south doyle

notright

If you think our fanbase is unrealistic, you're prolly right, but it's only because we have a vision for our program and our school, and we wanna see it come to fruition. I'm not expecting us to be 10-0 every season, and beating the crap out of Maryville. But I'm expecting at least a playoff berth every other year or so. That's really not all that much to ask for. Our program is one with an invariable amount of potential.

And how the heck do you know that Hutchins has a long line of AD's waiting for him? Did you go around to all the schools and ask around. And how do you know that there won't be a line of coaches waiting for a chance to coach at the Doyle. Have you interviewed all of the possible candidates for our position?

I'm guessing no to both of my questions

How do I know? Because SD lucked into Hutchins in the 1st place, he left a 5A playoff team to move closer to his family and was all set to take over a 5A team coming off a 9-1 season when your AD did the sell job of the century, and that 5A team shuffled its feet. Coach Hutch saw the POTENTIAL at SD and took the job. So both the job he left, and the job he more than likely would have had had better programs and better chances at winning than 0-10 SD, he choose SD and now you're ready to run him out of town cause he hasn`t take SD to the playoffs every other year? Where you want to see your program and where your program is are two completely different things, let me tell you right now you don`t want a revolving door of HC coaches. You have a coach that has your team playing 10 times better now than when he took over, but its going to take some time before SD is a regular playoff team, thats just the way it is.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets take a look at the team S.D. has to compete against for a play off spot.

Maryville: Great community support, good athletes, transfers from outside the zone, great coaching staff, has a 5-A enrollment playing 4-A, etc... No body has beaten Maryville in the region since Halls did 6 or 7 years ago. Matter in fact no one has beaten Maryville in the last 56 or so games. Most likely the best football program in the state.

Halls: Great community support, solid athletes, great feeder program, great tradition, very solid and experienced coaching staff

West: Similar to S.D. in many ways. Took Cummins several years to get the program going in the right direction. Has benefited from some very good athletes the past couple of years.

Powell: Good feeder program, community support in outstanding, energetic coaching staff that loves Powell, solid players.

These are the four play off teams from this year. I don't think you could say that S.D. was better than any of these team. Especially considering the fact that S.D. lost their best R.B. to transfer and their starting Q.B. to injury earlier in the season. Year in and year out these teams are going to have better talent than S.D. It has been that way every since I can remember.

The rest :

Central: Community support is great, experienced and knowledgeable coaching staff, great athletes, good feeder program.

Clinton is in constant turmoil. The very reason they are having such a difficult time building a program.

Lenoir City: See Clinton

The successful teams in the Region have one thing in common: Great community support. They support the Coaches and players. They don't meddle and mal contents are put in their place quickly.

Clinton, L.C., and S.D. the doormats of the Region always seem to have some kind of dram going on. Which is distracting for the coaches, players, and administration.

You can be a pretty good team in this Region and not make the play offs. Hey S.D., Central , and Clinton all had teams that could have made the play offs in other regions but its not good enough in region 4 AAAA.

Lets take a look at the team S.D. has to compete against for a play off spot.

Maryville: Great community support, good athletes, transfers from outside the zone, great coaching staff, has a 5-A enrollment playing 4-A, etc... No body has beaten Maryville in the region since Halls did 6 or 7 years ago. Matter in fact no one has beaten Maryville in the last 56 or so games. Most likely the best football program in the state.

Halls: Great community support, solid athletes, great feeder program, great tradition, very solid and experienced coaching staff

West: Similar to S.D. in many ways. Took Cummins several years to get the program going in the right direction. Has benefited from some very good athletes the past couple of years.

Powell: Good feeder program, community support in outstanding, energetic coaching staff that loves Powell, solid players.

These are the four play off teams from this year. I don't think you could say that S.D. was better than any of these team. Especially considering the fact that S.D. lost their best R.B. to transfer and their starting Q.B. to injury earlier in the season. Year in and year out these teams are going to have better talent than S.D. It has been that way every since I can remember.

The rest :

Central: Community support is great, experienced and knowledgeable coaching staff, great athletes, good feeder program.

Clinton is in constant turmoil. The very reason they are having such a difficult time building a program.

Lenoir City: See Clinton

The successful teams in the Region have one thing in common: Great community support. They support the Coaches and players. They don't meddle and mal contents are put in their place quickly.

Clinton, L.C., and S.D. the doormats of the Region always seem to have some kind of dram going on. Which is distracting for the coaches, players, and administration.

You can be a pretty good team in this Region and not make the play offs. Hey S.D., Central , and Clinton all had teams that could have made the play offs in other regions but its not good enough in region 4 AAAA.

