Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

What was kept pretty quiet back in the mid-90's when Turner returned to CN was that Ken Sparks had verbally accepted the head coaching job at Samford. Within 24 hours after "sleeping" on it, he changed his mind. Well, during this short time frame, Coach Turner was lured back to Jefferson City to take over the controls of Head Coach. So, the Eagle Club gladly put him as director to make up for the mishap. The red man is the real deal, a complete football coach blended with unbelievable people-skills. CN wouldn't let him go just too easy. Has any of the DB coaches been mentioned as a possibility?

the big money people at samford didn't want kenny.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word from Greene County and former teammate of Gregg Stubbs at ETSU is Stubbs has been contacted about this position and told that money would not be an issue and that he could possible bring two assistants along.

Since Stubbs played at ETSU and has spoken publicly about being in favor of getting football back at his alma mater, this makes since because the two schools will share the same field.

Class of ETSU 1970-74

Go Bucs

I agree. However, I find it hard to believe he went to Bristol to be content as an assistant with nothing else in the works. It will be interesting to see how he manuvers. Where did he attend high school?

He graduated from North.He really worked hard to build something but wasnt gettin any help from North A.D. boosters or not even much from the community itself.Of course coachs pay for county schools is horrindous.Tenn. High is paying he way more as a assistant than what he was gettin at North.Add to the fact there was no real commitment or support from the school or community along with the uncertainty of the future with the school and no feeder school.And the offer from Tenn. High was to much to pass on.I really believe he would be a great fit for the Hill and its community.I also believe he would get the support as far as school and community involvement.Once they seen his determination and commitment to excellance i believe they would be with him 100%.The Hill would be crazy not to give him consideration,like i said he would be a steal.And i for one would bet the farm that they would be very positive results, results that all parties involved would be proud of.

Word from Greene County and former teammate of Gregg Stubbs at ETSU is Stubbs has been contacted about this position and told that money would not be an issue and that he could possible bring two assistants along.

Since Stubbs played at ETSU and has spoken publicly about being in favor of getting football back at his alma mater, this makes since because the two schools will share the same field.

Class of ETSU 1970-74

Go Bucs

And hence Wamplers move from North to THS. This makes very good sense for Stubbs and Wampler. This did not happen last week. These things take time.

What was kept pretty quiet back in the mid-90's when Turner returned to CN was that Ken Sparks had verbally accepted the head coaching job at Samford. Within 24 hours after "sleeping" on it, he changed his mind. Well, during this short time frame, Coach Turner was lured back to Jefferson City to take over the controls of Head Coach. So, the Eagle Club gladly put him as director to make up for the mishap. The red man is the real deal, a complete football coach blended with unbelievable people-skills. CN wouldn't let him go just too easy. Has any of the DB coaches been mentioned as a possibility?

Has any of the DB coaches been mentioned as a possibility? I would think that both the DB and 'Topper camps would shy away from that notion. DB I think would not want to "take them to raise" and SH would not want to be spoon fed by DB looking to build their own success story.

None that I have heard of.

While a previous post regarding Coach Wampler coming to Tennessee High so that Coach Stubbs can take the job at SciHill with Coach Wampler taking over the helm of the Viking ship is pretty interesting at least from a "conspiricy theory" point of view, I have from a very reliable source that it won't happen.

I don't think Coach Stubbs is interested in starting over at this stage in his career. While the $$$$ I'm sure would be good, there are other things to be considered.

I'm not sure about Coach Wampler, he has only been here a year and we would certainly hate to lose such a quality coach, but with his resume and previous accomplishments who could blame him for taking a shot. I would hate to lose him, but would certainly wish him the best.

As for the hypothesized Stubbs and two assistants to the Hill with Wampler taking over at THS thoery, it makes for interesting discussion on the boards but I assure you that is all it is.

While a previous post regarding Coach Wampler coming to Tennessee High so that Coach Stubbs can take the job at SciHill with Coach Wampler taking over the helm of the Viking ship is pretty interesting at least from a "conspiricy theory" point of view, I have from a very reliable source that it won't happen.

I don't think Coach Stubbs is interested in starting over at this stage in his career. While the $$$$ I'm sure would be good, there are other things to be considered.

I'm not sure about Coach Wampler, he has only been here a year and we would certainly hate to lose such a quality coach, but with his resume and previous accomplishments who could blame him for taking a shot. I would hate to lose him, but would certainly wish him the best.

As for the hypothesized Stubbs and two assistants to the Hill with Wampler taking over at THS thoery, it makes for interesting discussion on the boards but I assure you that is all it is.

Actually, I was alluding to Stubbs going to ETSU not SHHS. I don't see Stubbs making a lateral move from Bristol to JC. Maybe I'm the one that misread the post from "split4or50". Sorry to confuse anyone.

The guy that sits across the hall from me at work is a JC S-H grad. In fact he played ball with Spurrier. He was telling me of all the potential that exists in JC. He and I were wondering (he is not too internet savvy) how is the movement to restore football to ETSU coming. Is there any possibility that a new stadium for ETSU and S-H could be worked out. Just wondering?

There is a movement to bring the program back. There is plenty of talk going around, and a push for private funds etc. Word is, that if it comes back it will be in a much smaller capacity. (Not that it was in a big one to start with) Most people I have spoke with believe it would be comarable to what happened at Austin Peay, revived in a D-II status. In addition, there are natural opponents at this level in Tusculum and Carson Newman. It is possible that it could come back at an even smaller level, such as a NAIA. You never know what the thinking is over there, look at the 'power conference' they put the basketball team in, and basketball was supposed to be the marquee sport after the demise of football.

An interesting series of posts and perhaps we need to start a new thread on the return of ETSU football.

I do not think Stubbs will leave THS for SHHS. Wampler probably has already applied along with most other county HS coaches in the area. My understanding of the current handicapping for the SHHS "horse race" is:

Nelson (East - coming hard on the inside track)

Outside the Region Pick (second and fading - money & "switching costs" are a problem)

Carter (South - gaining in the backstretch)

Rider (Volunteer - a long shot)

My understanding from the Committee for ETSU football was that they were proposing an outdoor stadium at Tri Cities Airport. To me, this was a losing proposition and one reason I did not really think their effort was serious. If, on the other hand, they have a chance at an on-campus outdoor stadium I think it would be a very good possibility.

Edited by lordofthescreens

My understanding of the current handicapping for the SCHS "horse race" is:

Nelson (East - coming hard on the inside track)

Outside the Region Pick (second and fading - money & "switching costs" are a problem)

Carter (South - gaining in the backstretch)

Rider (Volunteer - a long shot)

why would Carter from South, or Rider from Volunteer want to go to Sullivan Central? Both thier teams are on the rise. Thats a step down for Carter, and probally a lateral step for Rider.

Edited by sgoinseagle4life