Tullahoma to region 3 5A ?

Falconstatman

Heard a rumor tonight that Tullahoma was moving up to play in region 3 5A next year and Cumberland Co. was moving down to 4a next year. Just wondering if anyone else has heard this. This would put Tullahoma in with Lincoln Co. Franklin co., Coffee co. and others, Tullahoma already plays F.C. and C.C., and I have heard that they had almost worked out a deal to start playing L.C. next year.

Tullahoma would have to agree with this since they still have the enrollment to play 4A. You can move up in class, but not down, from what I have been told. I would love to see this happen, because it would give us (L.C.) an opponent that is just 25 miles down the road, instead of some of the long road trips that we have now, and renew an old rivalery with Tullahoma that we had for many years.

Just wondering if this is going to happen, or is it just wishful thinking :blink:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tullahoma or any other team wanting to move up in classification will have to wait another 2 years. They are locked into their present regions for a 4 year period. You can move ONLY if you have a 20 percent change in enrollment ( which Cumberland County has). 2009 will be the earliest you could move. Edited by oldkob

Tullahoma or any other team wanting to move up in classification will have to wait another 2 years. They are locked into their present regions for a 4 year period. You can move ONLY if you have a 20 percent change in enrollment ( which Cumberland County has). 2009 will be the earliest you could move.

From what I was told the TSSAA was wanting to add Tullahoma to 3 5A and drop Cumberland Co. down to 4A, to which region I don't know. I was under the understanding that you could move up if you wanted but you had to have a big drop in enrollment (Cumberland Co.) to go down.

I don't blame Tullahoma for moving up and getting away from the Nashville schools that regularly don't bring hardly anyone at all the their games, regardless of their record. They already play Hillsboro and Maplewood and a few other teams in their current region that have very good programs, so they are used to the competition.

i think what the deal is is next season tullahoma will need a week 10 game next year

because hickman co now has or will have 2 high schools and the hickman co school system has petitioned the tssaa for membership for the new school and also petitioned for hickman co to move too 2A

now hickman co can't compete in 4A but it will really hurt the school when their enrollment is cut in half

there is not alot of open week 10 games in tennessee is maybe a week zero lincoln co/tullahoma might be in order

Tullahoma or any other team wanting to move up in classification will have to wait another 2 years. They are locked into their present regions for a 4 year period. You can move ONLY if you have a 20 percent change in enrollment ( which Cumberland County has). 2009 will be the earliest you could move.

The TSSAA is allowed to make exceptions every once in a while. Its unfair that a team with double or triple the amount of support be playing the lower funded programs. It doesn't happen often, but in cases like these the league will make some adjustments. In fact I believe there is a dilemma in one of the other 3A regions in that 10 teams were promised a spot in that region for next year.

The TSSAA is allowed to make exceptions every once in a while

The T$$AA makes up the rules as they go. The only exceptions that should be made are when schools split i.e. Hickman County. Not when they want to rearrainge regions. Schools should play in the classification that is designated per enrollment or do away with the 5 classification system.

As for football, at this time, going 5A brings nothing to the table for Tullahoma. Sure, they will have a better opportunity to make the playoffs more consistantly in 3-5A, but what do you get, Rutherford County region first two or three rounds.

No difference than staying where they are and competing with Hillsboro and who ever else transports athletes across town to build their program.

Coach Olive is a practicle man, long term, chances of making a run in the playoffs are better in 4A if they can get by the metro schools.

As for revenue, no doubt more gate money will be brought in by going 5A. The Nashville schools don't even travel to home games. But I don't think that its going to be as much ( money ) as they might think. Teams travel well when they are winning.

There are a few situations in that area like this. Not only Tullahoma but Shelbyville has also expressed interest in playing 5A football. I do not expect them to be down for long they will be back. Metro needs to stay metro and they will agree to that. Nobody from Metro wants to go to Bedford, Coffee, Hickman counties to play football. This is obvious from the attendance of these teams at away games. It would be a much better situation for all parties if you let metro play metro and if they need some teams they need to come from another metropolitan situation like Clarksville. All Tullahoma and Shelbyville want is there old region back and I see no reason notto gie it to them.