Dead on, R&B. 3-4A is a solid region year in and year out. It boasts some of the best coaching staffs in the area and the support systems for success is and has been in place at the "big 5" schools for a long, long time. I'm just not sure the rank and file South-Doyle supporters understand just how good the strong the region was when they came in to it and apparently they still don't.

i didn't want to have anything else to do with coacht but saw this thread and was amazed. some people still want to praise duncan (HTV) while others praise hutchins (redsmash) the truth is you guys aren't south knoxville people and probably are actually either those people or they are your heros. the program is slightly better than when we were 0-10 and if i am correct that was the first year duncan was A.D. OK Ok I know that was the year they fired coach swafford so duncan did what he was hired to do. but truth is before that we had two years where we were hard to handle. i have said coach swafford did some things that i thought were bizarre but for the most part he did things to fire up his players and also to encourage support. we hardly ever didn't play in front of big crowds. i remember the amazing excitement the year we lost to Halls in overtime and then the same year beating clinton in overtime. the next year when we beat heritage to start the season and started 4-0 including beating Halls. those were great times, now for SD to move forward one thing has to stop and that is the current group using the "well he is better than swafford" speech and start saying well we've been here for 4 years it is time to put our stamp on things. I am now a business person and would love to support the Kees' but truthfully until I see some community interest shown by our administration and coach then why should i send my money that way. Now, I am finished with coach T. Coach Swafford if you read this I would like to say I hope the next time I see you the circumstances that surround it won't be like it was, however, the guys who were in there won't forget you and coach chandler being there and the fact that no matter what else we learned you taught us that sometimes good things happen and sometimes bad things happen but there are some people who will always be there. Thanks

i didn't want to have anything else to do with coacht but saw this thread and was amazed. some people still want to praise duncan (HTV) while others praise hutchins (redsmash) the truth is you guys aren't south knoxville people and probably are actually either those people or they are your heros. the program is slightly better than when we were 0-10 and if i am correct that was the first year duncan was A.D. OK Ok I know that was the year they fired coach swafford so duncan did what he was hired to do. but truth is before that we had two years where we were hard to handle. i have said coach swafford did some things that i thought were bizarre but for the most part he did things to fire up his players and also to encourage support. we hardly ever didn't play in front of big crowds. i remember the amazing excitement the year we lost to Halls in overtime and then the same year beating clinton in overtime. the next year when we beat heritage to start the season and started 4-0 including beating Halls. those were great times, now for SD to move forward one thing has to stop and that is the current group using the "well he is better than swafford" speech and start saying well we've been here for 4 years it is time to put our stamp on things. I am now a business person and would love to support the Kees' but truthfully until I see some community interest shown by our administration and coach then why should i send my money that way. Now, I am finished with coach T. Coach Swafford if you read this I would like to say I hope the next time I see you the circumstances that surround it won't be like it was, however, the guys who were in there won't forget you and coach chandler being there and the fact that no matter what else we learned you taught us that sometimes good things happen and sometimes bad things happen but there are some people who will always be there. Thanks

I'm just trying to remember: Exactly where did S-D finish in the region in those two years you were talking about? I know it wasn't better than third, and i'm not sure that it was even 4th.

Clark Duncan isn't a "hero" to me, but he is a friend and somebody who possesses a ton of character and has proved that his is a very good coach and administrator. He doesn't need to be "praised" by me or anybody else. His body of work has earn him credibility.

Clark Duncan isn't a "hero" to me, but he is a friend and somebody who possesses a ton of character and has proved that his is a very good coach and administrator. He doesn't need to be "praised" by me or anybody else. His body of work has earn him credibility.

So what if he posseses character if he doesn't make SD sports better. SD sports are in a bit of disarray right now. Actually disarray is a bit of a understatement, but at least our mens b-ball program looks pretty good, and thats about it. Duncan is too much of a character guy, and not enough of a be productive and upgrade athletics kinda guy.

So what if he posseses character if he doesn't make SD sports better. SD sports are in a bit of disarray right now. Actually disarray is a bit of a understatement, but at least our mens b-ball program looks pretty good, and thats about it. Duncan is too much of a character guy, and not enough of a be productive and upgrade athletics kinda guy.

WHAT?!?!??! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Didn't your baseball team just finish runner-up in the state?

Disarray? Good grief. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

By the way, in the long run, character means more than winning. I've also learned that if you give it time, the two usually go hand in hand.

Like Soloman said, the S-D athletic program isn't as lame as you claim.

Character means doing the right thing and staying on the high road. That's exactly what Clark Duncan does and that, my friend, is the most important aspect of leadership.

So as long as you win character doesn't matter? Must be a Bruce Pearl fan. As long as you win it doesn't matter if you cuss kids, have inappropriate relationships with students, fail in your responsibilities as a teacher, etc... Winning at all cost is the purpose of High School sports. If that is your opinion you certainly have a right to express that. But I am of the opinion that High School Coaches first and for most should be of good character. Their job is to make boys into responsible young men. Success always seems to be a by product of that. Get a few outstanding athletes and you have programs like Halls, Powell, Maryville, etc.. Coaches are educators first and for most. Clark Duncan may not be a South Knoxville guy matter in fact he isn't a Powell guy. He is a Unicoi Co. guy. But what he is is an educator first and for most and he cares about the kids at S.D. just as much as he did about the kids in Powell. If you are concerned about how much he cares just look at the Basketball Coach he hired. One of the most sought after coaches in the south east.