Preseason Top 5 for Norhteast Tennessee

PowrPlus

It’s all hear-say evidence so far, but listening to some football coaches and interested parties along the way during football media days, here’s a quick preseason top five for Northeast Tennessee:

1. Sullivan South (Class 4A)

2. Science Hill (Class 5A)

3. Dobyns-Bennett (Class5A)

4. Tennessee High (Class 4A)

5. Johnson County (Class 4A)

Doug Fritz is a sports writer for the Johnson City Press.

Unreal. I dont think anyone up here in Mountain City has been classed with this group since the 50's. I am shocked by this to say the least. I would love to say I agree but this is a little more respect than we have earned as of yet. To my knowledge we are still the smallest 3A school in the state just playing up to limit travel. Seems like big company to me.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. Fritz is usually wrong.

B. Science Hill will rule the area and destroy South

C. DB still can't be ranked below South. DB lost a ton, but so did South. Remember last year? South was going to win??!! 44-o ring a bell? Not that big of a difference.

Fritz will have to change his picks early after the Hill mauls South just like DB did last year.

The Soony Moore 5A rankings have DB 4th in the state behind number 3 Oak Ridge. Interesting reading, Sevier County 14, William Blount 15, Bearden 20 and Science Hill 29.

With all due respect, preseason polls are about selling newspapers...uh, South and the "Hill" play each other to start the season, how many more papers might the Press sell with a bit more hype to the game and then an "upset" by the "Hill''...I see well thought out marketing plans coming into play...which is fine, it is a for-profit business...Hoople sells papers for the Times-News, too...it is fun stuff...should be a great season...

Roll Tribe Roll

my top 5 in east tennessee -- Just my thoughts on it

1. Ksport DB (Till somebody from here knocks them off have to go with them)

2. MTown East (Should be a very tough team to handle this year good both sides of the ball)

3. Sull. South (Lost a lot to graduation but phillips and good recievers return)

4. Tn. High (Good coaching and some good talent)

5. Science Hill (Always had the talent now they have a coach lets see what he does with it)

my top 5 in east tennessee -- Just my thoughts on it

1. Ksport DB (Till somebody from here knocks them off have to go with them)

2. MTown East (Should be a very tough team to handle this year good both sides of the ball)

3. Sull. South (Lost a lot to graduation but phillips and good recievers return)

4. Tn. High (Good coaching and some good talent)

5. Science Hill (Always had the talent now they have a coach lets see what he does with it)

1. Morristown West

2. DB

3. Morristown East

4. Sullivan South

5. Science Hill

Unreal. I dont think anyone up here in Mountain City has been classed with this group since the 50's. I am shocked by this to say the least. I would love to say I agree but this is a little more respect than we have earned as of yet. To my knowledge we are still the smallest 3A school in the state just playing up to limit travel. Seems like big company to me.

NO actually Elizabethton is the smallest playing up

I knew they were close. I actually show Johnson County at 700 and Besty at 836 but that may have changed in the last year. That would seem like a big shift though. I wish a few more in the area would get to the three A level to form a conference or at least the school boards would open up their pocketbooks and let us play in our class. It seems that it is all about money and travel. I am pretty sure that Johnson County counts people in the optional high school (getting GED's that are to old to play) just to up their enrollment for state funding. I guess education is the most important thing but being consistently good in any sport with our size is almost impossible.

I knew they were close. I actually show Johnson County at 700 and Besty at 836 but that may have changed in the last year. That would seem like a big shift though. I wish a few more in the area would get to the three A level to form a conference or at least the school boards would open up their pocketbooks and let us play in our class. It seems that it is all about money and travel. I am pretty sure that Johnson County counts people in the optional high school (getting GED's that are to old to play) just to up their enrollment for state funding. I guess education is the most important thing but being consistently good in any sport with our size is almost impossible.

Listed below are the enrollment numbers from January 2006 according to the TSSAA

Johnson Co. High School (4A)- 683

Elizabethton High School (4A)- 774

Greeneville High School (4A)- 864

Dobyns Bennett High School (5A)- 1,799

Science Hill High School (5A)- 2,031

It’s all hear-say evidence so far, but listening to some football coaches and interested parties along the way during football media days, here’s a quick preseason top five for Northeast Tennessee:

1. Sullivan South (Class 4A)

2. Science Hill (Class 5A)

3. Dobyns-Bennett (Class5A)

4. Tennessee High (Class 4A)

5. Johnson County (Class 4A)

Doug Fritz is a sports writer for the Johnson City Press.

If you include Region 2 - 4A, my top 5 are:

M-East

Science Hill

D-B

M-West

South

Others to watch: G'ville, THS, Johnson Co, Cloudland

If you don't include the southern end of Region 2 - 4A, my top 5 are:

Science Hill

D-B

South

G'ville

THS

Others to watch: Johnson Co., Cloudland, Volunteer, Betsy, Central

Biggest potential for downside in the above group: D-B (they could start 1-3)

Biggest potential for upside: Johnson County (if they can control the ball in the SS game early in the season and pull the upset, watch out)

Unicoi actually faces the exact same problem. As a matter of fact, both teams switched classification at the same time. If I'm not mistaken, there are official discussions taking place addressing the creation of a new 3A conference that would eliminate extensive regular season travel. I hope this comes to pass.

All three of the 5A teams could win the championship. This includes Greeneville H.S. Science Hill has a new coach and DB has a very good QB. Greeneville always has some good athletes. But, they play the Morristown teams, Jeff Co. and Knoxvill teams. None of the teams in Upper East Tenn. have much success playing the Division 2, 5A teams in recent years.

etvol