1A 2007 PRESEASON TOP FIVE

reddevilmascot

I've been trying to tell you G'ville is the team to beat in 2007. You had better listen :lol:

I totally agree, we had a three way scrimmage against G-ville before the 06 season and I remember how impressive their QB was. I came away thinking that kid was going to be something special and my opinion hasn't changed. The one thing I remember distinctly was the fact that their entire offense was run from the shotgun. If that hasn't been changed, I still say that will hurt them somewhere down the line again this season. If they put that kid under center, they'll tear every team they play up this year on offense. The question will be whether or not they can play defense.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree, we had a three way scrimmage against G-ville before the 06 season and I remember how impressive their QB was. I came away thinking that kid was going to be something special and my opinion hasn't changed. The one thing I remember distinctly was the fact that their entire offense was run from the shotgun. If that hasn't been changed, I still say that will hurt them somewhere down the line again this season. If they put that kid under center, they'll tear every team they play up this year on offense. The question will be whether or not they can play defense.

A ?....How will running from the gun hurt them? More teams are switching to the gun option (LV for one) or adding some gun option because of the time it gives the QB to read the defense. IMO it is perfect for him.

My preseason 2007 1A top 10:

1). Gordonsville - dual threat QB, large quality O-line, good coaching, tons of tradition, and a horn that is deafening to the opposing crowd. Not to mention they will be tested with a quality non-region schedule and the best REGION competition in the state. Come playoff time you will know you've had a bad draw if you have to play G-ville.

2). Bruceton - A stud of a tailback and possibly some of the best LB's in the state will make this a team to contend with in November.

3). Mt. Pleasant - if DAILY stays healthy they can go the distance. Every week opposing coaches scheme how to stop him and he still puts up huge numbers. However, in order to win the Gold BALL this team is going to have to develop some D. Because offense might sell tickets but anyone who knows football knows DEFENSE wins championships!

4). Trinity Christian - followed this team closely last year and really felt they underachieved come the playoffs. If they get hot at the right time - watch out!

5). Friendship Christian - While they return the best trio of backs in 1A (Rickaway, Alsup, Markham) they did lose around a dozen seniors who had competed for 4 years against powerhouses like 2005 TC, 2004 Boyd Buchanon, 2003 Boyd Buchanon not to mention their regular season Region 4 gauntlet. Losing experienced players like that will take some time. However, playing a schedule that includes non-region games like Donelson Christian, Ezell Harding, etc will toughen the younger Commanders and make them a dangerous team come November. Now that they have tasted the championship game they will want some more.

6). South Pittsburgh - Speed Kills but the Pirates learned the past 2 years that strength endures. After rolling thru the past 2 regular seasons the Pirates have fallen victim to Rd. 2 home upsets from Region 4's # 3 seed. Both times the Pirates were heavily favored and both times they were disappointed. Look for a more disciplined, more determined push from coach Grider and the always tough Pirates this November. Their Rd. 2 matchup against either G-ville, FC, or TC will be an absolute brawl. Whoever wins that game will give their 3rd round opponents all they want. When the words "1A champions" are spoken it usually includes the schools South Pittsburgh or Trousdale County mentioned closely thereafter.

7). Trousdale County - While one Satterfield has departed due to graduation the heart and soul of Hartsville is still very much in control of Yellow Jacket football. Coach Clint Satterfield's team had to watch Region 4 foes Friendship Christian and Gordonsville play out the decisive rounds of football last year and I guarantee it wasn't any fun on the creekbank last November or this spring. After a round 2 loss to newcomer "private school" TEMPLE the yellow jackets were stunned. Rumor has it that Clint has already started fall 3 a day practices (a.k.a. tobacco season in H-ville). Problem is they have to replace his son, several quality experienced linemen, and even their 1st string QB. However, this is TC and they will not rebuild but rather just reload. They are a definite Rd 2 team again and who knows after that. Maybe a move back to 3A could avoid the power privates or big bad wolves as they are called in TC.

