Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in the article TSSAA stated that they stripped USJ of their title for close to the same offenses, and I know for a fact that when USJ was stripped of their title it became vacant for that year. That was a State title and not a region title but i still feel that if anything is discovered to be suspiscious for TT that the region title for the 2006-2007 season should be vacated as apposed to giving it to South Pitt, not that it would matter one way or the other.

Winning teams bring big gates. Also attracts better talent. Tempts honesty. Even in the best of folks.

While we are tossing around the word "cheat," and Temple vacating the region title, it would be good to keep a few significant/insignificant points in perspective. Chastain's son did play in at least one region game but it was for junk minutes after the game was well in hand and in no way did he even slightly contribute to the game being won. The game I am referring to was at Grace. The kid took three or four snaps at the end of the game and fumbled everyone. Chastain wanted his son to eventually be the quarterback and put him in. I doubt many people knew his son came tuition free, but what did it matter when he was just an eight grader playing on an ISC team and not an TSSAA team. The infraction occurred when Scott put his own son in to play. He was probably the only person, other than the administration, who knew that his son was attending the school for free. At the time he either did not know it was a violation or justified it or did not care. He has already proven himself to be quite ignorant of the TSSAA rule book. I was surprised at how ignorant of the rules I was until some of you guys pointed them out to me, which I appreciate very much. In now way is the infraction justified. If the rules were broken then I will be the first to say that the proper punishment needs to be meted out. It is not fair to the many schools who carefully abide by the rules to let this slide.

I have very adamantly posted on here in times past that I did not believe "any" Temple coaches would ever be guilty of violating TSSAA rules but the more I learn about this situation with Scott, the more I realize that I will never be able to say that again. But, I still maintain that Dan Wadley ran a clean program and until proven otherwise, other than Scott Chastain, Temple has not been guilty of any recruiting violations or any other TSSAA rules infractions.

While we are tossing around the word "cheat," and Temple vacating the region title, it would be good to keep a few significant/insignificant points in perspective. Chastain's son did play in at least one region game but it was for junk minutes after the game was well in hand and in no way did he even slightly contribute to the game being won. The game I am referring to was at Grace. The kid took three or four snaps at the end of the game and fumbled everyone. Chastain wanted his son to eventually be the quarterback and put him in. I doubt many people knew his son came tuition free, but what did it matter when he was just an eight grader playing on an ISC team and not an TSSAA team. The infraction occurred when Scott put his own son in to play. He was probably the only person, other than the administration, who knew that his son was attending the school for free. At the time he either did not know it was a violation or justified it or did not care. He has already proven himself to be quite ignorant of the TSSAA rule book. I was surprised at how ignorant of the rules I was until some of you guys pointed them out to me, which I appreciate very much. In now way is the infraction justified. If the rules were broken then I will be the first to say that the proper punishment needs to be meted out. It is not fair to the many schools who carefully abide by the rules to let this slide.

I have very adamantly posted on here in times past that I did not believe "any" Temple coaches would ever be guilty of violating TSSAA rules but the more I learn about this situation with Scott, the more I realize that I will never be able to say that again. But, I still maintain that Dan Wadley ran a clean program and until proven otherwise, other than Scott Chastain, Temple has not been guilty of any recruiting violations or any other TSSAA rules infractions.

There is another question to be asked: Did the previous coach, who was a non-paid volunteer and a non full-time faculty member, pay tuition for his kids? I believe this is being looked into also.

There is another question to be asked: Did the previous coach, who was a non-paid volunteer and a non full-time faculty member, pay tuition for his kids? I believe this is being looked into also.

THat was already looked into- and yes he did....full tuition...that is not what it being looked into- now everything illegal surrounds chastain

Good post pasture...