District 11-AA Review/Preview

weaglefan

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Guye played exceptionally well against Mont. Central Friday and should be back in the starting line up soon.

as far as MVP goes Giltner is a great shooter but Pierre is the better athlete and in a pick up game i would pick Pierre first.

ha but were not playin pick up games and i have no vote so we'll see what happens

I agree that Pierre is the MVP of his team because they would have alot more L's than they do without him. Giltner's offense has ebbed and flowed for Harpeth. Trey Carruthers carried the scoring load for about half the season, particularly in the toughest part of the schedule around Christmas. He'd be Harpeth's MVP in my opinion.

What does district MVP mean? I think there are team MVP's for sure. District MVP's are usually based on how their team does which in turn is based on the players surrounding them. Take Jake West for instance. If he plays for one of the contenders last season, he might be MVP. It's too subjective. I don't see the purpose of having one.

The district race is much more intriguing. If Creekwood wins out and Harpeth loses at Sycamore, they'll have the same district record, but I think Creekwood would get the 2 seed because they beat Sycamore. If Harpeth beats Sycamore I think there would be a coin flip because they would each have a loss to each other and to Creekwood. Waverly and Fairview are playing for hosting privileges when they play tomorrow night. The loser of that game is a 5 seed in my opinion.

I agree that Pierre is the MVP of his team because they would have alot more L's than they do without him. Giltner's offense has ebbed and flowed for Harpeth. Trey Carruthers carried the scoring load for about half the season, particularly in the toughest part of the schedule around Christmas. He'd be Harpeth's MVP in my opinion.

What does district MVP mean? I think there are team MVP's for sure. District MVP's are usually based on how their team does which in turn is based on the players surrounding them. Take Jake West for instance. If he plays for one of the contenders last season, he might be MVP. It's too subjective. I don't see the purpose of having one.

The district race is much more intriguing. If Creekwood wins out and Harpeth loses at Sycamore, they'll have the same district record, but I think Creekwood would get the 2 seed because they beat Sycamore. If Harpeth beats Sycamore I think there would be a coin flip because they would each have a loss to each other and to Creekwood. Waverly and Fairview are playing for hosting privileges when they play tomorrow night. The loser of that game is a 5 seed in my opinion.

One thing nobody has mentioned is the intangibles, Not only is Kevin a good player he also is a LEADER.

He demonstrates that on the floor everyday, at practice and game time. His unselfish play has got to count for something. If he wanted to, he could easily be the leading scorer every night, he would much rather get his team involved. Also defensively he has really picked it up a notch.

We have this argument every year. Why pick a district MVP? It's way too subjective. I could make a case that the guy on defense that shuts down the other team's best offensive player is more 'valuable' in the long run than the guy trying to outshoot him. Is it based on stats or is it a true measure of what a guy means to the team? I think it's a stat reward for a guy that plays on the best team typically. The surrounding cast has more to do with who gets this reward than anything and at the end of the day, it doesn't mean anything. It's an individual award for a team effort.

Tomorrow night's game Fairview at Waverly should be good. If Fairview pulls it out, they should finish in the four spot and Waverly would most likely drop to the 6 spot as SC owns the tiebreaker with them.

If Wavewrly wins, there would be a three way tie in all likelyhood.

I thought Fairview would win this game, but with their injuries I give this one to Waverly. Waverly at home is hard to beat and a team without all its weapons would have trouble winning there.

One thing nobody has mentioned is the intangibles, Not only is Kevin a good player he also is a LEADER.

He demonstrates that on the floor everyday, at practice and game time. His unselfish play has got to count for something. If he wanted to, he could easily be the leading scorer every night, he would much rather get his team involved. Also defensively he has really picked it up a notch.