8). Hampton - Back to Back final 4's. These guys epitomize 3 yards and a cloud of dust. However, to get to the next level they will have to gain some speed at their skilled positions and lose their 23 sideline assistant coaches/daddy's.

9). Jo Byrns - Excellent talent and an up and coming program means this team will become a 1A powerhouses in the next decade. Problem is they must find a way to stop the Mt. Daily show to advance to the title game and it ain't gonna happen this year.

10). Eagleville - remember the words COACH CARLON FLATT. This man has more state championship rings than fingers. Now that he has left BA he wants nothing more than to prove he can win at a small-town public as well as a private. It may not be this year but it will happen and if anyone can figure out how to top Mt. Daily it would be him.

Edited by Volzchamps

My preseason 2007 1A top 10:

1). Gordonsville - dual threat QB, large quality O-line, good coaching, tons of tradition, and a horn that will defean the opposing crowd. Not to mention they will be tested with a quality non-region schedule and the best REGION competition in the state. Come playoff time you will know you've had a bad draw if you have to play G-ville.

2). Bruceton - A stud of a tailback and possibly some of the best LB's in the state will make this a team to contend with in November.

3). Mt. Pleasant - if DAILY stays healthy they can go the distance. Every week opposing coaches scheme how to stop him and he still puts up huge numbers. However, in order to win the Gold BALL this team is going to have to develop some D. Because offense might sell tickets but anyone who knows football knows DEFENSE wins championships!

4). Trinity Christian - followed this team closely last year and really felt they underachieved come the playoffs. If they get hot at the right time - watch out!

5). Friendship Christian - While they return the best trio of backs in 1A (Rickaway, Alsup, Markham) they did lose around a dozen seniors who had competed for 4 years against powerhouses like 2005 TC, 2004 Boyd Buchanon, 2003 Boyd Buchanon not to mention their regular season Region 4 gauntlet. Losing experienced players like that will take some time. However, playing a schedule that includes non-region games like Donelson Christian, Ezell Harding, etc will toughen the younger Commanders and make them a dangerous team come November. Now that they have tasted the championship game they will want some more.

6). South Pittsburgh - Speed Kills but the Pirates learned the past 2 years that strength endures. After rolling thru the past 2 regular seasons the Pirates have fallen victim to Rd. 2 home upsets from Region 4's # 3 seed. Both times the Pirates were heavily favored and both times they were disappointed. Look for a more disciplined, more determined push from coach Grider and the always tough Pirates this November. Their Rd. 2 matchup against either G-ville, FC, or TC will be an absolute brawl. Whoever wins that game will give their 3rd round opponents all they want. When the words "1A champions" are spoken it usually includes the phrase South Pitt or Trousdale County closely thereafter.

7). Trousdale County - While one Satterfield has departed due to graduation the heart and soul of Hartsville is still very much in control of Yellow Jacket football. Coach Clint Satterfield's team had to watch Region 4 foes Friendship Christian and Gordonsville play out the decisive rounds of football last year and I guarantee it wasn't any fun on the creekbank last November or this spring. After round 2 loss to newcomer "private school" TEMPLE the yellow jackets were stunned. Rumor has it that Clint has already started fall 3 a day practices (a.k.a. tobacco season in H-ville). Problem is they have to replace his son, several quality experienced linemen, and even their 1st string QB. However, this is TC and they will not rebuild but rather just reload. They are a definite Rd 2 team again and who knows after that. Maybe a move back to 3A could avoid the power privates or big bad wolves as they are called in TC.

8). Hampton - Back to Back final 4's. These guys epitomize 3 yards and a cloud of dust. However, to get to the next level they will have to gain some speed at their skilled positions and lose their 23 sideline assistant coaches/daddy's.

9). Jo Byrns - Excellent talent and an up and coming program means this team will become a 1A powerhouses in the next decade. Problem is they must find a way to stop the Mt. Daily show and it ain't gonna happen this year.

10). Eagleville - remember the words COACH CARLON FLATT. This man has more state championship rings than his fingers and toes. Now that he has left BA he wants nothing more than to prove he can win at a public as well as a private. It may not be this year but it will happen and if anyone can figure out how to top Mt. Daily it would be him.

