District 11-AA Review/Preview

weaglefan

IMO, Trey Caruthers impressed me the most for Harpeth when they played Waverly, and we have only played Sycamore once but Pierre Mitchell won me over for them. SC doesn't have an MVP candidate, as well as Mont. Cent., Fairview, and even Waverly even though the Leonard kid, and Vogel kid have played really well for them, and I don't recall anyone impressing me for Creek Wood even though we have only played them once. So I would say between those two guys. GRanted Giltner is good, but like USPatriot put it, he put up a goose egg against Waverly, and it wasn't because he was passing the ball off. For all district I would say;

Trey Caruthers Harpeth

Kevin Giltner Harpeth

Dylan Smith Stewart Co.

Bledsoe Fairview

Green Mont. Cent.

Primm Creek Wood

Leonard Waverly

Vogel Waverly

Mitchell Sycamore

#41 for Sycamore

I know I'll catch a lot of flack for putting two Waverly guys but both average over 13 pts a game and are without a doubt equally valuable to this young Waverly team.

Ballbasher 30, Waverly would beat Fairview this time with a healthy team IMO. I don't think it will be even close either.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah papatiger. I think #20 from Waverly belongs there from the games with Harpeth and #1 isn't far behind. Is that the two guys you put up? I agree with Primm from Creekwood, Green from Montgomery Central, haven't seen Stewart County and don't know who I'd pick from Cheatham or Fairview. It's been too long since we played them. I don't know who I'd add for Harpeth. The other points have been from different ones at different times. Tyler Carruthers has come off the bench to make a difference more than the rest I suppose. Staggs, Dempsey or Nicholson from Sycamore can all contribute as can Kilgore. Your list is as good as any.

I agree that Pierre is the MVP of his team because they would have alot more L's than they do without him. Giltner's offense has ebbed and flowed for Harpeth. Trey Carruthers carried the scoring load for about half the season, particularly in the toughest part of the schedule around Christmas. He'd be Harpeth's MVP in my opinion.

What does district MVP mean? I think there are team MVP's for sure. District MVP's are usually based on how their team does which in turn is based on the players surrounding them. Take Jake West for instance. If he plays for one of the contenders last season, he might be MVP. It's too subjective. I don't see the purpose of having one.

The district race is much more intriguing. If Creekwood wins out and Harpeth loses at Sycamore, they'll have the same district record, but I think Creekwood would get the 2 seed because they beat Sycamore. If Harpeth beats Sycamore I think there would be a coin flip because they would each have a loss to each other and to Creekwood. Waverly and Fairview are playing for hosting privileges when they play tomorrow night. The loser of that game is a 5 seed in my opinion.

MVP MEANS THE PLAYER THAT IS MOST VALUBLE TO THAT TEAM AND THE IMPACT HE HAS IN THE LEAGUE THAT HE PLAYS IN .JAKE WEST WAS THE SOLE REASON SC WON 17 DISTRICT GAMES IN 2 YEARS AND THE REASON THEIR TEAM WENT FROM THE DORMAT IN 11AA TO A SERIOUS CONTENDER. HOWEVER HE WAS NOT SELECTED AS MVP IN EITHER SEASON. THIS YEAR IS NOT AS OBVIOUS SO THERE IS NO TELLING. AS FAR AS COMPARISONS WINS TO LOSES, OUT OF THE 17 WINS IF JAKE WEST DOES NOT PLAY SC DOES NOT WIN 5 DISTRICT WINS IN 2 YEARS. SO I WOULD NOT TRY THE WINS VS LOSES IF HE PLAYED OR NOT, THIS DOES NOT SEEM TO BE THE CRITERIA

IMO, Trey Caruthers impressed me the most for Harpeth when they played Waverly, and we have only played Sycamore once but Pierre Mitchell won me over for them. SC doesn't have an MVP candidate, as well as Mont. Cent., Fairview, and even Waverly even though the Leonard kid, and Vogel kid have played really well for them, and I don't recall anyone impressing me for Creek Wood even though we have only played them once. So I would say between those two guys. GRanted Giltner is good, but like USPatriot put it, he put up a goose egg against Waverly, and it wasn't because he was passing the ball off. For all district I would say;

Trey Caruthers Harpeth

Kevin Giltner Harpeth

Dylan Smith Stewart Co.

