Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

I am looking forward to this match-up friday night. I have never seen SS play, but as i follow high school football pretty close this is the match-up i expected. This should be a good game between two fine teams with two of the best QBs in the state. If Maryville plays like they did last night this game will get ugly quick, no team in this state could hang with them last night IMO. Good luck to both teams, hopefuly we have a injury free game and a Maryville victory. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'athlete269' 'Nov 24 2007 - 12:45 AM'

Maryville in a blow out. Even with Curt Phillips, the South Rebels dont stand a chance. They will get out coached and will get out played.

Sorry guys but you know thats how it will go -- look what happened to us in 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, this is not 2004 and second, our team is not you.

No one thought lil' ol' Appy State could beat powerhouse Michigan either, ... no one except the boys from Boone. And they BELIEVED.

WE BELIEVE...............do you? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

'athlete269' 'Nov 24 2007 - 12:45 AM'

Maryville in a blow out. Even with Curt Phillips, the South Rebels dont stand a chance. They will get out coached and will get out played.

Sorry guys but you know thats how it will go -- look what happened to us in 2004.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, this is not 2004 and second, our team is not you.

No one thought lil' ol' Appy State could beat powerhouse Michigan either, ... no one except the boys from Boone. And they BELIEVED.

WE BELIEVE...............do you? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

please note that most if not all of the trash talking about "Maryville in a blowout" is coming from your upper east Tennessee rival schools and not true red rebels fans. I can promise you we are expecting a fight. Hope you have a safe trip & see you next Friday night.

please note that most if not all of the trash talking about "Maryville in a blowout" is coming from your upper east Tennessee rival schools and not true red rebels fans. I can promise you we are expecting a fight. Hope you have a safe trip & see you next Friday night.

Oh, I am well aware of where the trash is coming from... and was only replying to the ones from NET who we would hope are supporting us. Most are, a few aren't. We are definitely looking forward to the "fight" /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />. Thanks for the well wishes, and I, in return, wish a safe game to all your players. Until Friday......

It's been awhile, but these two teams last met back in 1995 in the first round of that year's 4A playoffs with Maryville coming out on top 17-10. I actually went to that game as a high school freshman, but neither team is obviously the same now as back then.

That was before Maryville began its incredible dynasty of winning seven state championships from 1998 to 2006.

For this one, I see a pretty good matchup of quarterbacks - both legitimate Division I prospects - Brent Burnette for Maryville and Curt Phillips for Sullivan South. Before Maryville fans start saying there's no way for Sullivan South to win this game, keep in mind that they did thrash Morristown West a couple of weeks ago - the one team that's beaten Maryville in their last 113 games.

What are your thoughts on this game?

You'll be hard pressed to find a Maryville fan say their opponent has no chance.

S.S.H.S-16

M.H.S-39

Maryville gets 1 step closer to catching Dobyns-Bennett and MBA for the most state titles in Tennessee history.

You'll be hard pressed to find a Maryville fan say their opponent has no chance.

S.S.H.S-16

M.H.S-39

Maryville gets 1 step closer to catching Dobyns-Bennett and MBA for the most state titles in Tennessee history.

Just for the record, D-B has no playoff based state titles. They claim many by various press acclamations prior to 1969.

First off, let me start by saying I am not a maryville football fan. Just to get that out of the way. But now anyways, I have never seen south play, but even if i have, i dont see them winning this one. now dont get me wrong, Im not one of these guys saying "oh they dont have a chance in h***" im just saying for them to win they will have to have the game of their lives and a little bit of luck along with it. The people saying maryville is a machine and can not be stopped are not the maryville fans, but maryville "victims" lol. People dont seem to realize that maryville plays in what many consider to be the toughest region in the state. Maryville goes into games every week against tough teams thinking, better yet, knowing that they are gonna pull off the upset. But maryville still finds a way to win. Saying Maryville is machine is not referring to the program itself, but the players that make it up. All 11 maryville players on the field are animals that will stop at nothing to win, they all know to play assignment football and to play 11 guys flying around to the ball football too. and for any of you guys that think your QB will run all over Maryville, you obviously dont realize who u r playing. If 1 player seperates himself in performance from the rest of his team, you dont have a chance, itll have to be an 11 man struggle.