ensworth

The new recruiting guru is Blades from Hillsboro..............Ensworth will get a few, but they will lose a few. Kids must understand if they attend Ensworth and don't maintain a certain gpa, they will be out of there headed back to metro and lose a yr of eligibility. Meanwhile Hillsboro has found a way to get some of JFK's finest athletes the last two yrs. They also got Wright Middle Schools best athlete from last yr. That spread offense will be one fine oiled machine for years to come. I used to be big about privates getting the kids from Metro, but now there is a LOT of strange things happening within METRO. Kids are not ending up at their feeder High Schools.

Then there are those that don't go to the private schools or some cross town school. Maplewood has a rising sophomore Defensive Lineman (24 ACT score) who will be on every D1 school's radar. Its amazing he didn't end up at a private school.

Hey Cobra, didn't Ensworth get the Whites Creek zoned kid who is a monster? (Haynes middle ?) Wasn't Jamie Graham a HL zoned kid? Isn't Maplewood, Stratford and Whites Creek open enrollment schools as well as Hillsboro ? Is Pearl an open enrollment school? The Maplewood soph is a beast and a great kid. They have another DE who is a Junior who is tough. BA has the most talent than any other school in the midstate imo.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Cobra, didn't Ensworth get the Whites Creek zoned kid who is a monster? (Haynes middle ?) Wasn't Jamie Graham a HL zoned kid? Isn't Maplewood, Stratford and Whites Creek open enrollment schools as well as Hillsboro ? Is Pearl an open enrollment school? The Maplewood soph is a beast and a great kid. They have another DE who is a Junior who is tough. BA has the most talent than any other school in the midstate imo.

Graham probably was he did attend Brick Church MS a HL feeder, and that is why I don't complain about WC losing kids. We have benefitted from open enrollment and lost from it. Gershom Jordan and Dominique Rouse were both at PJPII before transferring to WC(they did sit out a yr). They were both zoned for WC though.

I think Ensworth got the guard from Haynes who is good in bball and football. Not sure about the big kid. To clarify, Hillsboro is taking better advantage of open enrollment. So my point is metro schools shouldn't complain about Ensworth. Metro schools are doing the same to one another..............

The kid transferring to Hillsboro(from Ensworth) will have to sit out a yr. And this spring he was playing Defensive End.

Also the other kid at Maplewood the junior is questionable every yr because of grades and discipline. He is good though. But if he plays this fall that D-line will be the best in the city and one of the best in the state, that line will give Hillsboro problems because Arant won't have all day to throw the ball or see passing lanes.

I don't see how Arant was eligible immediately, that isn't consistant with the transfer rules......

Ricky Bowers is a coward. Instead of giving your players a chance to play against a solid 5A team and gain experience, he opts to play a brand new school out of Crossville for basically a guaranteed win.

There's no other word for that, in my opinion. In fact, I feel like he's always tried to pad the schedule as much as is possible. I remember when they played Indy in 04, he had Smith change the game from 12 minute quarters to 8 minute quarters. They weren't great, but a move like that basically tells your team that they're beaten before they even take the field.

I am a IHS fan and I think your post is off base. Bowers is no coward. Coaches do what the think is best for their team. While I don't agree with what he did in pulling out of a gentlemen's agreement to play IHS, a coward he's not.

• 2 months later...

Ricky Bowers is a coward. Instead of giving your players a chance to play against a solid 5A team and gain experience, he opts to play a brand new school out of Crossville for basically a guaranteed win.

There's no other word for that, in my opinion. In fact, I feel like he's always tried to pad the schedule as much as is possible. I remember when they played Indy in 04, he had Smith change the game from 12 minute quarters to 8 minute quarters. They weren't great, but a move like that basically tells your team that they're beaten before they even take the field.

Ricky Bowers is obviously not a coward as seen through the schedule of this year. A 5 week stretch of Knoxville Webb, Mccallie, MBA, JPII, and Father Ryan seems to be a tough schedule.

Dont wanna offend any Ensworth supporters and wont give names, only answering since someone asked, but a couple of the recent transfers to hillsboro did so because they simply werent happy at ensworth. while they had friends, they simply did not like the environment, simply stated .

I'm familiar with the facts of each case and you're misinformed. Academic, disciplinary or financial issues were the basis for each of the transfers to Hillsboro---- and a couple of them weren't voluntary.

I'm familiar with the facts of each case and you're misinformed. Academic, disciplinary or financial issues were the basis for each of the transfers to Hillsboro---- and a couple of them weren't voluntary.