Bledsoe Fairview

Green Mont. Cent.

Primm Creek Wood

Leonard Waverly

Vogel Waverly

Mitchell Sycamore

#41 for Sycamore

I know I'll catch a lot of flack for putting two Waverly guys but both average over 13 pts a game and are without a doubt equally valuable to this young Waverly team.

Ballbasher 30, Waverly would beat Fairview this time with a healthy team IMO. I don't think it will be even close either.

there is no way you can leave the taylor kid out. he is the main reason that sc has a chance for the #4 seed

Nah papatiger. I think #20 from Waverly belongs there from the games with Harpeth and #1 isn't far behind. Is that the two guys you put up? I agree with Primm from Creekwood, Green from Montgomery Central, haven't seen Stewart County and don't know who I'd pick from Cheatham or Fairview. It's been too long since we played them. I don't know who I'd add for Harpeth. The other points have been from different ones at different times. Tyler Carruthers has come off the bench to make a difference more than the rest I suppose. Staggs, Dempsey or Nicholson from Sycamore can all contribute as can Kilgore. Your list is as good as any.

Yes, those were the two I put on there, #20 is Leonard, #1 is Vogel. I believe STaggs is one I had thought about and Dempsey is the one I had a number for but not a name from Sycamore. And I can't disagree with Tyler Caruthers either.

I left the Taylor kid off because the two games I saw him play he didn't impress me. Yes, he is tall and can shoot some, block shots of kids 6 inches shorter, but he hasn't shown me that he is an impact player. Good player yes, but not impact. I also disagree for the reason SC has a chance for #4. I think that is Coach Craig. He can get the most out of any ball player he has ever coached and he has for SC.

Yes, those were the two I put on there, #20 is Leonard, #1 is Vogel. I believe STaggs is one I had thought about and Dempsey is the one I had a number for but not a name from Sycamore. And I can't disagree with Tyler Caruthers either.

I left the Taylor kid off because the two games I saw him play he didn't impress me. Yes, he is tall and can shoot some, block shots of kids 6 inches shorter, but he hasn't shown me that he is an impact player. Good player yes, but not impact. I also disagree for the reason SC has a chance for #4. I think that is Coach Craig. He can get the most out of any ball player he has ever coached and he has for SC.

SC IS 2-0 VS WAVERLY THIS YEAR AND THE TAYLOR KID IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS WHY.DEFENSE, POINT PRODUCTION , AND REBOUNDING ETC.SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT STATS INVOLVING BBALL. BUT I CAN SEE WHY HE DID NOT IMPRESS YOU AND WHY YOU LEFT HIM OFF YOUR LIST. I HOPE YOU DONT GET TO VOTE!

SC IS 2-0 VS WAVERLY THIS YEAR AND THE TAYLOR KID IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS WHY.DEFENSE, POINT PRODUCTION , AND REBOUNDING ETC.SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT STATS INVOLVING BBALL. BUT I CAN SEE WHY HE DID NOT IMPRESS YOU AND WHY YOU LEFT HIM OFF YOUR LIST. I HOPE YOU DONT GET TO VOTE!

I stand by what I believe. He wasn't a force in rebounding or passing or scoring against Waverly. Now he did block 4 or 5 shots of kids that were 5-11, 6-0, but that doesn't impress me. Dylan Smith is by far the best player on SC and there are some more kids on that team that are better than Taylor. That's not harping on this young man, he gives his best and he is a good player. just not a game changer. I don't know why you say you can see why he didn't impress. The reason is, he didn't play that well against Waverly. That's the only games I've seen him play. Dylan Smith on the other hand played great and so did a couple of the other guys. Coach Craig is your reason for your resurgence. If he had of been coaching when WEst was there, you would have won the district IMO.

I stand by what I believe. He wasn't a force in rebounding or passing or scoring against Waverly. Now he did block 4 or 5 shots of kids that were 5-11, 6-0, but that doesn't impress me. Dylan Smith is by far the best player on SC and there are some more kids on that team that are better than Taylor. That's not harping on this young man, he gives his best and he is a good player. just not a game changer. I don't know why you say you can see why he didn't impress. The reason is, he didn't play that well against Waverly. That's the only games I've seen him play. Dylan Smith on the other hand played great and so did a couple of the other guys. Coach Craig is your reason for your resurgence. If he had of been coaching when WEst was there, you would have won the district IMO.

