and defense will get them in the top 4 of the district.

He may struggle early next year but I promise you that Harpeth will once again be in the thick of things when the district tourney is back at CCCHS in Februray of 2008. Drew & Clint are doing an excellent job over there and not only are the winners on the court but they are both excellent human beings off the court as well.

Good Luck to all 11AA teams tomorrow night!!!! This one night break from all of the tourney action may not be enough for me to handle anymore (3 of the last 4 games have gone to overtime) :thumb::lol: WE ARE ALL GETTING OUR MONEY'S WORTH!!!!!

BC

I know I needed the break. I'm not sure I have recovered from Tuesday night.

Best of luck to all four teams 11AA in their first round region games tomorrow night. I'll be out of pocket, but will be looking forward to finding out what happened through the site.

Give me a call tomorrow night and I'll let you know what happened :thumb: