Hillsboro and Maryville

LipscombBall3r

Congrats to the best team also best recruited team. Both teams recruit players and that is a fact.

Well if that is the case they need to fire their recruiting coordinator. Their Center was about 5'9 200 pounds. The Jr tackle is likely around 195 pounds soaking wet the truth be known. When Baker was out earlier in the season he was replaced by a 150 sophmore running back. Don't get me wrong all these kids did a great job but the theory that Maryville recruits and has monster players just stockpiled in a warehouse is hilarious. If you are going to state something as a fact lets hear the evidence.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville does recruit. Just to name a few; Ellis, White, Pinkerton, Gaylor and Quarles. Also, I believe Thompson is paid. Sorry, Rebels. Facts are facts.

MHS doesn't need to recruit. They win , therefore middle school kids want to go there. Same for Hillsboro in Nashville. Real recruiting comes from the privates who give $$$ for tuition imo .

Well if that is the case they need to fire their recruiting coordinator. Their Center was about 5'9 200 pounds. The Jr tackle is likely around 195 pounds soaking wet the truth be known. When Baker was out earlier in the season he was replaced by a 150 sophmore running back. Don't get me wrong all these kids did a great job but the theory that Maryville recruits and has monster players just stockpiled in a warehouse is hilarious. If you are going to state something as a fact lets hear the evidence.

Great post mhs. I crack up when I hear these recruiting tales. I looked at all 5 of the starters weight in the program I bought at the 1st Maryville game. Justin Huskey is Maryville's biggest lineman at 6' 230lbs. The starting 5 averages 212lbs. They were by far the smallest team I saw down in Murfreesboro. But! Those guys did a great job.

Maryville has good players but here is the reason that Maryville is winning big.

1. The coaching staff. There is not a better coaching staff in Tennessee. I would put Quarles and company against anyone in the country.

2. The kids in the program. Those young men are smart kids because of how good the school system is. They are also some dedicated kids. Those kids work their tails off. They buy into the system that the coaching staff has put in. Those kids get up early during the school year and workout before school starts. During the season those kids watch film on sundays. Then the skill players go out on the practice field and work on passing. During the off season they will still get up early and work out. Those skill players will get together and work on their passing. During the summer the upper classmen will go workout at 5:30 in the morning. Underclassmen will show up at 6:30 in the morning. On tuesdays and thursdays at 7:00 PM the freshmen will show up for passing drills. At 7:45 the upperclassmen will show up. They throw until it gets dark. I know some coaches that played at Maryville. They told me that at places they have coached at those kids there are no where close to being commited as the Maryville kids are. Those Maryville kids have so much pride it isn't even funny.

3. They get great support from the school system,students and the community. Maryville had the biggest crowd down there.

Well I knew we would get to that.

Of course there are no facts to back up a silly accusation such as this. Just hit and run, nothing intelligent or factual to the post. We got an open enrolment thread going as well.

There was never a question that the jealous haters would find a way to start explaining that the only way Maryville wins, is that they somehow cheat.

Question for you. If Maryville was to recruit, don’t you think everyone of the kids would be over 6-1 and weigh 235 and run the 40 in 4.5 or less or at least be bigger than some of the teams they beat?

Hey FBE I hope you all keep these haters over here lol-I'm so tired of it. Great game Rebs from your friendly neighborhood Alcoa fan :lol:

Edited by alcoafan72

Great post mhs. I crack up when I hear these recruiting tales. I looked at all 5 of the starters weight in the program I bought at the 1st Maryville game. Justin Huskey is Maryville's biggest lineman at 6' 230lbs. The starting 5 averages 212lbs. They were by far the smallest team I saw down in Murfreesboro. But! Those guys did a great job.

Maryville has good players but here is the reason that Maryville is winning big.

1. The coaching staff. There is not a better coaching staff in Tennessee. I would put Quarles and company against anyone in the country.