Since you've mentioned these things, let's discuss them. Some folks have been talking Kevin and Harpeth up since preseason, predicting they would beat everyone and lead the district. Of course everyone is pulling for their team and their players. I like Kevin a lot. but even if I was a Harpeth fan, I would have to give MVP to Pierre and here's why. Sycamore is leading and beat Harpeth and that is a testament to Pierre's leadership with a team of great guys who play together and do what it takes as a team. You say that Kevin is unselfish as if Pierre is not an uselfish player. Pierre is one of the most unselfish players given his tremendous talent and athleticism I've seen. In my opinion he should be taking it to the hoop more. But, he's more excited about an assist than he is a score...and has a ton of assists, blocks and steals...those are the intangibles that are not measured at this level but certainly impact the end result of games. Most players, given his ability would want to show off their ability every play and not be content to be such a team player, but Pierre cares more about his team being a team and winning as a team. It doesn't matter who is the leading scorer. And, there is no question when it comes to defense, he is a much stronger defensive player than Giltner, and many believe him to be the best defender in the district. You say Giltner could easily lead his team in scoring every night if he wanted to...Do you think he wanted to go scoreless against Waverly when he last played them?...I doubt it. Let's face it, all players are trying to perform well for their teams every night. My final comparison comes down to the teams. Harpeth went into the season ranked #1, but Sycamore is #1. Harpeth has underachieved under Giltner's leadership and Pierre's leadership has taken Sycamore further than predicted. MVP is about who is most valuable to their team and how far their contribution is able to get their team...so we'll see in the end. And, I sure wouldn't count Creekwood out. Granted, the first game Sycamore played them at Creekwood, the rest of the Sycamore players had really off nights, which give credit to Creekwood, those Creekwood boys showed what they are capable of. They played tough defense and executed beautifully. They can certainly beat Harpeth if they play like they did against Sycamore the first time they played this season.

We have this argument every year. Why pick a district MVP? It's way too subjective. I could make a case that the guy on defense that shuts down the other team's best offensive player is more 'valuable' in the long run than the guy trying to outshoot him. Is it based on stats or is it a true measure of what a guy means to the team? I think it's a stat reward for a guy that plays on the best team typically. The surrounding cast has more to do with who gets this reward than anything and at the end of the day, it doesn't mean anything. It's an individual award for a team effort.

I hear what you are saying, but they will continue to pick one, so these things have to be measured and debated and they are debated in every district because people are pulling for the guy on their team and ignore all the criteria and try to make the focus what their player is best at. The fact is, All the Stats are important, not just scoring, but shutting down opposing teams best offensive players, and overall good team performance are all key ingredients to the award. Finally, how well would a team do without the player's contribution? People want to pick it based on who they like or who they think is a good kid or a nice kid, etc, but it should not be so subjective.

Two things.

1. What is the criteria for Most Valuable? If it's the maximum number of games your team would lose without a guy in the lineup, that's one measuring stick. Offensive stats? Defensive stats? Who makes the teammates around him better when he's in the game? Let's face it. Nobody knows the criteria because there isn't one. It's a stupid award imo. What purpose does it serve? Same for coach of the year. Why do we care?

2. If Harpeth beats Sycamore in the last game of the season, they'll be technically tied for 1st in the district. It'll be a coin flip, so we don't know if the pre-season opinions were wrong or not. Overall record isn't a fair comparision. They don't play the same schedule. Nobody in our district wants to play CPA twice I assure you. Livingston Academy is in the top 10 in AA as well. There's a lot of basketball to be played before Sycamore is annoited the champion of 11AA for whatever that's worth.

I hear what you are saying, but they will continue to pick one, so these things have to be measured and debated and they are debated in every district because people are pulling for the guy on their team and ignore all the criteria and try to make the focus what their player is best at. The fact is, All the Stats are important, not just scoring, but shutting down opposing teams best offensive players, and overall good team performance are all key ingredients to the award. Finally, how well would a team do without the player's contribution? People want to pick it based on who they like or who they think is a good kid or a nice kid, etc, but it should not be so subjective.

I hear you as well, but there are too many elements that are unknown. Kevin's points, rebounds, assists, minutes, whatever can be picked up by Trey or some of the other guards. There's still 'value' and intangible things like Coachcut said, but really I think Harpeth would lose fewer games without Kevin than Sycamore would without Pierre. That just means Sycamore doesn't have anybody to replace Pierre with.

It's meaningless. There's no value in the award imo. I would rather have the players in the district choose who they would pick first in a pick up game. That has more meaning. It could be the kid on the worst team in the district that's throwing up 30 or the guy on a loaded team that's just doing his job. More than likely it would be the best kid. The one that most of the guys in the district would like to play with because he's a good guy. That would mean more to me than whatever an MVP is.

Tomorrow night's game Fairview at Waverly should be good. If Fairview pulls it out, they should finish in the four spot and Waverly would most likely drop to the 6 spot as SC owns the tiebreaker with them.

If Wavewrly wins, there would be a three way tie in all likelyhood.

I thought Fairview would win this game, but with their injuries I give this one to Waverly. Waverly at home is hard to beat and a team without all its weapons would have trouble winning there.

I agree. It's a big night for Waverly. It's Senior Night in Tiger Town. Although the guys have no Seniors other than the injured Chase Collump, emotions will be running on high in this game. Not just because of Senior night, but this game is big. Just like you said. The Tigers control their destiny, and I'm sure they wouldn't have it any other way.