Greeneville at Sullivan South

KEV-O

Uh......even if they lost you have to have a lot of respect for a GVille team that turned around their program and got back to their winning ways. They were one of the top 8 4-A teams in TN, I wouldn't call that embarrassed at all since apparently South is a tough team. Cap1............don't make me pull the first round card on you old buddy!

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Formerblazer don't make me pull the DID NOT MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS ATTALL card on you ol buddy!! I already took mine and admitted that the Vikings choked. All I want is for KEV-O to eat his "CROW" like a man and I will let it go.

NOW.........KEV-O......SAY THE WORDS!!/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big win for the Rebs, but after seeing Maryville play tonight...the ride stops next week. Make sure all cloth is washed before turning it in on Monday.

I believe legedary Auburn Tiger coach Shug Jordan said it best "Remember,Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David." Go South! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Formerblazer don't make me pull the DID NOT MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS ATTALL card on you ol buddy!! I already took mine and admitted that the Vikings choked. All I want is for KEV-O to eat his "CROW" like a man and I will let it go.

NOW.........KEV-O......SAY THE WORDS!!/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

O yeah an you were no were to be found for like a day after yall talked trash all week about how MLC was going to get the sweep......way to be a man cap /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Go back an look at the page B4 this one you will see everything you are looking for

O yeah an you were no were to be found for like a day after yall talked trash all week about how MLC was going to get the sweep......way to be a man cap /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Go back an look at the page B4 this one you will see everything you are looking for

Nope...that's not it. Just in case you have forgotten, the words are..."Mr. Curt Philips is the man"!!! I'm sure after tonight you should be able to say those words with conviction!

I was at another game and couldn't get reception inside the gym so I occasionally went outside to check the score and every time I did it seemed I heard these words. "Curt Philips to the 40...35...30...25...20...15...10...5...TOUCHDOWN CURT PHILIPS"!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Nope...that's not it. Just in case you have forgotten, the words are..."Mr. Curt Philips is the man"!!! I'm sure after tonight you should be able to say those words with conviction!

I was at another game and couldn't get reception inside the gym so I occasionally went outside to check the score and every time I did it seemed I heard these words. "Curt Philips to the 40...35...30...25...20...15...10...5...TOUCHDOWN CURT PHILIPS"!!! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I never said he could not run. I said he could run better then he can throw.

Goliath hadn't beaten down 58 David's in a row either.

You know panther, I have come to the conclusion that comp and the majority of the other posters on here were actually correct about you. Your more about degrading and demeaning than you are about civil talk, especially after reading your post on the Maryville v. Red Bank thread. Congrats Rebels. Outstanding victory tonight. You have nothing to prove to anyone, just go out and play your game!

Formerblazer don't make me pull the DID NOT MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS ATTALL card on you ol buddy!! I already took mine and admitted that the Vikings choked. All I want is for KEV-O to eat his "CROW" like a man and I will let it go.NOW.........KEV-O......SAY THE WORDS!!/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Yea but come on dude, they made it to the third round, only 8 teams can do that. Don't say they wished they got out the first round because they got to represent our teams in this area to the best of their ability. And I don't think he has too much crow to eat(well I haven't read the whole thread) since his team did beat South once.Well we can all sit around and argue about all this next year. I guess that's the good thing about football in this area.

Goliath hadn't beaten down 58 David's in a row either.

And the last David came from upper East TN. Quit stirring the pot dude.

BY BRIAN T. SMITH

BRISTOL HERALD COURIER

KINGSPORT – “Curt! Curt! Curt! Curt!” came the chant, from a deep sea of game-worn blue, red and white jerseys.

It was Curt Phillips Night on Friday evening at Death Valley.

Actually, it wasn’t. But it sure could have been.

Phillips was as dominant as dominant can be, racking up 264 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 28 carries, and completing 12-of-20 passes for 142 yards and two scores.

The Rebels compiled 441 yards of total offense, and Phillips had a direct hand in 406 of them.

Add it all up, and Phillips’ inspired outing led Sullivan South to an impressive 41-14 win over Greeneville in a Division I Class 4A state quarterfinal playoff game.

The Rebels (12-1) now head to Maryville to take on the Rebels (13-0) at 7 p.m. next Friday in the state semifinals.

It’s the first time since 1993 South has advanced to the state semifinals.

“Curt, he’s a pretty good player isn’t he?” said South coach Stacy Carter afterwards, indulging in the ultimate rhetorical. “He had a great night.”

Phillips had touchdown runs of 5, 65 and 32 yards, and the Greene Devils (10-3) looked helpless every time he touched the ball.

“This is huge,” Phillips said beaming. “Everybody’s been working so hard. We haven’t been this far since ’93, and it’s been our goal since week one to go. I mean, it’s awesome.”

But as well as Phillips played, he wasn’t alone.

South’s defense – led by sophomore linebacker Clint Phillips, senior linebackers Chris Collins and Derrick Fisher and senior defensive lineman George Harless – shut down a Greeneville offense that ran rampant in the first half.

The Greene Devils alternated Trevon Hall (15 rushes, 102 yards) and Jeremy Barner (16 rushes, 88 yards) early, and the Hall-Barner attack allowed Greeneville to take a wave of momentum and a 14-14 tie into the break.

Then Rebels made adjustments.

“We had to,” Clint Phillips said. “Early on, our linebackers were getting doubled. We changed it, and that really helped us cut down on their cutbacks. It helped a lot.”

And while South shut the Greene Devils down in the second half, the Rebels’ offense poured it on.

Curt Phillips connected with senior fullback Brad Shanks on a screen pass, and Shanks ran 15 yards untouched into the end zone to give the Rebels a 27-14 lead with 9 minutes, 55 seconds left in the third quarter.

Phillips then hit senior wide receiver Seth Johnson (eight catches, 78 yards) for an 18-yard touchdown on South’s next drive, putting the Rebels up 34-14.

“I think it says something great about our football team,” Carter said. “These boys have worked really hard. It was a total team effort, and they started working towards this a long time ago.

“Hopefully, they can keep on going. This is a heck of an opportunity for our team and this community, and what they’ve done is just outstanding.”

btsmith@bristolnews.com | (276) 645-2569

Greeneville 0 14 0 0–14

Sullivan South 0 14 7 20–41

Scoring Summary

SS—Curt Phillips 5 run (Jordan Willingham kick)

G—Jeremy Barner 6 run (Chad Castainca kick)

SS—Phillips 65 run (Willingham kick)

G—Barner 13 run (Castainca kick)

SS—Taylor Fletcher 9 run (Willingham kick)

SS—Brad Shanks 15 pass from Phillips (Willingham kick)

SS—Seth Johnson 18 pass from Phillips (kick failed)

SS—Phillips 32 run (Willingham kick)

Team Stats

First Downs: G 16, SS 19; Rushes-Yards: G 43-202, SS 38-299; Passing Yards: G 46, SS 142; Comp-Att-Int: G 7-18-0, SS 12-20-1; Fumbles-Lost: G 1-0, SS 0-0; Penalties-Yards G 3-31, SS 3-25; Punts-Average G 5-30, SS 1-51.