Science Hill QB quits team

bucdaddio

Science Hill quarterback leaves team

By Douglas Fritz

Press Sports Writer

dfritz@johnsoncitypress.com

Science Hill’s quarterback situation changed recently as Daniel Sharp is no longer on the football team.

Hilltoppers head coach Scott Smith did not give a specific reason for Sharp’s departure.

“I don’t want to get into that,” said Smith, whose team is 3-5 heading into Friday’s home game against Knox Karns. “The only one who winds up paying for it is Daniel. It was for personal reasons. We as a team are trying to move on, but we certainly wish Daniel was still on the team.”

Sharp, a junior, had thrown for 951 yards through eight games. His dad, Greg Sharp, said it was his decision for Daniel to quit the team.

“I took him off the team,” said Greg Sharp, a former assistant coach at Daniel Boone. “We talked about it, but it was my decision. He has done absolutely nothing wrong. We just felt this was best.”

Smith said he wanted to make sure it was clear that Daniel was not kicked off of the team.

“He was not thrown off the team, and I say that emphatically,” said Smith. “Somebody was trying to put words in my mouth. But he has done nothing wrong. There is no discipline or anything like that. He’s not a moment’s trouble. He works hard and he plays hard.

“If he came back tomorrow, he would be on the team.”

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it.

Played freshman year at Science Hill, left to play sophomore year at Daniel Boone, for more playing time, then back to Science Hill to play junior year, because playing time opened up there.

Anybody know where he will go to school next year?

And why quit now? Why not at least finish out the season?

Parents can sure mess up a kid's life........................ /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I don't get it.

Played freshman year at Science Hill, left to play sophomore year at Daniel Boone, for more playing time, then back to Science Hill to play junior year, because playing time opened up there.

Anybody know where he will go to school next year?

And why quit now? Why not at least finish out the season?

Parents can sure mess up a kid's life........................ /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I will have to start off by saying Daniel Sharp is a good kid that has worked his butt off! I wish him the best wherever he goes next.

I was told his dad (Greg) inquired (two weeks ago) about Daniel going to Happy Valley next year. (came from a very reliable source).

But, I also am told HV has a pretty good sophomore qb. It’s not a good thing to hop and skip to one place or the other when things don't go your way. Dad's not teaching his son to deal with adversity, which he will be facing all his life.

Sounds like dad is trying to live his football career through his son,and may be ruining it in the process...

Y'all in east TN may not be too familiar with it,but kinda like "Juicy" Locke did with his son Eric.

Moved him from Cookeville to Riverdale(which did pay off...2 Mr.Football's,couple gold balls),then from Alabama to Tennessee...to nowhere... /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

The grass is not always greener...

THE SQUAD /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I realize I, like most everyone else on here, don't really understand the entire situation, but it seems to me this is a situation of a parent protecting a child from a situation...

Regardless, there is too much persecution and not enough compassion and empathy...but then that is how posters on this website have been the past year or two...

Roll Tribe Roll

I will have to start off by saying Daniel Sharp is a good kid that has worked his butt off! I wish him the best wherever he goes next.

I was told his dad (Greg) inquired (two weeks ago) about Daniel going to Happy Valley next year. (came from a very reliable source).

But, I also am told HV has a pretty good sophomore qb. It’s not a good thing to hop and skip to one place or the other when things don't go your way. Dad's not teaching his son to deal with adversity, which he will be facing all his life.

How can you move around so much and not have to set out a year?

I realize I, like most everyone else on here, don't really understand the entire situation, but it seems to me this is a situation of a parent protecting a child from a situation...

Regardless, there is too much persecution and not enough compassion and empathy...but then that is how posters on this website have been the past year or two...

Roll Tribe Roll

How you figure?

The daddy said he made the decision for his son to quit.

He's moved after his freshman and sophomore seasons, and looks to move again after his junior season.

Why should there be compassion and empathy? This is a textbook case of overbaord parent.

My guess is that less that 120 yards a game passing isn't good enough for his son's college recruitment.

Sorry, this doesn't appear to be a situation that warrants compassion. This is like a bad movie. I feel bad for the kid because he is not learning anything other than to be a quitter. Some of the stuff that is important in real life is what he is missing. Things like commitment, courage, and loyalty. The dad is teaching this kid to cut and run when things get tough.

Well since the situation has culminated into Sharp leaving the team, who is the new quarterback? I don't want answers like "the sophomore" or initials for the kid. What is his name and how has he looked on JV this year? How do you think he will fair Friday night in his first varsity start? Or will Hill get the start?

Since new infortmations is jut now being brought to light about the sharps already have been looking to transfer, I guess there was more to the story. Might be a factor into the decision of who gets the start. Hill has been the only other qb to see significant time, as little as that's been. He was the qb that had to move positions to make room for sharp when he transferred in so I believe it will be Hill. I know the inicident that happen last weekend was inexcusable but it wasn't the kids fault. Science Hill still has a shot at making the playoffs, albeit small, but it has to win this game to get to that point. I think that the kids will pull a lil closer.