2. The kids in the program. Those young men are smart kids because of how good the school system is. They are also some dedicated kids. Those kids work their tails off. They buy into the system that the coaching staff has put in. Those kids get up early during the school year and workout before school starts. During the season those kids watch film on sundays. Then the skill players go out on the practice field and work on passing. During the off season they will still get up early and work out. Those skill players will get together and work on their passing. During the summer the upper classmen will go workout at 5:30 in the morning. Underclassmen will show up at 6:30 in the morning. On tuesdays and thursdays at 7:00 PM the freshmen will show up for passing drills. At 7:45 the upperclassmen will show up. They throw until it gets dark. I know some coaches that played at Maryville. They told me that at places they have coached at those kids there are no where close to being commited as the Maryville kids are. Those Maryville kids have so much pride it isn't even funny.

3. They get great support from the school system,students and the community. Maryville had the biggest crowd down there.

Great post as always :thumb:

I was at the Maryville game on Saturday and it was truly remarkable how good they are. Obviously coaching is probably the main reason why they have won 7 out of 9 state championships. However, it doesn't help that they get great athletes from all over the area...same for Alcoa. I know of at least two star players on the Alcoa football team that were zoned for Bearden and one Mr Football from Maryville that also lived in the Bearden zone. I don't have a problem with kids paying tution to go to Maryville city schools if they live outside of the city limits of Maryville. What I do have a problem with is that that anyone can go to Maryville if they have enough money. I'm not whinning on here, but seriously tell me why it is fair that a team that can offer education to any student outside its city limits for a "FEE" is not considered private. I can't phathom that and don't understand how TSSAA allows it to happen. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but would really appreciate an explanation of why this is allowed to happen. I can understand if a student athlete parents move into the Maryville and if a kid wants to play there, why not he is zoned to go to that school. I just want an educated response of why this is allowed to happen.

I was at the Maryville game on Saturday and it was truly remarkable how good they are. Obviously coaching is probably the main reason why they have won 7 out of 9 state championships. However, it doesn't help that they get great athletes from all over the area...same for Alcoa. I know of at least two star players on the Alcoa football team that were zoned for Bearden and one Mr Football from Maryville that also lived in the Bearden zone. I don't have a problem with kids paying tution to go to Maryville city schools if they live outside of the city limits of Maryville. What I do have a problem with is that that anyone can go to Maryville if they have enough money. I'm not whinning on here, but seriously tell me why it is fair that a team that can offer education to any student outside its city limits for a "FEE" is not considered private. I can't phathom that and don't understand how TSSAA allows it to happen. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but would really appreciate an explanation of why this is allowed to happen. I can understand if a student athlete parents move into the Maryville and if a kid wants to play there, why not he is zoned to go to that school. I just want an educated response of why this is allowed to happen.

1. Not everyone who wants to get in does. There is a waiting list for tution students, and no, athletes don't skip to the front.

2. You make it sound like Maryville is in the same company as BA or McCallie in terms of cost. The "fee" is a couple thousand a year, and makes up the difference in city taxes that a tuition student doesn't pay. Most people don't understand that if you live in the city, you pay city taxes and county taxes. If you live in the county, you do not pay city taxes. What Maryville does is great. It allows people to go to a good school and pay what they would have paid extra if they live in the city. I think it fits the very definition of "fair." If anyone complains that they can't afford Maryville, they are really saying the same thing as they can't afford to live in the city limits.

3. I wasn't aware that the TSSAA was an all-powerful organization that dictated the policies of local school districts in the name of fairness. I think what you were suggesting was that the TSSAA change Maryville's classification, not that they prevent Maryville from charging tuition for non-city residents. The key to Maryville's success as a school system has been the ample funding from city taxes and tuition, accountability with it's teachers, and lots of community involvement. I was in the Maryville system K-12 and I think it served me well. The emphasis was always academics first. I think alot of people tend to forget that not only does maryville play football, but they are one of the best school systems in the state, and an academic "feeder" school that sends kids to outstanding colleges every year. Something like 75 percent of my class went on to a four year University, and another 10 percent went on to a junior college or community college. More on top of that went to a trade school. Just about every student at Maryville continues their education. The TSSAA does not have the authority to stop tuition students from attending.

