I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

DZ, did you take a nap at the end of the game? The final was 57-43.

I too want to honor Haley Chambers. The lone Senior to stay and play for 4 years, I admire her willingness to do whatever she needed to do to help her team. She played as an undersized post, but used all of her abilities to stand up to many players taller than her. She battled every time she got on the floor. She might set the most solid pick in the conference!! I am truly sorry that she was unable to play the past two weeks, and I am hoping that the Lady Patriots can win Wednesday so as to ensure a Regional spot, and hopefully another chance for Haley to suit up.

She is an outstanding student and great lady, I know great things are ahead of her!! Thank you Haley for being a good freind to my daughter and a role model for the Lady Patriots. B)B)

Sorry forgot to flip the page, calm down :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time responder. I'm just a lady red parent. I have to much time and to little to do, so some random thoughts on CCHS and the I-MAC before the tournament.

Congrats to the Lady Red. Please remember this team was a 1 win team going into last year's tournament. Not only did we just win 1 game, we lost 20 of our 30 games by double digits and most were over before half time. We were rated 107 at the end of the year. Among the top 8 from last year to the top 8 this year, there was only a change of 3 girls - adding Nikki Bryant - back really from 2 full years of injury including an ACL and our 2 freshmen.

We go from 1 win to 16 playing basically the same schedule. We had 10 loses, only 5 in double digits (G'ville (2), Bearden, JC, GP) - four of those have twenty+ wins. The other five loses were 5 points or less - ME, Rutledge (at home), Bearden (2OT) and Cherokee (2). Last year was the longest year, this year was was much more fun, yet still very frustrating.

We go 8-8 in AAA games and then lose only to Rutledge and GP in AA games. Against teams with winning records, we beat a good Campbell Co. team, beat Sullivan Central at there place to open the season and then Mo East at AAA level. Rutledge I think is the only AA school with a winning record that we beat at their place. Plus we have 4 wins over 2 teams rated in the bottom five of the class - Knox Central (AAA) and Carter(AA)

While it has been a better year, it is still frustrating

1. For CCHS we have for more talent for us that we have had in a long time. It has been my observation, CCHS usually doesn't have lots of individual talent. Down through the years, we usually have a player or two, but not much to help them. Why?

A. We have a horrible feeder system - 9 elementary schools (no middle schools), and little if any summer ball.

B. We have such a "culture" of losing at CCHS that no one wants to play - outside of volleyball, tennis and occasionaly softball, all our sports (boys and girls) just lose and usually lose badly - especially the past couple of years. We have some good athletes walking the halls who just don't play.

C. The winning of Cosby basketball - there is some talent in the county but everybody wants to go where you win - and I don't blame them - outside of Newport Grammar, 2/3's of everybody else goes to Cosby.

So when we have some talent, it is frustrating not to play better. We have as big a back line as any team. We have become so depentent on our freshman, that others have stagnated and we are just an undiscipled team - especailly when we have the ball. We lose Nikki - while not a great scoring threat, she blocks lots of shots and gets lots of rebounds. She and Shannon should have been able to create a great high/low post game. If someone could get a hold of her and teach her touch around the board, she would be a tough player. We lose Jerrica Lane - who in the last month has played finally inside the 3 point line and contributed greatly. While we have 5 players who have lots of expereince returning, we have let a season go by, where it will be hard to replace what we lose.

2. It is also frustrating b/c we play out best ball in the open court. In IMACgames, we go away from the press and run less. While our defense is better and at times good, our offensive in the half-court is so ineffective you could almost go to sleep watching it. Very, very little discipline. Our half-court offensive is "spread" and leave the middle to Shannon. She can score but she is doubled often and picks up charging fouls.

Having said that, Depew, Buhda, Suggs, Lewis and Lloyd have played together for many years (5-6) and have won lots of ball games and titles. They will have 2 years together and already have lots of expereince (Suggs, Lewis and Lloyd have already had 2 full years at the high school level). They will work hard this summer. We will have to create depth. They all have weaknesses to improve.

All in all, it has been a good year. But this is a tournament sport, so the season now begins. If Nikke scores 10 points and we make 4 threes a game and keep everything else equal, I like our chances. But it will be a very competitive tournament. I expect a very phsyical game against East. Officiating will be a key role, if they officiate as has been during the season and let them play, it will be a tough game for us b/c of their depth.

Best teams we have played: 1 - Bearden - I really like their height and athletic abilty. 2 Greenville. Love G'ville's ability to defend. They just get after you. 3. GP - they remind me lots of Cherokee, very deliberate - with better athletes.

Worst loss: 1. Rutledge 2. ME - 2 struggling teams to shot, 3 lousy officals and 4 very clutch free throws. 3. Both Cherokee games, b/c we played their game and not ours.

POY in IMAC. 1. Deans - I want my daughter to play likes she does, defense first, rebound second, step out a make a shot when needed. 2 Dickson - reminds me of Holsclasw, so smooth that you don't know if see is working hard. 3. Price - I love her ability to be the point forward. Is the smartest player in the IMAC, makes her team better. 4. Depew - if she has offensive help where she will not be double and triple team, then a true All-State type performer in years to come. 5 Elliott - she has just worn us out for two years with her shooting.

