Whats wrong with total public/private split?

mphstigerfan

Here's my question.

Let's say that the wish is granted and there is a total public/private split. Well, then who do you complain about next having an unfair advantage? I guess the open zoned schools fight would gain more momentum at first and eventually something would be done there. After that, would the argument be on should there be a split between wealthy public and poorer public schools? Maybe rural and urban? Where does it end?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my question.

Let's say that the wish is granted and there is a total public/private split. Well, then who do you complain about next having an unfair advantage? I guess the open zoned schools fight would gain more momentum at first and eventually something would be done there. After that, would the argument be on should there be a split between wealthy public and poorer public schools? Maybe rural and urban? Where does it end?

I think as long as there is a winner and a loser, it will never end in some way, shape or form.

There might be something else come along that fans would complain about but I don't think it would be open-zone. The schools that are in metro areas that are open-zone are or will be, like Maryville, 5A. I mean, Lawrence County is open-zone in that any family in the county can send their kids to any of our three schools as long as they provide transportation. Out-of-county kids can pay tuition. I can't remember one single kid that has come to Lawrence County High under those circumstances and played sports.

It seems to me that the open-zone argument you hear on here now is only brought up by private-school fans who want a counter-argument to the public school fans. I don't think that it is a big issue to public school fans at this time.

Then send your kids to the tax supported schools then. The private school people chose to get out of the public school system. I say get out totally and stay out. Good riddance!

A bit bitter, are we?

There are a lot of threads on the board from public school supporters advocating private schools be forced out of the TSSAA or otherwise segregated from public schools. As a point of reference, where are the threads from private school supporters advocating that they want to be separated from public schools?

Can't say that they don't have a recent argument if winning is what we're measuring. In 2005, the first year of the multiplier, there were no private school champions in DI. Only two privates (Goodpasture, Lipscomb) made it to Murfreesboro. All public 1A final. Sounds like the multiplier did what it was supposed to do last year.

This year you've got two privates in the 1A game, and one in the 2A and 3A game, so the system that suposedly worked in 2005 didn't work in 2006?

My two cents is that the only way you'll get rid of the privates is if the privates decide to leave. Based on the lack of private schools support for this option right now, I don't think that's happening anytime soon. Until then, it is what it is. Make the best of it and move on.

Edited by stlbss22

There might be something else come along that fans would complain about but I don't think it would be open-zone. The schools that are in metro areas that are open-zone are or will be, like Maryville, 5A. I mean, Lawrence County is open-zone in that any family in the county can send their kids to any of our three schools as long as they provide transportation. Out-of-county kids can pay tuition. I can't remember one single kid that has come to Lawrence County High under those circumstances and played sports.

It seems to me that the open-zone argument you hear on here now is only brought up by private-school fans who want a counter-argument to the public school fans. I don't think that it is a big issue to public school fans at this time.

I've heard a lot of public school bring it up in conversation off the boards. Granted where I live the name "Maryville" is usually attached with it.

In all honesty, the next debate I see is the wealthier schools versus the poorer schools, whether it will have merit or not.

In all honesty, the next debate I see is the wealthier schools versus the poorer schools, whether it will have merit or not.

I don't think so but we'll see. The things I see in private schools that I admire but can not emulate at LCHS are the facts that they can (1) require every kid to be involved in some of activity, (2) be openly religious (we have a ton of good Christian kids at our school who display it in every way possible. I wish we could applaud that effort more.), (3) require parents to be involved, and (4) get rid of the kids who are only trouble (Did you know that a lot of kids receive a check from the gov't every month they are in school until they are 20 or 21, I believe? I honestly did not know that until a few weeks ago when I commented about a 19-year-old junior and why he is at school.)

However, I would not send my child to a private school in Lawrenceburg because (1) I am cheap and (2) I am very happy with my kids' educations and the diversity that they see. Now, if I lived elsewhere, I don't know. I would still be cheap, though. :P

coach...that might not be an issue in Lawrence County but for years it has been pretty well known that Milan has attracted athletes from all over Gibson County and other areas. My opinion on it is "so what". As long as they aren`t actively going out and recruiting, then more power to them. If their football program attracts good athletes that`s just someone else`s loss.

This is for certain....there will be more open zone schools in the future. There is no doubt that kids will use that strictly for athletic purposes.

When Hamilton had Todd Day playing for them in basketball, none of their starters were from the Hamilton zone.

Did they recruit? I don`t know.

Was it legal? yes

was it an unfair advantage over other schools that can only take kids from their zone? You tell me.

Although mphstigerfan is upset about losing to a private school, his

question has merit. Your answer actually supports his supposition.

You state that parents choose "them" (private schools) for spiritual

reasons, decreased crime, academics, and community atmosphere.

Your response implies that public schools have the following:

a less desirable spiritual environment, more crime, worse academics,

and an undesirable big-school feel.

How does one consider himself or his school equal to these less desirable

members? And why would one wanted to be created as equal, when one

clearly states that the "two" are not equal?

Stan,

I wasn't trying to imply anything, just giving the reasons that parents stated for sending kids to small privates.

Since most small privates are in metro areas, I would not deny that the reasons are valid. However, most small publics are in rural areas and are community schools. They are NOTHING like metro schools, thus there isn't so much of a need for an alternative. I have found that the small rural schools are actually very much like the small privates...they have a built in set of community values and standards that are lacking in larger metropolitan systems.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I find that the people and kids at the small publics around our area are the same types of people in our school...good, hard working people who care about their school and their kids. And I find that many of the people who move into town from a small rural situation are attracted to the small privates because they are much more like the school that they came from than the larger metro schools.