4. Maryville cannot be considered a Private school because they are not private. ANY student who lives in the city limits has a right to attend. Just because some people pay "tuition" to make up what they don't pay in taxes does not classify Maryville as a private school.

1. Not everyone who wants to get in does. There is a waiting list for tution students, and no, athletes don't skip to the front.

2. You make it sound like Maryville is in the same company as BA or McCallie in terms of cost. The "fee" is a couple thousand a year, and makes up the difference in city taxes that a tuition student doesn't pay. Most people don't understand that if you live in the city, you pay city taxes and county taxes. If you live in the county, you do not pay city taxes. What Maryville does is great. It allows people to go to a good school and pay what they would have paid extra if they live in the city. I think it fits the very definition of "fair." If anyone complains that they can't afford Maryville, they are really saying the same thing as they can't afford to live in the city limits.

3. I wasn't aware that the TSSAA was an all-powerful organization that dictated the policies of local school districts in the name of fairness. I think what you were suggesting was that the TSSAA change Maryville's classification, not that they prevent Maryville from charging tuition for non-city residents. The key to Maryville's success as a school system has been the ample funding from city taxes and tuition, accountability with it's teachers, and lots of community involvement. I was in the Maryville system K-12 and I think it served me well. The emphasis was always academics first. I think alot of people tend to forget that not only does maryville play football, but they are one of the best school systems in the state, and an academic "feeder" school that sends kids to outstanding colleges every year. Something like 75 percent of my class went on to a four year University, and another 10 percent went on to a junior college or community college. More on top of that went to a trade school. Just about every student at Maryville continues their education. The TSSAA does not have the authority to stop tuition students from attending.

4. Maryville cannot be considered a Private school because they are not private. ANY student who lives in the city limits has a right to attend. Just because some people pay "tuition" to make up what they don't pay in taxes does not classify Maryville as a private school.

Same for Alcoa btw their tuition is a paltry $400 a year-sure does sound like private school stuff to me

You need to get your facts right:

1. One of Alcoa's "star" players is zoned for Karns, not Bearden. ;)

2. The other "star" player may have started out in a Knoxville school, but he's lived in Alcoa since he started high school.

3. You want to look at why Maryville & Alcoa are so good? It starts when the kids are still in the womb. Both schools have excellent academics and athletics (top 10 in the state). Lot of alumni send their kids there. The kids in elementary list the high school football players as their heroes. Those high school kids spend time with the little ones. The peewee program is great, and from the time those kids start peewee they have a goal: win the state championship when they get to high school.

Everyone is wasting their breath talking about "open zone" schools. I'd bet my bottom dollar most school systems have them but more people in Blount County take advantage of Alcoa/Maryville than anywhere else because of our TRADITION.

Just what I wanted to hear. An educated response to my question. I agree with you on the school system in Maryville. I know many teachers in Knox County that would love to teach at Maryville. Now it makes alot more sense to me. It just goes to show you that when you start your kids playing together in the 3rd grade, by the time they are seniors they will be really good. Knoxville just doesn't have the feeder programs that Maryville/Alcoa has. Another question for ya. Lets say a kid is going to Alcoa and he decides he wants to go to Maryville the next year, would he be able to do that or what he be required to sit out a year.

Just what I wanted to hear. An educated response to my question. I agree with you on the school system in Maryville. I know many teachers in Knox County that would love to teach at Maryville. Now it makes alot more sense to me. It just goes to show you that when you start your kids playing together in the 3rd grade, by the time they are seniors they will be really good. Knoxville just doesn't have the feeder programs that Maryville/Alcoa has. Another question for ya. Lets say a kid is going to Alcoa and he decides he wants to go to Maryville the next year, would he be able to do that or what he be required to sit out a year.

I am not positive on this but I think for that to happen he would actually have to move into Maryville. Otherwise he would have to sit out a year. Like I said not positive but I believe that is the case.