Whats wrong with total public/private split?

mphstigerfan

Still looking for an answer. Why do the private schools oppose the idea of competing against each other? Public schools not good enough for you to send your kids to so why do you insist on competing against public schools?

Ummm.....Private schools do not oppose the idea of competing against each other. They do it every year. Stop whining and act like an adult. This is high school football, not the decline of western civilization.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still looking for an answer. Why do the private schools oppose the idea of competing against each other? Public schools not good enough for you to send your kids to so why do you insist on competing against public schools?

You know not all public schools are like Mount Pleasant. It`s a small school. There is a lot of good to be said about attending a small school. Some people happen to like small schools over large schools. In most cities the only place a kid has the opportunity to go to a small school is having to pay to go to a private one. If I lived in a rural area I would love the fact that my kid went to a small school. I`m fortunate that my daughter got into Madison.

1. We do play each other...it is called Division 1

2. You couch your terms as if we are elitists...we are not. It isn't necessarily that Public school isn't 'good enough'. Most d1 privates are Christian schools in metro areas...some parents choose them for the spiritual atmosphere, some for the decreased crime, some for academics, many for the small school community atmosphere. I know of very few who are elitist about it.

3. We insist on being treated as equal members in good standing with the

TSSAA. We have always played public schools...its just they didn't whine about it when they were pummeling us 10 years ago. I might turn the tables and ask Why do you insist that you get to vote in the National elections? After all, the majority of Americans live on the East and West Coasts...I think you should only get to vote for state races. National ones should be restricted to only those people who are like MOST Americans...big city coastal white people. How does that sound?

2. You couch your terms as if we are elitists...we are not. It isn't necessarily that Public school isn't 'good enough'. Most d1 privates are Christian schools in metro areas...some parents choose them for the spiritual atmosphere, some for the decreased crime, some for academics, many for the small school community atmosphere. I know of very few who are elitist about it.

TSSAA. We have always played public schools...its just they didn't whine about it when they were pummeling us 10 years ago. I might turn the tables and ask Why do you insist that you get to vote in the National elections? After all, the majority of Americans live on the East and West Coasts...I think you should only get to vote for state races. National ones should be restricted to only those people who are like MOST Americans...big city coastal white people. How does that sound?

Shhhhhhh....Stop shattering his argument baldcoach. He might develop a complex?

Unless your public team is packing heat at the games they play, I'm ok with playing public teams in sports but not sending my kids to your gangsta infested schools (just exaggerating a little here). If you can't see the difference, shame on you. Private school proponents don't have anything against publics when it comes to sports where you line them up and play and the best team wins. Is your only argument against privates based on choosing not to go to public schools or is it that you don't like losing to privates (be honest)?

Although mphstigerfan is upset about losing to a private school, his

question has merit. Your answer actually supports his supposition.

You state that parents choose "them" (private schools) for spiritual

reasons, decreased crime, academics, and community atmosphere.

Your response implies that public schools have the following:

a less desirable spiritual environment, more crime, worse academics,

and an undesirable big-school feel.

How does one consider himself or his school equal to these less desirable

members? And why would one wanted to be created as equal, when one

clearly states that the "two" are not equal?

I say lets beat them to it and kick the privates out of the TSSAA. The public schools should have the power to do that but if not then maybe the public schools should start their own athletic association and let Ronnie have his private schools all to himself.

A couple problems with this one.

1. The T$$AA board is just about all public school football minded gentleman, and I use the term loosely.

2. Brentwood Academy has the T$$AA in check right now. As soon as the T$$AA gives up, it's check-mate.

3. The T$$AA may not be around that much longer. So you might get your wish. Only problem is that the privates might get equal representation on the new board of directors. (Isn't that a cardinal sin? :thumb: )

4. If the publics tried to kick the privates out of the T$$AA, then the T$$AA would be in so much debt after the likes of Baylor, McCallie, Brentwood Academy, Knox Webb - do I dare go on with this list?, which by the way is loaded with money and would use it in a heartbeat for a legal battle - won back the right to be in the T$$AA and force a new set of board of directors with equal representation.

The privates should have had representation on the TSSAA

Board of Control, but how should that have happened?

The members vote right? Should the TSSAA have arbitrarily

appointed someone? Isn't there a non-voting private representative

on the Board of Control?

BOARD OF CONTROL

First Athletic District

Mike Reed, Morristown West High School, Morristown (President)

Term Expires December, 2007

Second Athletic District

Lynn Brown, Maryville High School, Maryville

Term Expires December, 2008

Third Athletic District

Tommy Layne, Sequatchie Co. High School, Dunlap

Term Expires December, 2006

Fourth Athletic District

Terry Looper, Cascade High School, Wartrace

Fifth Athletic District

Mike Tribue, McGavock High School, Nashville

Sixth Athletic District

Bryan True, Summertown High School, Summertown

Seventh Athletic District

Fred Kessler, Bolivar Central High School, Bolivar

(Vice President)

Eighth Athletic District

Sam Miles, Dyersburg High School, Dyersburg

Ninth Athletic District

Joe Davis, Manassas High School Memphis

A couple problems with this one.

1. The T$$AA board is just about all public school football minded gentleman, and I use the term loosely.

2. Brentwood Academy has the T$$AA in check right now. As soon as the T$$AA gives up, it's check-mate.

3. The T$$AA may not be around that much longer. So you might get your wish. Only problem is that the privates might get equal representation on the new board of directors. (Isn't that a cardinal sin? :thumb: )

4. If the publics tried to kick the privates out of the T$$AA, then the T$$AA would be in so much debt after the likes of Baylor, McCallie, Brentwood Academy, Knox Webb - do I dare go on with this list?, which by the way is loaded with money and would use it in a heartbeat for a legal battle - won back the right to be in the T$$AA and force a new set of board of directors with equal representation.

The Legislative Council does have private school representation:

LEGISLATIVE COUNCIL

First Athletic District

Richard Carroll, Sullivan North High School, Kingsport

Second Athletic District

Michael Reynolds, Farragut High School, Knoxville

Third Athletic District

Ed Foster, Ooltewah High School, Ooltewah (President)

Fourth Athletic District

Rick Martin, Watertown High School, Watertown

Fifth Athletic District

Steve Harris, Franklin Road Academy, Antioch

Sixth Athletic District

Mike Tatum, Lewis County High School, Hohenwald

Seventh Athletic District

Phil Rogers, Central-Merry High School, Jackson

Term Expires, December 2006

Eighth Athletic District

Dan Black, Crockett County High School, Alamo (Vice President) Term Expires December, 2008

Ninth Athletic District

John Malone, Treadwell High School Memphis

Because I pay my taxes just like you. My kids have every right to play in the State sponsored, tax supported, system as your kids. If you don't want my kids playing in the State sponsored, tax supported program, give me back my tax money.

No problem. Just don't use my roads to get to your school.