Open Zone Same As Privates That Recruit

If a school offer scholarships to attend that school, then they must play in Division II right? So, other private schools, that choose not to offer financial aid, can elect to play Division I with all the public schools, correct? It is my understanding as well, that each individual school system, has their own set of rules pertaining to who they allow to enroll in their school. It is my belief, that the reason that most don't allow out of zone students is because of out of zone students going to school there, while everyone else pays for it through taxes. Furthermore meaning that a school that will accept kids from out of zone is no different from a private school. Am I correct on all of this? Can TSSAA not make a participation rule toward athletics on this issue?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a school offer scholarships to attend that school, then they must play in Division II right? So, other private schools, that choose not to offer financial aid, can elect to play Division I with all the public schools, correct? It is my understanding as well, that each individual school system, has their own set of rules pertaining to who they allow to enroll in their school. It is my belief, that the reason that most don't allow out of zone students is because of out of zone students going to school there, while everyone else pays for it through taxes. Furthermore meaning that a school that will accept kids from out of zone is no different from a private school. Am I correct on all of this? Can TSSAA not make a participation rule toward athletics on this issue?

I think that is a big factor is higher populated areas. In rural areas...it is not as big of a factor. I do think the open and tuition paying publics will face some kind of rule change in the future. I really don't see a big difference. If I was a private school under the multiplier...I would be raising heck about those public schools.

The standout player for Alcoa that was busted at the school for drugs had a Knoxville address. How it that possible?

Out of zone kids at Alcoa can pay tuition to attend. Maryville has the same setup. Small publics in highly populated areas have the same advantage small privates do if they have open zones or tuition paying students.

The big difference is unless it's a magnet with players from all over town, I doubt there are too many at schools such as Alcoa outside the zone, and much fewer than that play sports. Compare that to a private with no defined zone and in Chattanooga, from the whole tri-state area. Same as I said in another post, if a magnet or open-zone/fee public has x percentage of athletes on its football team from outside a zone over a couple of years, move them up a level for each percentage they reach (10 percent, 20 percent, etc). For magnets without a clear zone, define it using population density for the age group in the area the school's located (square miles they'd need to hit the 1A limit and so on).

The big difference is unless it's a magnet with players from all over town, I doubt there are too many at schools such as Alcoa outside the zone, and much fewer than that play sports. Compare that to a private with no defined zone and in Chattanooga, from the whole tri-state area. Same as I said in another post, if a magnet or open-zone/fee public has x percentage of athletes on its football team from outside a zone over a couple of years, move them up a level for each percentage they reach (10 percent, 20 percent, etc). For magnets without a clear zone, define it using population density for the age group in the area the school's located (square miles they'd need to hit the 1A limit and so on).

Or just realize that there are advantages and disadvantages for all schools, get rid of the silly book full of rules that have been levied against privates for their advantages, and play ball. Nah, too simple. And it admits that there are publics with as many or more advantages than the privates...

We could still move to a merit system...takes into account ALL advantages and disadvantages for ALL schools.

And why make it that complicated? As I posted elsewhere, the problem is not that privates, suburban or city schools have a built-in advantage, but that small rural 1-a publics have a built-in disadvantage. They simply do not have the resources or the will to compete against privates and/or metro area teams. Why not give them there own Division with their own championship? Why have the Mt. Pleasants of the world dictate what the level of competition should be for the rest of us?

• 2 weeks later...

I think that is a big factor is higher populated areas. In rural areas...it is not as big of a factor. I do think the open and tuition paying publics will face some kind of rule change in the future. I really don't see a big difference. If I was a private school under the multiplier...I would be raising heck about those public schools.

In West Tenn...Gibson, Carroll counties to name a few...most of the schools are special school districts...many of them allow an out of zone student to attend if he pays a fee to offset the taxes he is not paying by living in the zone...this is little more than tuition...and these are hardly metro areas

Does Milan allow out of zone students attend if they pay a fee?

In West Tenn...Gibson, Carroll counties to name a few...most of the schools are special school districts...many of them allow an out of zone student to attend if he pays a fee to offset the taxes he is not paying by living in the zone...this is little more than tuition...and these are hardly metro areas

Or just realize that there are advantages and disadvantages for all schools, get rid of the silly book full of rules that have been levied against privates for their advantages, and play ball. Nah, too simple. And it admits that there are publics with as many or more advantages than the privates...

We could still move to a merit system...takes into account ALL advantages and disadvantages for ALL schools.

Very good post ol` Bald one. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />