Temple

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Zonepirate or anyone else have any idea when more information is coming out in the newsapaper? I had heard that TSSAA was in town and still working hard. I would think that the longer the investigation goes, the worse it looks for Temple. Anyone agree or disagree with this way of thinking?

New article in the TFP linked above. Nothing really new about Temple just discussing recruiting in general, public and private. I think it will be at least next week before the TSSAA finishes up

The part below may prove interesting....ever hear of a breakfast club??

According to Efrin Stewart, a Tyner assistant coach who has also coached the Brainerd Bills 12-under teams for 27 years, recruiting has now moved below the middle school ranks and sometimes even away from the field. Stewart said some "nonrecruiting recruiters" have used church engagements as chances to get in good with players and their families.

Just for "argument sake", lets say that what Scott Chastain, Chip Kell, Steve Beard, and Kevin Scoggin have all been accused of or had their name associated with all happened because they had been taught, mentored that this was how things were done at Temple. What if each of these men simply were acting in a manner that they had been assured was okay, legal, and the way things are done in high school sports. None of these men were teachers or even full time employees of a school. Just for "argument sake", lets say that they trusted the words that they had been told. There are certainly similiar threads in what has been said about each of these men. Recruiting. Players practicing and playing without attending Temple. Tuition questions. Contact questions. Are all these just coincidences? Did all of this just happen by accident all at the same time or is there a bigger picture that will provide the answer? We may find out next week or the weeks or months that follow, or we may never know. I just think that some time might be spent considering that all of this just didn't happen because the new administration is not capable of running an athletic program or a school, it may be that they just inherited a pretty big mess that started years ago and just snowballed into something that is now out of control. Just for "argument sake".

Just for "argument sake", lets say that what Scott Chastain, Chip Kell, Steve Beard, and Kevin Scoggin have all been accused of or had their name associated with all happened because they had been taught, mentored that this was how things were done at Temple. What if each of these men simply were acting in a manner that they had been assured was okay, legal, and the way things are done in high school sports. None of these men were teachers or even full time employees of a school. Just for "argument sake", lets say that they trusted the words that they had been told. There are certainly similiar threads in what has been said about each of these men. Recruiting. Players practicing and playing without attending Temple. Tuition questions. Contact questions. Are all these just coincidences? Did all of this just happen by accident all at the same time or is there a bigger picture that will provide the answer? We may find out next week or the weeks or months that follow, or we may never know. I just think that some time might be spent considering that all of this just didn't happen because the new administration is not capable of running an athletic program or a school, it may be that they just inherited a pretty big mess that started years ago and just snowballed into something that is now out of control. Just for "argument sake".

I have not written regularly about this subject but I have to say that I agree with Taydizzle that all of this just seems like it just didn't start happening at Temple but looks like it could have been going on for years without being reported.

all of this just seems like it just didn't start happening at Temple but looks like it could have been going on for years without being reported.[/i]

Which is exactly why I think the punishment will be severe.

It's not near what you all are making it out to be. Temple will get some type of probation and fines and will be hanging more banners real soon.

From this article -

"While public-school coaches continue to be suspicious of their private-school counterparts about recruiting, the finger pointing does not end there. A poll of Chattanooga-area coaches shows there is distrust among public schools about each other. Of 26 area public-school coaches asked, 20 stated that recruiting is one of their biggest concerns.

"It's a huge problem," Howard coach Alvin Tarver said. "It happens all the time. I've had kids tell me that certain schools have contacted them, and that's both private and other public schools. You can easily sell a kid a dream, and the problem is a lot of these coaches know kids in single-parent homes are very vulnerable and they prey on that.

"There are some coaches just trying to protect their job by getting the best players, and they really don't care about the kid at all. They're just using the kid because he's a good athlete."

So hate all private schools because you think Temple cheated but . . .