Coaches that played College Ball

redandblack63

I was watching T.V. the other night and a parent of a Powell player made a comment to the effect that if a High School Coach didn't play college ball he wasn't qualified to coach on the high school level. What do you guys think. I know Coach Helton didn't play college football and he has been pretty successful at Central.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching T.V. the other night and a parent of a Powell player made a comment to the effect that if a High School Coach didn't play college ball he wasn't qualified to coach on the high school level. What do you guys think. I know Coach Helton didn't play college football and he has been pretty successful at Central.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Charlie Weis from Notre Dame didn't play college ball did he? Does that make him any less qualified to coach College Football?

I would not hire a HS head coach, OC or DC that had not been some type of college coach. It could be that they were a student assistant, graduate assistant or volunteer assistant but they would need to spend 2 years coaching in a college program. The learning curve is so much more rapid when coaching on the college level that it places a young coach light years ahead of his peers.

I would not hire a HS head coach, OC or DC that had not been some type of college coach. It could be that they were a student assistant, graduate assistant or volunteer assistant but they would need to spend 2 years coaching in a college program. The learning curve is so much more rapid when coaching on the college level that it places a young coach light years ahead of his peers.

Ricky Bowers went to a college that didn't play football. He seems to have some talent and aptitude for the job. He has a math background; would you let him keep stats for you?

Last time I checked, these are high school players playing high school ball. Why would a college coach want to come down to high school? Does that mean he is a bad coach since he can't cut it at the college level?

Shawn Witten has college experience, for example, but does that make him light years ahead of everyone? No, I'd rather think the fact that he comes from a football family and is smart about football would make him a good coach. College has nothing to do with it.

Then you would have a lot of coaching vacancies if you were an athletic director/principal

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Charlie Weis from Notre Dame didn't play college ball did he? Does that make him any less qualified to coach College Football?

Joe Gibbs didn't play football either. Obviously, the argument is used that coaches who have played the game before can relate to the players better. There probably is some truth to that, but both Charlie Weis and Joe Gibbs are 2 great examples of coaches who were very popular among their players. Not only are they excellent X's/O's guys, but they have found a way to relate to their players despite not playing organized football. I just think that it's very difficult for a coach with no playing experience to get a real chance to coach, simply because those making the hiring decisions want someone with on-field experience. If you study the game enough, and you are a personable coach with a good work ethic, I don't see why you couldn't become a great coach, on any level.

That is one of the most ignorant comments I've seen on coacht. Just because a guy did not coach college ball does not mean he can not be an excellent h.s. head coach. I have agreed with alot of your posts in the past,but you are deadwrong on this one.

so you're telling me there is no way I could get a job as a football coach because I turned down a football scholarship for a track scholarship

and in my opinion I think a person who can motivate and make people believe in what they do and can manage a team effeciently and treat his people the right way is what high school head coaching is all about not necessarily just x's and o's. There are alot of people out there that know x's and o's but arent worth squat with people that are head coaches, note the teams with 30 kids on their varsity with a school full of 1500 people

I think a better question would be ow many college or pro coaches NEVER coached in hs. I think a requirement ought to be you have to had coached in hs before you can coach in a college.

Why? If you never coached in hs have you ever mowed the grass, painted lines on the field, washed and cleaned jersyes, ordered uniforms 7 other euipment?

Ricky Bowers went to a college that didn't play football. He seems to have some talent and aptitude for the job. He has a math background; would you let him keep stats for you?

I believe it is factual that Coach McAdams at David Lipscomb not only did not play or coach in college, he didn't play in high school, has not ever played in a football game in his life. He has done very well, has the respect and admiration of the other coaches, and has made a great contribution to the game.