Tournament prediction: Obviously, I like Greenville, though I think they better come to play. I also like the way Cherokee plays. As long as they don't fall behind, their style works and their draw is away from G'ville. Also, I expect whoever gets a regional home game to win. I don't think we are as bad a conference as some think. And don't count out a regional semi-final win either- their is enough evidence to suggest that the IMAC could win against Tennessee, DB and SH.

Lots of people talk about G'ville and their coaching staff. Bottom line for me, check how many points they give up. That is the sign of a well coach team. They have a great 1 - 2 scoring punch in Deans/Dickson. If their guards make shots, they are a major league team. I have never seen them play full-court defense. They play it so well in the half-court, I just wonder if it would create more offensive for them. State ranking mean nothing. It's survive and advance. They will do very well. I would not talk about the 3 coaches at G'ville, rather the 4 coaches at G'ville. The girls bb coach at Greenville Middle is a better coach than 3/4 of the teams CCHS plays. What a feeder system into GHS.

Finally, officiating. I don't think we have any better or any worse officials in our conference than in others. I just know that I don't know what a foul is any longer. For me, games (boys and girls) are way to physical. College games have been modeled on the NBA and high school games modeled on college games. I can live with bad calls b/c usually calls work themselves out in most games. I don't believe that any official calls for or against any team. Though I do believe some have some tendency to call fouls against some players b/c they have seen them so much. Physical games though allow for more "chirping" on and off the court and lots of less sportsmanship on and off the court. I don't like that at all. Good forceful officiating could control lots of that. I would like to see much stronger leadership by ADs to control fans and players - toss out a few fans (including our own), put some players on the bench for a few games and then demand the offical's association not be lazy on the court, not to believe that they are the star attraction and to clean up the game. We have may 2 hour games and foul out lots of people, but the players will adjust. If they don't want to, then get some parents out of the stands to call the games.

Way to much rambling. It has been a fun year. Good luck to your team. Go Lady Red!

First time responder. I'm just a lady red parent. I have to much time and to little to do, so some random thoughts on CCHS and the I-MAC before the tournament.

Congrats to the Lady Red. Please remember this team was a 1 win team going into last year's tournament. Not only did we just win 1 game, we lost 20 of our 30 games by double digits and most were over before half time. We were rated 107 at the end of the year. Among the top 8 from last year to the top 8 this year, there was only a change of 3 girls - adding Nikki Bryant - back really from 2 full years of injury including an ACL and our 2 freshmen.

We go from 1 win to 16 playing basically the same schedule. We had 10 loses, only 5 in double digits (G'ville (2), Bearden, JC, GP) - four of those have twenty+ wins. The other five loses were 5 points or less - ME, Rutledge (at home), Bearden (2OT) and Cherokee (2). Last year was the longest year, this year was was much more fun, yet still very frustrating.

We go 8-8 in AAA games and then lose only to Rutledge and GP in AA games. Against teams with winning records, we beat a good Campbell Co. team, beat Sullivan Central at there place to open the season and then Mo East at AAA level. Rutledge I think is the only AA school with a winning record that we beat at their place. Plus we have 4 wins over 2 teams rated in the bottom five of the class - Knox Central (AAA) and Carter(AA)

1. For CCHS we have for more talent for us that we have had in a long time. It has been my observation, CCHS usually doesn't have lots of individual talent. Down through the years, we usually have a player or two, but not much to help them. Why?

A. We have a horrible feeder system - 9 elementary schools (no middle schools), and little if any summer ball.

B. We have such a "culture" of losing at CCHS that no one wants to play - outside of volleyball, tennis and occasionaly softball, all our sports (boys and girls) just lose and usually lose badly - especially the past couple of years. We have some good athletes walking the halls who just don't play.

C. The winning of Cosby basketball - there is some talent in the county but everybody wants to go where you win - and I don't blame them - outside of Newport Grammar, 2/3's of everybody else goes to Cosby.

So when we have some talent, it is frustrating not to play better. We have as big a back line as any team. We have become so depentent on our freshman, that others have stagnated and we are just an undiscipled team - especailly when we have the ball. We lose Nikki - while not a great scoring threat, she blocks lots of shots and gets lots of rebounds. She and Shannon should have been able to create a great high/low post game. If someone could get a hold of her and teach her touch around the board, she would be a tough player. We lose Jerrica Lane - who in the last month has played finally inside the 3 point line and contributed greatly. While we have 5 players who have lots of expereince returning, we have let a season go by, where it will be hard to replace what we lose.

2. It is also frustrating b/c we play out best ball in the open court. In IMACgames, we go away from the press and run less. While our defense is better and at times good, our offensive in the half-court is so ineffective you could almost go to sleep watching it. Very, very little discipline. Our half-court offensive is "spread" and leave the middle to Shannon. She can score but she is doubled often and picks up charging fouls.

Having said that, Depew, Buhda, Suggs, Lewis and Lloyd have played together for many years (5-6) and have won lots of ball games and titles. They will have 2 years together and already have lots of expereince (Suggs, Lewis and Lloyd have already had 2 full years at the high school level). They will work hard this summer. We will have to create depth. They all have weaknesses to improve.