Let me see if I understand this: A student/athlete attends Ensworth and transfers to Martin Luther King (metro school) and plays football for Hillsboro and does not have to sit out one year? Is that the loophole, transfer to MLK or Hume Fogg which has no football team and you are eligible to play for Hillsboro? This is happening along with Hillsboro taking students from all over the city and people are complaining about the private schools recruiting? With this stuff going on it looks like the TSSAA needs to combine D1 & D2 and force everyone to play one another like they did prior to the split. Everyone is going after student/athletes but at least the D2 schools are going through an neutral source (Princeton) to see how much financial aid a family qualifies to receive and everything is above board and not done under the table.

Let me try to clear up this nonsense once and for all. Matt Arent loved Ensworth (still loves Ensworth). His experience at Ensworth was better than could be expected. His parents loved Ensworth. The academics are outstanding. the athletics, especially the coaches, are outstanding. The teachers are great. He had great friends (still has) at Ensworth.

It is no one's business, but it is common knowledge that Matt left Ensworth for financial reasons. His mother worked for Northwest Airlines. Northwest went into bankruptcy and their bankruptcy cut her salary in half. His father sells software to trucking companies and, with record fuel costs among other issues plaguing the industry, business is uncertain. Even after adjusted statements were submitted to the people in Princeton, Matt's family did not feel comfortable committing to the reduced cost. They had paid 100% of his tuition for two years and felt that if they could not continue to pay for Ensworth then MLK was a good (great) alternative. Everyone at Ensworth was very supportive and every effort (within the rules) was made to keep Matt at Ensworth. I truly believe and will forever believe that Ensworh wanted to keep Matt because he is a great kid and an outstanding student. Matt misses the sports at Ensworth much more than Ensworth sports will ever miss Matt.

Thankfully the TSSAA did not choose to punish Matt by making him sit out a year because of things he had no control over. Matt received a hardship ruling from Mr. Carter because he met the specific criteria outlined in the TSSAA rules. His family is grateful that there is a rule allowing exceptions for kids like Matt.

Regarding recruiting, Matt is 6'3" tall and 216 pounds. He plays basketball, football and baseball. He has a 3.8 GPA and has test scores in the top 2%. He is an all state football player and hit .480 and .415 in the last two baseball seasons. MATT ARENT WAS NEVER RECRUITED BY ANY HIGH SCHOOL. He was not recruited to Ensworth. He was not recruited from Ensworth to Hillsboro. He attended football camp at BA every year and Coach Flatt never recruited him. I am convinced that recruiting is a myth!

Kids are attracted to schools by good coaching, good facilities and good academics. There are no "scholarships" for high school football players. The division two schools offer financial aid to every admitted student based on the financial statement provided by the family. I am sure some parents and some students represent this financial aid to people as a "scholarship". If it makes them feel better, great. It is absurd to think that division 2 schools like Ensworth (or MBA or BA) would sacrifice their integrity to attract a high school athlete. You don't have to spend much time at any of these schools to know that they are run by people who are more concerned with academics and integrity than with football. They are right to assume that a great school will attract great athletes. They spend their time and money on building great schools, great kids, including great athletes are attracted to their school because it is great.

Hillsboro is a similar story. I know many of the kids who attend Hillsboro rather than their zoned schools. Most are at Hillsboro because it is a better school. Hillsboro has been lauded by US News and World Report as one of the top 100 public schools in nation. I won't waste anyone's time describing the problems at some of the High Schools these kids are zoned to attend. Many kids who don't play football choose to attend Hillsboro rather than attend the failing school that they are zoned to attend. The kids who do play football are also attracted to the success of the Hillsboro football team. Coach Blade, and Coach Adeylotte before him, should be credited for building and growing a winning tradition at Hillsboro. Until another metro school can provide the same combination of athletic and academic excellence, and as long as open enrollment continues to be the rule in metro schools, Hillsboro will continue to attract top students and top football players.

Families are attracted to excellence. There is no need cross any lines or break any rules if you can present an excellent alternative to the student.

I know I won't stop the whole recruiting discussion but I hope I can stop any further discussion of Matt Arent. His family is grateful to the people at Ensworth for the time he spent there. They are pleased that Matt has the opportunity to attend an excellent school like MLK and play football for an excellent program and Hillsboro. Matt is thankful to Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA for injecting common sense into a difficult transition for him and allowing him to play sports last year. (we should all be happy when the TSSAA puts the interest of the kid before the interest of coaches or schools)

Last, this post is asking if Ensworth is ready for the ???big time???? The answer is yes. Ensworth has big time coaches, big time facilities, and most importantly they have big time kids. Go Tigers!

