Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

I talked with a couple of coaches/fans/people and I've found out that Science Hill is looking at a lot more people than you think. Basically, a lot of the coaches from high schools in the area have been approached to consider applying for the job. Now, I don't know if this is hullabub or whatever, but I'm not convinced that Ralph Nelson is a lock in for the job. I think Science Hill should look at a BIG NAME coach from the state level, not the local level.

Ralph also just bought a house in the Bluff City area, is already well established in the school.........I just don't see why he would want to move yet. Yes, the drive isn't that far.........but look at how Science Hill will treat you if you come out on the losing ends or even 50/50. If Ralph Nelson didn't/doesn't bring the program to 7-3 8-2 every year..........I don't see him lasting there long. Again, I think he has done good things at East since he has been there.......but nothing GREAT yet. I think he should stay where he is for the time being.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His daughter was a freshman/soph in high school at the time. She missed Jeff Co. (she and her brother grew up in Jeff Co. w/ dad being at C-N for many years) and was alittle homesick. He was there for two years ('92 & '93 seasons), 1st round in '92 (last year TSSAA took only the top two from each region), 3rd round in'93. Lost to Oak Ridge by 3 points in a driving rain storm. OR kicker had not made a FG all year and hit a 41 yarder. SHHS had a shot to tie with less than 10 seconds left and missed a chip shot to tie. Your son would love playing for the Red Man!

Topper,

Is Red Man interested? I think you may have played for him @ CN????

The question hasn't changed. Not who but how much? High profile coaches don't come solo. SH won't spend the money to bring in the people being profiled here. They have a budget and that will dictate who they get. They will attempt to get the most for their money but the budget itself rules out most of the people spoken of here.

Topper,

Is Red Man interested? I think you may have played for him @ CN????

Just know what I read in the Johnson City Rag (Press). I have not spoken with him personally about the opening. I do know he was and still is well thought of in Johnson City.

The Red Man has coached many over the years in Jefferson City & Johnson City.

I do think the world of Coach Turner and believe he would once again be a GREAT hire for Science Hill and Johnson City.

Edited by toppertownfan

Just know what I read in the Johnson City Rag (Press). I have not spoken with him personally about the opening. I do know he was and still is well thought of in Johnson City.

The Red Man has coached many over the years in Jefferson City & Johnson City.

I do think the world of Coach Turner and believe he would once again be a GREAT hire for Science Hill and Johnson City.

Did they not have some of the better success under him? Why did he leave or get fired?

While Ralph Nelson has been at East they have had marginally successful years and of course one good year. If he weren't there they would be lucky to win 2 games including the year they won 10. I used Holston Valley as an example of the inherit (lack of) quality in their feeder programs. Granted, 2 years ago Bluff City had a very good middle school team which will be in primetime in '07. If Nelson stays next year he has something to work with...if he moves on he leaves his successor a decent group. It was the first decent Bluff City team in 10 years and Holston Valley barely fields a team much less is competitive. I know a lot of people in that area...Hickory Tree, 421 etc. and they have the boys and they are animals...they just don't play football. They like guns and such. It will take someone like Ralph Nelson a bit longer than normal to create a tradition over there. The point is Nelson at East has pulled a rabbit out of the hat and if he leaves they won't have a magician.

Well how good was Matt Eads' team in middle school?

Well, if you really want to know what is going to happen just listen. Coach Carter is going to Science Hill and then Coach BECK, not Nelson, is going to Sull. South. Coach Carter is going to annouce his change after Christmas, Coach Beck cannot take the job till this Spring.

:o Cowboy, what horse did you ride into town on? I think you have your finger on the "pulse."

I have no dog in this hunt but I have been listening and the last word I heard around JC is the Job is Turner's (if he wants it).

Carter would be a good hire though.

Whoever gets it, best of luck. It just seems like being a head coach there in any sport (as of late) is a miserable job. From the outside looking in, the patience level for the SHHS faithful is very short for the head coaches.