Private schools ruin high school sports

QUOTE(johnhenry @ May 28 2007 - 10:39 PM) 826468615[/snapback]No one likes to talk about. Everyone is scared to say anything. The private-public school format is terrible. Public schools are disadvantaged. Even the best Class A and Class AA spring teams that participated in the state tournament were totally blown out by the private schools. And congratulations for making the 1.5 multiplyer a couple of years ago. Now it is even easier for not only one private school to make the state championship in one class, but now there are two classes to have to deal with them. There is no fairness, and I mean fairness to letting a student athlete travel from a county over to a private school while a public school athlete is told to only be able to stay at the county school they are zoned for. In a day in which fairness is important, there is none that compare to this. By the way, the Tennessean already stated that private schools dominated the spring fling in 2007. It is very pitiful. For public schools to compete with schools that are more superior in athletes year after year is ridiculous. If you look at some to the regions that the public schools are in mixed with private schools, you would see the unfairness to it. How can a public school constantly defeat other public schools by margins of plus 30 or more in football, but when a private school walks in, the public school is defeated by 60. And believe me it has happened before. Triple A spring sports or 5a football teams do not have to deal with them. But, in todays high school sports, the coaches are about to have to deal with it much more. They already are in AA and 4a. Like I said, Private schools have a clear advantage over the public schools and it is ruining high school sports.

Would somebody give me the results of the past TSSAA championships in High School Basketball for boys and girls....I would venture to say that Publics dominate those sports. So if it were true that Privates recruit the best athletes and pay them via "scholarships", "Financial Aid", "Under the table money", etc. etc....then why no basketball domination for the privates? I mean if Privates can get any athlete they want, what's the answer? According to most public supporters on this Forum, it's all about winning at all costs at these institutions. One other thing, if the above is true as you say, why do the privates like USJ, JCS & Trinity ever have down years in football, track, bowling or any sport with for that matter? Guess its because the influx of money was not as great as needed the preceeding years, huh. Go figure the logic in that!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Old Timer @ May 29 2007 - 03:57 PM) 826468812[/snapback]Would somebody give me the results of the past TSSAA championships in High School Basketball for boys and girls

This is the last 15 years. Its not as bad as football and baseball, but they still lead in more championships. By the way this is only in 1A.

93 BGA

94 BGA

95 Pickett Co.

96 Boyd Buchanon

97 Perry Co.

98 Ezell Harding

99 Moore Co.

00 S. Fulton

01 Chatt. Christian

02 Tennessee Temple

03 Tennessee Temple

04 Unaka

05 Middleton

06 Union City

07 Tennessee Temple

QUOTE(tnsddeveloper @ May 29 2007 - 12:36 AM) 826468637[/snapback]My assumption is that you lost big to a private in the spring fling. I'm sorry. Work hard and get back next year for some payback.

Now ... your statement above isn't exactly true. Were you aware that both Alcoa AND Maryville not only allow "out of zone" students, but that those "out of zone" students don't even have to reside in Blount County (let alone in Alcoa or Maryville city proper since both are city school districts)? Hmmm ... I wonder who has waxed ecstatic on EVERYONE in 2A and 4A football for the last ump-teen years? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Be careful there, I can't speak for Maryville, but I know Alcoa is pretty strict with who we allow since space is a major problem, talk for a bigger high school has begun, but that is a long way off and more of a result of the increase in enrollment at the primary and middle schools. Alot of kids get turned away and their athletic ability is never involved in the decision of their acceptance. Believe it or not, We are alot more worried about the student than the athlete. You may point out some football players, but that is only b/c of the highlighted prospects over the last few years. Many of the athletes earn their scholarships for their work in the classroom and will never set foot on the playing field again.

QUOTE(akula21 @ May 29 2007 - 11:38 PM) 826468921[/snapback]Be careful there, I can't speak for Maryville, but I know Alcoa is pretty strict with who we allow since space is a major problem, talk for a bigger high school has begun, but that is a long way off and more of a result of the increase in enrollment at the primary and middle schools. Alot of kids get turned away and their athletic ability is never involved in the decision of their acceptance. Believe it or not, We are alot more worried about the student than the athlete. You may point out some football players, but that is only b/c of the highlighted prospects over the last few years. Many of the athletes earn their scholarships for their work in the classroom and will never set foot on the playing field again.

