Coaches that played College Ball

redandblack63

I believe it is factual that Coach McAdams at David Lipscomb not only did not play or coach in college, he didn't play in high school, has not ever played in a football game in his life. He has done very well, has the respect and admiration of the other coaches, and has made a great contribution to the game.

Great point!!! Do the kids at Lipscomb respect him less? Of course not. There are many others. Rick Leach, Head Coach at Texas Tech, is well know for being an Attorney first who decided to give coaching a try at the high school level. I believe someone named Hal Mumme gave him a shot down the road. I believe Kevin O'Neal, ex UT coach, never played basketball. There are many others. Some of the best CEO's are ex school teachers without MBA's from Ivy League schools. Communication, organization and the ability to lead!.........

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good coaches are ones that love the game, the kids, communicate, motivate & lead. A coaches playing past (or lack of) has nothing to do with how well he can coach. Some of the best coaches out there have little or no actual playing experience; there are also some that have extensive playing experience in college/pro who have no business being around kids.

I know a lot of Freshman, B-team and Varsity head coaches who never played a day of college Ball and they eat coaches up with college FB backgrounds. On the other hand many of our states best coaches have strong college FB backgrounds.

They all have several things in common: passion for the game, communication skills, organization and they are students of the game. And guess what? You don't have to run a 4'6 to coach running backs.

I believe it is factual that Coach McAdams at David Lipscomb not only did not play or coach in college, he didn't play in high school, has not ever played in a football game in his life. He has done very well, has the respect and admiration of the other coaches, and has made a great contribution to the game.

Coach McCadams played quarterback at Huntingdon. He was on a team with Tim Priest, of the UT football radio network. He suffered a broken leg that ended his football playing days early. He also played basketball and baseball at Huntingdon and Bethel College. He seems to have done pretty well for a coach with no college experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching T.V. the other night and a parent of a Powell player made a comment to the effect that if a High School Coach didn't play college ball he wasn't qualified to coach on the high school level. What do you guys think. I know Coach Helton didn't play college football and he has been pretty successful at Central.

You do not have to play football at all to be a great coach. Coaching is about mananging your assistants and your players. You need good people around you and understand how to motivate people. Rick Insell never played college ball but was and is fairly successful. He didn't play high school ball, said he sat beside the coach and never went into games. He watched and learned everything his high school coach did, and look at the college players he has polished.

I guess that Powell player did not realize that more than half of the Powell Coaching staff did not play college football.

Having played the game in college gets you some respect up front, along with more knowledge of schemes. To say that a guy that never played college ball is not qualified shows the immaturity of his thinking.