Tennessee Football Coaches Association All- State Team 2006

CoachT

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on what coaches showed up to vote.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding there are lots of coaches that don't even vote, so you really have to take these selections for whatever they're worth. Not taking away anything from those who were selected but I'm sure there are lots of other players that are just as deserving of the recognition.

First of all, I am sure that there were some players selected whose coach did not show up. Secondly, if all the coaches do not vote, then those coaches must not think too much of the whole "All State" selection process. To me, the only fair way to decide who should receive this honor would be to look at the stats for each position. All positions with the exception of the Oline should be fairly easy to do. Take the top player at each position and from each classification and you should have a pretty accurate "all state" team. When all is said and done, you would have eight "all state" teams.

Let's look at the process. 1st in late October, early November a ballot is sent to EVERY high school coach in TN. They are asked to nominate up to 2 players from their team for All-State. Also, they are asked to include stats, career accomplishments etc. Then fax it back. Takes about five minutes, I know I do it every year. Also, this year if a player was a Mr. Football candidate they were automatically selected to the team. Next year they will automatically be on the ballot. At the meeting the coaches, by classification, vote for the players on the ballot. To me it is a good process as long as the coaches are willing to send in the names of players. If a player is not on the ballot it is hard to vote for them. TSWA is similar in that the writers from the areas East, Middle, West nominate players. Congrats to all that made the All-State list.

Let's look at the process. 1st in late October, early November a ballot is sent to EVERY high school coach in TN. They are asked to nominate up to 2 players from their team for All-State. Also, they are asked to include stats, career accomplishments etc. Then fax it back. Takes about five minutes, I know I do it every year. Also, this year if a player was a Mr. Football candidate they were automatically selected to the team. Next year they will automatically be on the ballot. At the meeting the coaches, by classification, vote for the players on the ballot. To me it is a good process as long as the coaches are willing to send in the names of players. If a player is not on the ballot it is hard to vote for them. TSWA is similar in that the writers from the areas East, Middle, West nominate players. Congrats to all that made the All-State list.

Why would the coaches have to attend the meeting to vote? With the technology that we have today you could email in your nominations and someone could compile the list and send it to the coaches which could then email their vote to a central location.

I agree about coaches being able to vote without attending the meeting. There should be a way of faxing or emailing ballots and getting those returned. I guess my argument would be this. TFCA sends ballots to EVERY hs coach. Yet each year we have less than 50% of the possible nominations returned. Think about it for a second 2 players possible from every single A football team, that is 59 schools at 2 players each= 118 players that could be nominated. Yet when Ballots are returned you get around 25 to 30. If coaches will not fill out and fax back nominations do we really expect them to vote on players and email or fax those back? I believe not. That is the complaint I have with people griping. The TFCA is trying to improve its list, the adding of Mr. Footballs was a step in the right direction. What we need is for the coacht posters who did not have teams or players represented to go to their coach and ask if the nominations were sent in.

There was only 1 PLAYER FROM FULTON that made the list in Class 3A :D

Sorry but 1 player from fulton and only 2 from maryville is unbeleivable. Especially if you look at the list of names. Some are really embarrassing and not true representation of all-state caliber players, (particularly in the Knoxville area)! Thanks for explaining the process!

this list is good. but alot of high caliber players wasnt on the list.if todd cambell made it these player should have.there are probably more players that should have been on there. smith-columbia- he made it last year. stats were better this year

wilks-smyrna-5a champs. good stats

gray-smyrna-5a champs. good stats

Edited by columbia central