Let me try to clear up this nonsense once and for all. Matt Arent loved Ensworth (still loves Ensworth). His experience at Ensworth was better than could be expected. His parents loved Ensworth. The academics are outstanding. the athletics, especially the coaches, are outstanding. The teachers are great. He had great friends (still has) at Ensworth.

It is no one's business, but it is common knowledge that Matt left Ensworth for financial reasons. His mother worked for Northwest Airlines. Northwest went into bankruptcy and their bankruptcy cut her salary in half. His father sells software to trucking companies and, with record fuel costs among other issues plaguing the industry, business is uncertain. Even after adjusted statements were submitted to the people in Princeton, Matt's family did not feel comfortable committing to the reduced cost. They had paid 100% of his tuition for two years and felt that if they could not continue to pay for Ensworth then MLK was a good (great) alternative. Everyone at Ensworth was very supportive and every effort (within the rules) was made to keep Matt at Ensworth. I truly believe and will forever believe that Ensworh wanted to keep Matt because he is a great kid and an outstanding student. Matt misses the sports at Ensworth much more than Ensworth sports will ever miss Matt.

Thankfully the TSSAA did not choose to punish Matt by making him sit out a year because of things he had no control over. Matt received a hardship ruling from Mr. Carter because he met the specific criteria outlined in the TSSAA rules. His family is grateful that there is a rule allowing exceptions for kids like Matt.

Regarding recruiting, Matt is 6'3" tall and 216 pounds. He plays basketball, football and baseball. He has a 3.8 GPA and has test scores in the top 2%. He is an all state football player and hit .480 and .415 in the last two baseball seasons. MATT ARENT WAS NEVER RECRUITED BY ANY HIGH SCHOOL. He was not recruited to Ensworth. He was not recruited from Ensworth to Hillsboro. He attended football camp at BA every year and Coach Flatt never recruited him. I am convinced that recruiting is a myth!

Kids are attracted to schools by good coaching, good facilities and good academics. There are no "scholarships" for high school football players. The division two schools offer financial aid to every admitted student based on the financial statement provided by the family. I am sure some parents and some students represent this financial aid to people as a "scholarship". If it makes them feel better, great. It is absurd to think that division 2 schools like Ensworth (or MBA or BA) would sacrifice their integrity to attract a high school athlete. You don't have to spend much time at any of these schools to know that they are run by people who are more concerned with academics and integrity than with football. They are right to assume that a great school will attract great athletes. They spend their time and money on building great schools, great kids, including great athletes are attracted to their school because it is great.

Hillsboro is a similar story. I know many of the kids who attend Hillsboro rather than their zoned schools. Most are at Hillsboro because it is a better school. Hillsboro has been lauded by US News and World Report as one of the top 100 public schools in nation. I won't waste anyone's time describing the problems at some of the High Schools these kids are zoned to attend. Many kids who don't play football choose to attend Hillsboro rather than attend the failing school that they are zoned to attend. The kids who do play football are also attracted to the success of the Hillsboro football team. Coach Blade, and Coach Adeylotte before him, should be credited for building and growing a winning tradition at Hillsboro. Until another metro school can provide the same combination of athletic and academic excellence, and as long as open enrollment continues to be the rule in metro schools, Hillsboro will continue to attract top students and top football players.

Families are attracted to excellence. There is no need cross any lines or break any rules if you can present an excellent alternative to the student.

I know I won't stop the whole recruiting discussion but I hope I can stop any further discussion of Matt Arent. His family is grateful to the people at Ensworth for the time he spent there. They are pleased that Matt has the opportunity to attend an excellent school like MLK and play football for an excellent program and Hillsboro. Matt is thankful to Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA for injecting common sense into a difficult transition for him and allowing him to play sports last year. (we should all be happy when the TSSAA puts the interest of the kid before the interest of coaches or schools)

Last, this post is asking if Ensworth is ready for the ???big time???? The answer is yes. Ensworth has big time coaches, big time facilities, and most importantly they have big time kids. Go Tigers!

One of the greatest posts I have ever read on CoachT. Thanks for taking the time.

i have known matt for a long time and i completely agree with coachjohn in his post. Matt was placed in a position that he had no control over and thankfully TSSAA let him play his junior year which he took advantage of and had a great year.....as far as the scheduling issue concerning ENsworth dropping Indipendence, i think that that is a shame because i would like to see that game considering they are not playing any official games vs a 5A school. WHile the reasons are unknown as to why the game was dropped i think it is ignorant of "donavan" to say that coach bowers is a coward. He is one of the most respected coaches in TN and he bases all of his actions off of his strong morals. I highly doubt he was scared to play Indi.