Akula,

Alcoa is a great team and I hope we face them someday...I don't care if they select for athletics or not...great teams are great not only because they have good athletes but because they have good coaching, support, and great dedication by the kids. It is always an honor to play against a great team, regardless of whether they are public or private imho.

Having said that, what is the ratio of boys to girls at Alcoa High School? Rumor has it that it is somewhat out of whack. I count it as rumor, however, until proven otherwise. Unlike some on the boards do with the privates...

QUOTE(johnhenry @ May 28 2007 - 11:39 PM) 826468615[/snapback]But, in todays high school sports, the coaches are about to have to deal with it much more. They already are in AA and 4a. Like I said, Private schools have a clear advantage over the public schools and it is ruining high school sports.

What private school is 4A!!!!!!?????

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ May 30 2007 - 01:31 AM) 826468957[/snapback]Akula,

Alcoa is a great team and I hope we face them someday...I don't care if they select for athletics or not...great teams are great not only because they have good athletes but because they have good coaching, support, and great dedication by the kids. It is always an honor to play against a great team, regardless of whether they are public or private imho.

Having said that, what is the ratio of boys to girls at Alcoa High School? Rumor has it that it is somewhat out of whack. I count it as rumor, however, until proven otherwise. Unlike some on the boards do with the privates...

I will check on the numbers, so give me a moment. Our student body consists of 450-500 if I understand properly and I don't think it is weighted one way or another. In fact, that is a high number for us in any year. I know I thought Alcoa was alot bigger school before I got there b/c of their success, but the picture is much different. And in response, i coach both boys and girls. And I love them all.

BaldCoach said a mouthful with "great student dedication"....of those of you complaining just how dedicated are your athletes? Just practicing when the coach has practice is not nearly enough. It is summer now, what is your child doing? Whether or not they have weights at home or at their school, there are other things they can do to improve. My oldest does not miss a day, rain or shine, of throwing a tennis ball close range as hard as he can against our chimney to practice fielding...is it the best case scenario, no, will it help him to get better, you try it....this is just one of the things he does, but he doesn't do anything that any other serious player couldn't do. He chooses this as opposed to video games, computer, or TV, he's not made to do this. His dedication as well as the dedication of the other players on his team will make a difference in the teams season and success. That has nothing to do with what school he goes to, it has everything to do with the role baseball plays in his life and the lives of his teammates...they live and breathe baseball.

QUOTE(akula21 @ May 30 2007 - 11:37 PM) 826469420[/snapback]I will check on the numbers, so give me a moment. Our student body consists of 450-500 if I understand properly and I don't think it is weighted one way or another. In fact, that is a high number for us in any year. I know I thought Alcoa was alot bigger school before I got there b/c of their success, but the picture is much different. And in response, i coach both boys and girls. And I love them all.

Wasn't implying anything at all...just a rumor I heard that I am trying to confirm or deny. Always best to go to the source rather than spread more disinformation.

• 4 weeks later...

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but didn't John Henry just go out and beat the steam drill that had every advantage in the world over him?

Sorry, the irony of the screenname and post was too good to pass up. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Yes he beat it, but I think it killed him!

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but didn't John Henry just go out and beat the steam drill that had every advantage in the world over him?

Sorry, the irony of the screenname and post was too good to pass up. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Just Re-checked title of this thread...Gosh, didn't even know high school sports were ruined, let alone who the villain was.

Akula,

I would say that is most likely rumor Balcoach. I haven't noticed anything out of whack as far as a boy to girl ratio is concerned during my time at Alcoa

I have coached at both a very successful public and a very successful private school program. It is not a matter of recruiting or anything unfair. It is the simple fact that both of those programs worked very hard to get where they are at. There are exceptions on both sides of the coin. There are public schools that do not do the right thing, and there are privates that do not do the right thing. I tend to believe that this is a small ratio. You have to just work with what you have got and do your best to prepare yourself and the your athletes. I really believe that the multiplier has put many of the privates at a disadvantage. I don't know if every program can go out and compete for a state championship every year, but I do know that the one's who do are committed to doing so. I think if some of these people that complain so much about privates put that energy into their program it would solve a lot of their own gripes. It is so much easier to just complain and point fingers though.