Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

compusatman,

I only mentioned various freshman here because a previous poster threw it out that Ralphie boy and the Bluff City community were excited about their freshman class, implying that would keep their coach there. I was merely pointing out, and attempting to be polite, that there are groups of freshman, that in my humble opinion, offer as much or more promise.... including the Science Hill freshman. I pointed toward just a few freshman that offer promise on a few teams - ones that I have seen play. THUS, the reason I did not mention any current sophomores. (Oh, and believe me, no one has forgotten the Spin Dr. Looking forward to seeing him unleashed at 100% next season).

Sorry for going off subject... I don't get a paper, so has any OFFICIAL announcments been made from the Hill or are we just talking to ourselves here. Thanks

C'mon Satch I knew it was a freshman thing...I was just trying to rev you up a bit. Read my post again...in particular the last sentence. Ha!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone is missing the point here...including Dr. Waco. It's called money. First of all, when Volman and I eluded to this issue 4/5 weeks ago in 2 different threads no one caught it. Why would we know about this 5 weeks ago. Especially if SHHS was shopping for a George Quarles type. Because SHHS is not shopping for a George Quarles type...it costs too much money. Money smart people can't justify unless they have guaranteed results. There are no guarantees. Instead, the smart money looks to the up and coming i.e. "Hungry" individual in search of a jewel in the rough. He is provided with a rare opportunity and a free hand in exchange for compensation when "you make it happen". It's a match made in heaven. SHHS gets a state championship sanctified vision, they pay less money than their previously unsuccessful coach made, and Ralphie boy gets a chance at the big time! I've said it before here and I'll say it again...Why move to a 2-a-day school when you can start your own! Ralph Nelson spends 5 years at SHHS and then gets a college gig. The timing is right and trust me...in NET we have the skill positions and just as much as the rest of the state. We DO NOT have the coaches to take them to the next level. But our weak point is linemen. Ralph Nelson will take the term lineman and turn it into a skill position...a weapon. If my son were at SHHS I would be ecstatic. And you people are sad that Bowles got the axe...get a grip. So, if Nelson is a 'Topper then look out because it's his chance of a lifetime and I don't see him blowing it.

I don't believe you could be happy (let alone Ecstatic) anywhere! Be honest with yourself for just once!

Even good coaches need good athletes. East has nothing! To win more than 5 games in a season at East is a great accomplishment. He has done some great things for the East community aside from football. This will be a huge blow to them. But, with that being said, a man has to make a living.

I think Ralph Nelson has done a great job at Sullivan East. From where they were with 0-10 and 1-9 records, year after year. I think he has done well for what he has had to work with. I think most people know that, if there is a good football player coming up through the system to go to East, many times Tennessee High snatches them.

If Nelson comes to Science Hill, I think it will be a good thing! And bring those brothers of his too :angry:

The JC Press mentions today that a couple of assistant coaches from Maryville might be in the running (they don't mention names) but they do name a few.

Mike Turner

Lous Thompson (former coach of Unicoi County)

Dave Rider

Ralph Nelson

Brent Bledsoe (former Crockett Coach)

Greg Stubbs

Stacy Carter. Note that this is a wish list from Science Hill.

They say that they want to have someone picked by the beginning of next year and that they want that man to be a proven coach. This is all in the Nov. 17 paper of the JC Press.

Interesting. I still don't think that Ralph Nelson is the man for the job simply because he is still building a program over at Sullivan East. Some of you guys seemed convinced that he has the job......

I'll wait and see but this is all the info we have. Applications will come in for 10 days and then they will commence trying to find one person.

Are some of those canidates? Or did Doug Fritz just feel like to note some more names down?

Are some of those canidates? Or did Doug Fritz just feel like to note some more names down?

From what I understand Science Hill is serious about having one of the best football programs in the state. At least that is what Keith Turner the Athletic Director says, and why not? Science Hill football should be as competitive as their basketball and baseball programs.

From what I understand the list of coaches mentioned in the JC Press are people Science Hill would like to talk to.

Personally I think Dave Rider is getting some age on him and I wouldn't think he would be interested. Whoever does come in, I am sure there will be some pressure to produce.

There will be a team meeting on Monday, I should know more then.

Edited by PowrPlus

I've heard the Mike Turner rumor. With Carl Torbush as CN's Assistant Head Coach, the red man might be interested. If the Hill can lure him, he would be the obvious choice. Are the Toppers going to be competitive with the $$$? Year in, year out Science Hill looks as good on paper as anyone. So, this wouldn't be a rebuilding type thing, more like a change of atmosphere thing, topper people, am I right? Prime time job in my opinion. With a big athletic program such as yours, one would think that it needs to be addressed with a proven, can't miss head coach, in-order to get kids out, and to give the kids confidence. good luck on your search.

From what I understand Science Hill is serious about having one of the best football programs in the state. At least that is what Keith Turner the Athletic Director says, and why not? Science Hill football should be as competitive as their basketball and baseball programs.

I believe Keith will put forth his best effort to get the right fit. It will be a tough challenge given the sometimes contradictory pressures of what needs to happen and what some want to happen. I do, however, have faith in his motivation.