Interesting! You are pretty high on Bruceton and having Eagleville on the list is a new twist. Go to this thread Quarterfinal Picks and see what you come up with

I was at the TC-Temple game. I could not believe Temple came back to win it. TC was better all night except that last drive by Temple..heck of a game. Temple will not be a factor any time soon but Coach Satterfield may get a shot at Silverdale in the next year or two.

The Hampton sidelines are pretty wild :lol:

Edited by zonepirate

Volzchamp that is a very good list. I forgot the Eagleville had BA's old coach, but i don't think he will be able to affect that for a few years to come, other than that every team has a very logical reason to be in the place they are. I think someone could without a doubt read through this thread and determine the top ten teams in state, once you start ranking them it all comes down to oppinion.

10). Eagleville - remember the words COACH CARLON FLATT. This man has more state championship rings than his fingers and toes. Now that he has left BA he wants nothing more than to prove he can win at a public as well as a private. It may not be this year but it will happen and if anyone can figure out how to top Mt. Daily it would be him.

FLATT must step in quickly. mTp folks know hat happened to them about 2 weeks ago. Flatt is a great coach and he will also have trouble stopping Mt Dailey.

A ?....How will running from the gun hurt them? More teams are switching to the gun option (LV for one) or adding some gun option because of the time it gives the QB to read the defense. IMO it is perfect for him.

Too many things can go wrong from the gun. Center anticipating a blitz, rain, wind, several factors can affect a snap and handling of the snap from the gun. I don't know if he has the same guy as last year snapping the ball, but there were at least three fumbles in the few snaps they had in our scrimmage. All I'm saying is in a tight game against a good team, a couple of bad snaps are the difference between wins and loses.

My top teams in no particular order.

Gordonsville:

Return a great playmaking quarterback. They lost some of his support, but there are plenty of players that can step up.

There are a couple of good running backs that done well last year, the same with a couple of receivers. They should also have plenty of depth.

Friendship Christian:

They will probably have the best rushing attack in the state with a probable 2007 Mr. Football candidate and another 2008 and 2009 candidate. They lost a lot from there defense, but if they can play decent, there offense could probably carry them.

Trousdale County:

They lost their absolute best players, but Clint Satterfield manages to take a team of just 20-30 players every year and make them very competitive. But, look out, 2008 will be their year.

South Pittsburg:

Only lost a couple of starters from the most athletic team I saw all year. If they find their heart, they will be very tough.

Hampton:

I don't think they lost too many starters from a semifinal team last year. They'll probably be in the semi's in the East, but I don't see them getting past any of the previous four teams I mentioned.

Mt. Pleasant:

Return most of their starters plus Marco Dailey. If he stays healthy, they will play in the boro.

TCA:

They were tough last year, and they return most of their starters.

Bruceton:

They return a stud of a running back in Chad Jordan. My opinion, the best running back in the stat in 1A.

Sleepers to watch out for:

Lookout Valley has Chas Scruggs who I was impressed with as a sophomore.

Silverdale is supposedly full of transfers who sat out a year, and they are probably eager to win.

Too many things can go wrong from the gun. Center anticipating a blitz, rain, wind, several factors can affect a snap and handling of the snap from the gun. I don't know if he has the same guy as last year snapping the ball, but there were at least three fumbles in the few snaps they had in our scrimmage. All I'm saying is in a tight game against a good team, a couple of bad snaps are the difference between wins and loses.

No, last year's center graduated.

And I think they do run some under center, but it is mostly in shotgun formation.

A total change from a few years ago, when we did not run shotgun whatsoever. Splits backs and double tight ends is what we used to run.

Those things can happen but they can happen with the QB under the center too. SP's QB had 2 fumbles from under the center during our scrimmage with TC so it happens. A good center with enough reps can get the ball back consistantly. Sure the threat of a bad snap is higher with the gun but the ability of the QB to make reads on the defense and have more time opens up more possibilities to make big plays also. A couple of big plays in a tight game can make a difference too.