Well im gonna have to agree with JUSTASKME on this one. Just bc taylor didnt have his best game, he still had his presence in there to change around waverlys game plan. Him and both Smith brothers have done well this season. Boone smith started the season off strong and now dylan is becoming more of an all around option, but boone can still step up a stroke a 3 any given second. Im also gonna have to disagree with your statement on winning a championship if craig was coaching. Believe me, him and bramlett are both great coaches and im not taking anything away from either of them bc if it wasnt for them, SC would not have been where they have been the past cppl of years. but i look at it like this, last year craig was assistant to bramlett, this year its the opposite. the team this year is still playing the same type of offense as last year except a little more of 4 out because they only have one true post in taylor where as last years team had west and lancaster. saying that, i believe the season last year would be about the same if craig was head coach. so in my opinion i wouldnt say craig is the resurgence, but to me, bramlett and craig both contribute to the resurgence. Playing the same D and O as last year and because they were put in the position to take over again, we are now going back in the right direction.

For all the MVP talk, i agree with JUSTASKME again in that if it was given to the player who did most for his team, West should have gotten it last year or the year before but he didnt. that means i also agree with KSVOLS in saying that the whole mvp voting is completely subjective most of the time bc the best player on the best team usually will win it when its time to vote. For this year i say it will be pierre and he does do a lot for his team and has kept them in 1st. If he wasnt there, the war eagles would have lost 4-5 games in district play, including SC who had them in a close one at home. Yes Giltner and Trey are both great players but Harpeth always has plenty of talent and they have quite a few role players that could be stars at some of the other schools. To me, this makes mitchell the MVP without a doubt but time will only tell who gets the subjective award.

Well im gonna have to agree with JUSTASKME on this one. Just bc taylor didnt have his best game, he still had his presence in there to change around waverlys game plan. Him and both Smith brothers have done well this season. Boone smith started the season off strong and now dylan is becoming more of an all around option, but boone can still step up a stroke a 3 any given second. Im also gonna have to disagree with your statement on winning a championship if craig was coaching. Believe me, him and bramlett are both great coaches and im not taking anything away from either of them bc if it wasnt for them, SC would not have been where they have been the past cppl of years. but i look at it like this, last year craig was assistant to bramlett, this year its the opposite. the team this year is still playing the same type of offense as last year except a little more of 4 out because they only have one true post in taylor where as last years team had west and lancaster. saying that, i believe the season last year would be about the same if craig was head coach. so in my opinion i wouldnt say craig is the resurgence, but to me, bramlett and craig both contribute to the resurgence. Playing the same D and O as last year and because they were put in the position to take over again, we are now going back in the right direction.

For all the MVP talk, i agree with JUSTASKME again in that if it was given to the player who did most for his team, West should have gotten it last year or the year before but he didnt. that means i also agree with KSVOLS in saying that the whole mvp voting is completely subjective most of the time bc the best player on the best team usually will win it when its time to vote. For this year i say it will be pierre and he does do a lot for his team and has kept them in 1st. If he wasnt there, the war eagles would have lost 4-5 games in district play, including SC who had them in a close one at home. Yes Giltner and Trey are both great players but Harpeth always has plenty of talent and they have quite a few role players that could be stars at some of the other schools. To me, this makes mitchell the MVP without a doubt but time will only tell who gets the subjective award.

We all could argue, and like I said, I've only seen them play two games. But while Craig was on the bench as assistant, that is a position that you don't call the shots. Imput yes, full control no. I guarantee, there is not another coach around that has the basketball mind that Craig does. You won't make me believe that he is not the main reason. Good luck to you guys the rest of the way. Should be interesting for us all.

when you shoot the ball everytime you touch it and you are half way decent you are going to score points. why would you say west should have won it? if i remember he had a pretty good post player to play with, grant it he didnt have much else but they didnt do anything in the tourney. the most valuable player is the best player in the league. in the past in this district the best players have won the award and i even remember a year when it was split. these coaches know who the best player is and that player will win the award. i like kevins game but i would have to go with pierre in this race but both are great players. in the end the award that matters the most is that district championship plaque.