Knoxville Catholic vs Fulton

Professor_Falkon

The Pearl Cohn game was 20-12 throughout the night until Fulton hit a screen pass to Rogan on the final play of the third quarter that went the distance. 26-12 is not a blowout by any stretch of the imagination.

The State Championship Game was 24-14. How is that a blowout???? David Lipscomb played better in that game than what they did the year before when they couldn't stop Wilson Cates from running the option against them in the 2005 Blue Cross Bowl.

Yes, you are right. I wouldn't consider either of those games a blow out either. Of course, I didn't call them a blow out. Considering that we are talking about a state semi-final game and the championship game, I don't really consider a 14 point and 10 point margin of victory a "close" game. These were supposed to be the top teams in 3A by the time you get to the semi-finals and championship game. I wasn't at those games so they may have felt closer than the score indicated, but from a final score standpoint, these weren't really that close.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catholic has earned they're rep by

1) How they're fans have acted towards the Fulton faithful in the past

2) A bagpipe lady playing her stupid bagpipes after the controversial win for Catholic last year at Bob Black Field on the field while Fulton players walked off. Total disrespect, but she had to eat the stupid things later on!

3) Harrison Smith winning Mr. Football and that being an absolute joke, his numbers were not even close to D. Rogan's

4) Designing their State rings last year before the rematch between the Falcons. Too bad it had to stay a picture because they would have been nice. See, we got the real ones in the end.

5) Whether or not the flag staked in the falcon at our field was the coaches or Catholic students has never been completely determined, but it wouldn't surprise me.

6) Catholic's bunch coming to Fulton last Friday and the "We don't do pictures thing" is right on par with everything else I've heard from the Irish faithful before.

See, Fulton and AE have been rivals for a long time, but there is a sense of respect between the schools for each school's respective accomplishments in the past and for the rivalry. Both schools have earned this respect. Catholic has no respect for Fulton, so until they can win a State Title, I will show them NO respect.

Talk about fans. I was at the game at Fulton last year when a belligerent Fulton fan was screaming and cursing around little kids. A coach from Anderson co. had the police remove the man. I also remember 2 years ago some of the Fulton players not shaking hands with the Catholic kids after Harrison caught the game winning TD. So don't come on here talking about respect. It goes both ways. Despite what you believe, Catholic has a tremendous amount of respect for Fulton and A-E, more than those schools have for them. Coach Pemberton has built a program. It starts when these kids are 7 years old and continues till they get to high school. The kids fit his system not the other way. When kids leave another steps in their place. People forget, Harrison played behind Nick McFadden for 2 years. So it's not a star system, it's a team system, that works.

We were leading Peal-Cohn 20-6 at one point in the game and you're right, it was 20-12 for a time, but 26-12 is really closer than it actually was. Anybody at that game knows that the penalties were heavily in favor of Pearl-Cohn and we even had one touchdown called back because of a bad pass-interference call (Bubba Stokes ran it back for a score). Had it not been for the Mason guy being 6-6 and the QB(his brother) throwing it up for grabs all night, that game would have been a lot worse than 14 points. We never really felt threatened to lose that game. Now, David Lipscomb was very, very close to Catholic and I would like to see those two go head-to-head. Lipscomb was doing a great job of controlling the ball and time of possession in the 1st half until the fumble that Terrence Cobb ran back for a score ultimately turned the whole momentum of that game. In the 2nd half, adjustments were made and we controlled the line of scrimmage. Stokes fumbled one drive that we would have scored on in the redzone, but they did have a crucial fumble as well. It was 24-8 with a little over 3 minutes remaining. On the other hand, Catholic had us 13-0 with only 6 minutes left in that game. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't worried of losing, for the 2nd straight year, to Catholic at that point. But, as championship teams do, we found a way to win the ballgame on the heroics of our Defense and Dennis Rogan and D Freeney's incredible catches in the final drive. Joc Stinson also played very poisied for a sophomore. I would have to say Catholic, outside of Alcoa, was our toughest opponent and we were very confident after that game that we would win the State.

My apologies to you, I did not read it. However it should be another great game. When does Fulton play A-E and does anyone know why they moved the game.