All in all, it has been a good year. But this is a tournament sport, so the season now begins. If Nikke scores 10 points and we make 4 threes a game and keep everything else equal, I like our chances. But it will be a very competitive tournament. I expect a very phsyical game against East. Officiating will be a key role, if they officiate as has been during the season and let them play, it will be a tough game for us b/c of their depth.

Best teams we have played: 1 - Bearden - I really like their height and athletic abilty. 2 Greenville. Love G'ville's ability to defend. They just get after you. 3. GP - they remind me lots of Cherokee, very deliberate - with better athletes.

Worst loss: 1. Rutledge 2. ME - 2 struggling teams to shot, 3 lousy officals and 4 very clutch free throws. 3. Both Cherokee games, b/c we played their game and not ours.

POY in IMAC. 1. Deans - I want my daughter to play likes she does, defense first, rebound second, step out a make a shot when needed. 2 Dickson - reminds me of Holsclasw, so smooth that you don't know if see is working hard. 3. Price - I love her ability to be the point forward. Is the smartest player in the IMAC, makes her team better. 4. Depew - if she has offensive help where she will not be double and triple team, then a true All-State type performer in years to come. 5 Elliott - she has just worn us out for two years with her shooting.

Tournament prediction: Obviously, I like Greenville, though I think they better come to play. I also like the way Cherokee plays. As long as they don't fall behind, their style works and their draw is away from G'ville. Also, I expect whoever gets a regional home game to win. I don't think we are as bad a conference as some think. And don't count out a regional semi-final win either- their is enough evidence to suggest that the IMAC could win against Tennessee, DB and SH.

Lots of people talk about G'ville and their coaching staff. Bottom line for me, check how many points they give up. That is the sign of a well coach team. They have a great 1 - 2 scoring punch in Deans/Dickson. If their guards make shots, they are a major league team. I have never seen them play full-court defense. They play it so well in the half-court, I just wonder if it would create more offensive for them. State ranking mean nothing. It's survive and advance. They will do very well. I would not talk about the 3 coaches at G'ville, rather the 4 coaches at G'ville. The girls bb coach at Greenville Middle is a better coach than 3/4 of the teams CCHS plays. What a feeder system into GHS.

Finally, officiating. I don't think we have any better or any worse officials in our conference than in others. I just know that I don't know what a foul is any longer. For me, games (boys and girls) are way to physical. College games have been modeled on the NBA and high school games modeled on college games. I can live with bad calls b/c usually calls work themselves out in most games. I don't believe that any official calls for or against any team. Though I do believe some have some tendency to call fouls against some players b/c they have seen them so much. Physical games though allow for more "chirping" on and off the court and lots of less sportsmanship on and off the court. I don't like that at all. Good forceful officiating could control lots of that. I would like to see much stronger leadership by ADs to control fans and players - toss out a few fans (including our own), put some players on the bench for a few games and then demand the offical's association not be lazy on the court, not to believe that they are the star attraction and to clean up the game. We have may 2 hour games and foul out lots of people, but the players will adjust. If they don't want to, then get some parents out of the stands to call the games.

Way to much rambling. It has been a fun year. Good luck to your team. Go Lady Red!

Great post! You bring up a lot of good points. The mighty, mighty Lady ROOOOOOSTERS can make some noise I believe in the region if they can get by a pesky East squad. Playing in front of the home crowd WILL make the difference in a Lady Red win over the Lady 'Canes. If the coach at CCHS can't win with the talent he has by next year, I don't know what the problem is, but what a great improvement over years past.

good well thought post......looking forward to tommorrow night....hopefully tournament minded officiating ......also believe that both these teams havent even scratched the surface of the talent they both have...Go Lady Canes have a safe strong tournament

Thats a great post. So much to comment on.

I'll post some thoughts later on in the day.

Well the post-season begins today. After about 3 weeks of coin-flip games.....2 more on tap today.

I'll take Morristown East and Cherokee.

I think East is too deep and athletic for Cocke County, hence the pick. East should've won the first game going away. But really - the second game was a toss-up with both teams shooting so poorly. Either team will have the chance to win, just depends on which team is shooting well.

Cherokee had Jeff County beat in game number one...but the last 6 games of the conference season, Cherokee was 4-2 (losses to West and GHS) and really closed games down the stretch. They overcame 3 4th quarter deficits (2x to Cocke County and once to East) including two in the last 4 minutes (Cocke County and East).

Cherokee has really learned to finish games and they seem to be peaking at the right time.

But all four teams have a recent of history of losing the games they shouldnt, especially in post-season.

all you homers are talking like greeneville is so darn good. they are an average team with a below average coaching staff. dixon and deans are good high school players and the rest are just average. if not for such an athlete such as dixon i don't think greeneville wins half their games.

Is Greeneville an "average" team? Okay, I will say that I think they are beatable. Unfotunately, almost no one that they have played thus far has been able to prove this theory. If they are not that good, then they have fooled not only me, but a majority of the AP voters, since they are now ranked #1. And I'm not a 'homer', I'm from a different conference............