I heard that AE princicpal wanted it moved .. I know that Fulton wanted it left early cause it was a huge gate game for the home team and that was where Fulton made most of its budget for the year .. and was able to plan for the year expenses from proceeds from that game ..made more sense to play early ... thats why Fulton was so dissapointed that Alcoa chose not to play another 2 years ..it was a great gate game for Falcons ... last year Fulton took alot of people to Alcoa so I dont knw why Rankin didnt want to renew ... that why Fulton got Oar Ridge they neede another big gate game for budget purposes. Good Luck to both teams Friday night and hopefully all are safe from injury .. I have always thought and heard games are won in trenches and looking at that KC has the edge but I have also seen games where SPEED has won over but for the most part the line of scrimmage is where its at ... hopefully Fulton can make up in return game somewhere and hit a couple big plays to stay in the game ......

Talk about fans. I was at the game at Fulton last year when a belligerent Fulton fan was screaming and cursing around little kids. A coach from Anderson co. had the police remove the man. I also remember 2 years ago some of the Fulton players not shaking hands with the Catholic kids after Harrison caught the game winning TD. So don't come on here talking about respect. It goes both ways. Despite what you believe, Catholic has a tremendous amount of respect for Fulton and A-E, more than those schools have for them. Coach Pemberton has built a program. It starts when these kids are 7 years old and continues till they get to high school. The kids fit his system not the other way. When kids leave another steps in their place. People forget, Harrison played behind Nick McFadden for 2 years. So it's not a star system, it's a team system, that works.

Im sure you did see a belligerent fan at Fulton .. I can remember may places where I have been where I saw more than one for both teams .. I do know this I think both teams do respect each other .. earlier in year I went to KC for the JV and Freshmen games and they were played very cleanly no jawing back and forth or anyhting ..Fulton kids are good kids too and if they get out of line the coaches are there to dicipline ..I dont want to get into how different the demographics are between the schools because its totally different and some situations have to be handled differently ... I was upset the year KC won on Harrisn Smith catch and Im sure some Falcons werent too happy to shake hands ... they should have .. I will say this ..after last year's wild win by Fulton ..I did see a number of KC kids although very upset congratulate the Fulton players and this included Harrison Smith. Hope its a good game !!

fultonfalcon2006.

Good post. I would guess that Road2Three respects some players on the Catholic team (Zak Tait) based on his previous comments. I'd bet money that while they may not like each other, that a good number of the Catholic players respect Fulton's players, the program, and what they have accomplished. Truth be known, probably jealous.

Now, a couple questions for ya.

How do you think Jabril Siler will play. He's had a nice yr. Made quite a few tackles after the catch, but how dow you think he will play the run? Can he fill?

Blair must be pretty confident after the success he had in the playoff game against Catholic last year, and how well he has done with Tyson, Humphrey, and Smith this year. Will he continue that confidence ?

Is this the game that Cobb explodes? I know he can. Will he? Can he pick a spot, and just hit it?

Can Catholic's run game really get past the Cobb, Antwan Hammilton, Bubba Stokes triangle that tends to contain so well?

There's a few for us to maybe get this thread back to a place it deserves.

Thanks.

ruse?

First of all I think that everyone is making this something that it is not, the players respect each other and the coaches really respect each other, the problem is the fans and its probably a bunch of dads with ego problems, this is supposed to be about football so please can we keep it this way.

ruse?, fulton is very very good, they have a great scheme when they play KC, the difference last year in the game in the regular season was that fulton made too many mistakes and harrison smith played more receiver than WB, Siler could be a difference maker in the game, the catholic run game is severly hurting on the right side without Zak Tait who in the webb game paved a road for zach vann to run on, he makes running the ball a lot easier for vann(bc vann runs to his side being he is the left WB and tait is RT) the falcons are going to put ten in the box put their best athlete on walden and kennedy and the middle passing game is going to be wide open and the run is never going to be there unless they run the option, and for cobb exploding it may just happen BUT catholic had not given up very few rushing yards but their secondary is very vulnerable........

First of all I think that everyone is making this something that it is not, the players respect each other and the coaches really respect each other, the problem is the fans and its probably a bunch of dads with ego problems, this is supposed to be about football so please can we keep it this way.

ruse?, fulton is very very good, they have a great scheme when they play KC, the difference last year in the game in the regular season was that fulton made too many mistakes and harrison smith played more receiver than WB, Siler could be a difference maker in the game, the catholic run game is severly hurting on the right side without Zak Tait who in the webb game paved a road for zach vann to run on, he makes running the ball a lot easier for vann(bc vann runs to his side being he is the left WB and tait is RT) the falcons are going to put ten in the box put their best athlete on walden and kennedy and the middle passing game is going to be wide open and the run is never going to be there unless they run the option, and for cobb exploding it may just happen BUT catholic had not given up very few rushing yards but their secondary is very vulnerable........

RRC2.

I will keep it that way. I could be wrong, but it seems that last year Catholic threw the ball to Smith out of their normal formation. He came uncovered a couple of times sneaking into the seam from the WB spot after play action pulled Rogan up. I did not see the Webb game that you wrote of, but Tait has played LG to the best of my recollection. In the past, they would pull him for Smith from the left side and run over the RG/RT. I saw the replay of MoWest, and did see AE in person, and they did the same there. Last yr. against both AE, and Fulton, they ran the FB right over him as well. Anyway, he's out. Too bad. One of the best young OL I've seen in years. Only one I saw who could hang with A.HAM, even when he was upset. I only saw the box score on the Catholic/AC game, but if Catholic only got 100 or so on the ground, maybe had AC 9 or so in the box. Siler, or whomever will probably be able to cover the Walden or Kennedy kids better 1 on 1 than what AC did anyway. I did watch a replay of the Baylor/Catholic game, and Catholic seemed to do OK against the Massey kid who is a very talented QB. They also did fine against AE w/ Montgomery, Anderson, Anderson, Anderson, and Anderson:) Should be a great game. Fulton is a little younger, but Catholic does have a lot of JRs starting so it's not like there is a huge experience advantage one way or the other. I can tell you this, as much as Catholic wants to pluck the Falcon's feathers; AE next week wants to even more. In talking to the AE folks I know, they could care less who wins, but they sure hope it's a dog fight, that Fulton will only have a week to recover from.

ruse?

That's another drawback to playing AE late. I know Fulton's guys will be rather sore Saturday morning following a physical game like the one Friday night. To follow Catholic up with AE on the road is tough.Oh, and sorry Scott for sounding short about the apology. Didn't realize you hadn't read it. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am amazed that Catholic has managed to engender such an active dislike in such a short space of time and to be honest I just don't understand it. I have been at three of the last four games between these two powerhouses and for me this kind of competitiveness, this kind of rivalry is what sport is all about. I have no idea who is going to win on Friday. I do know I will be entertained and that the kids will battle hard. Personally, I thought that was the whole point of playing.

I'm glad I asked the question and I appreciate the honest (if at times egregious) responses. Once again I'll be there on Friday. As far as the game is concerned, I think Fulton is going to force Catholic to go to the passing game by essentially stopping the run as they did in last year's playoff win. If Catholic don't or can't get the passing game going I believe they'll lose this one too. If they can then I think Catholic wins by a touchdown.

Nothing like hedging one's bets.

I don't remember anyone on the team not shaking hands in that game, but that kind of goes back to my dis like of catholic. There were things that happened in that game that the fans didn't see(Or even more importantly hear) I will not go into any details here as the unnecessary things that that happened in that game has no meaning to the younger players involved Friday.

Now finally, back to the game.

Jabril should be a big help for the falcons friday along with the rest of the secondary. The speed of the secondary will more than likely cause problems for the catholic offensive line(since they will be in the box). I look for Hump, Vic, Tyson, and Siler to all contribute in a big way early in the game. I think that Catholic will have a hard time throwing the ball against this secondary. Therefore, they WILL HAVE TO be able to control the line of scrimmage to win.

Even more important than the secondary is how well catholic can block the big MLB in Bubba Stokes. He has had a remarkable year and has really been the differance maker for this Falcon team. Last week against Kingston, he made the fiest 5 tackles for Fulton in the second half. It will take two people to block him and that always frees up someone to make the tackle.

Offensively, Fulton has struggled on the ground. If Fulton spreads out the Catholic defense they should be able to move the ball. I know that Cobb is a tremendous back but until the offensive line plays better it will be hard to move it on the ground. The best offense for fulton against catholic is the quick short passes.

In summary, I think that both defenses will cause the other team trouble. In a relatively low scoring game, the falcons speed threat makes the differance. Fulton 14(1-1 on 2 point conv.) Catholic 7.