Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

Oh, just being my typical cautious self. I don't want Maryville players to get over-confident and have a let-down. Morristown West does have a good coach, obviously, and had different players on the two teams that they beat Maryville with in the last 113 games. I wasn't expecting Sullivan South to beat MoWest this year to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I think Maryville will win proved they don't expect an easy win. I honestly believe that the only team that can beat Maryville right now is themselves (which they've almost done twice or so this year.)

Nobody from Maryville is on here talking about this game being easy. We know that it will be a battle and will spend this week trying to prepare for a good team with a great QB. We know that we are in for a battle Friday night at the Black Hole.

Rebel9

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebelron,

We (Mo. West) scrimmaged Alcoa this year and played Sullivan South (as you know). IMHO I would agree that Phillips doesn't have the elusiveness that Cobb has but he is almost as fast, and is MUCH more powerful and harder to tackle. He is (as has been mentioned before) a High School version of Tim Tebow. I think he is probably the best individual offensive player Maryville has played since Jason Whitten. I will be interested to get your take after next Friday.

I still pick Maryville to win, because I think they will outscore Sullivan South.

I will find out if he is the best offensive player since Witten. Maryville has played against some great players since Witten. Brandon Warren,Dustin Lindsey,Gerald Riggs,Graig Cooper,Lee Smith,Cassen Jackson,Calvin Bryant,Marcellus Tibbs,Josh Bullocks,Daniel Bullocks and Randall Cobb.

Nobody from Maryville is on here talking about this game being easy. We know that it will be a battle and will spend this week trying to prepare for a good team with a great QB. We know that we are in for a battle Friday night at the Black Hole.

Rebel9

The last time a team from the northeast brought in a great quarterback was in 1998. Shaun Witten was awesome. If Phillips is better than him Maryville is in trouble.

I know that Volmanscot is going to accuse me of being cody again, but Rebelron will attest that Cody Watts was an unbelievable high school QB and is well on his way to being incredible at EKU. Maryville always found a way to give Cody problems and Watts had a a lot more weapons then Phillips does. Lee Smith is a D1 TE and Brandon Thrower was a D! WR prospect until concussions ended his career early in to his sr year. Not to mention the RB of that team is playing college ball at APSU and seeing time in the defensive back field. These Maryville kids aren't the same kids that stopped Watts, Smith, Thrower, and Courtney, but the coaches are the same and the schemes will be just as good.

The last time a team from the northeast brought in a great quarterback was in 1998. Shaun Witten was awesome. If Phillips is better than him Maryville is in trouble.

I loved the Betsy teams of the late 90's Ron and I respect Shaun tremendously, but he's nowhere near Curt. I'm just not sure we're as good as the Betsy teams of the late 90's. We'll see come Friday. We respect you. But we're coming to win, not watch Maryville play. Like I said in another thread, you might beat us by a lot, but we'll battle and no one on the field will battle any harder than Curt. He's a warrior. Good luck to you guys and let's hope for no injuries.

As for Panthers08, where'd the 08 in your name come from? Are you a senior at Powell? How bout you and I meet at Litton's over in Fountain City and I'll feed you one of those good burgers while we discuss football?

Played for the south team that started this streak of consecutive playoff appearances from 2000-present... at that time coach carter was a secondary and wide receivers coach... with each passing year south has gotten just a little better... Maryville is a giant, powerhouse program with a winning tradition unparalled by any in recent memory in our state... I have much respect and admiration for the maryville program as im sure all of us do here in the south nation... at some point a giant must sleep, leaving a small window of opportunity open... South is more than a one man show, everyone knows about the talents of #10... but he doesnt get very far without the other 10 guys doin some dirty work... South will be huge underdogs, but you know what... all the pressure is on maryville, no one expects south to win... Play loose, play fast, play hard, play together... Streaks are meant to be broken, dominance cannot last forever... Strap it up and go to work boys, rebel nation will be there in blue and gray... Good luck to both sides, may all our boys be safe and injury free

After I read your post sir, I stood up and saluted you! This was a goodn. I hope many of the current Rebel Players read this and take it all in Somebody said that Mairvul puts their pants on the same way as the South Crew Do and that is most correct. I liked your motivation toward the end there. Coming from a Southern Brother, it inspired even me! There's more than Curt on the team but just let all these posters think he's the only one. Just like a little ole junkyard dog, some of them others gonna come up to haunt the Red Rebels. I pray for safety for all the athletes and staff. As my wife says, don't let that baby face of Coach Carter fool you. He comes right from the trenches himself so he's been there and done that.

I'd like to add that as a Rebel supporter, I appreciate all the kind words from Hawkins County, Hampton and all the other well wishers. Makes this old reciever proud to hear it comin to the young fellers. There's some good posters who are knowledgeable but then there's the...............well, never mind.

JDRebel, 83SouthRebel, punkinhaid, itstartshereman, and Mama Rebel, you all have a safe trip down. Me and Mama will be there with bells on. And I like what that poster from Hampton said..........git--er--done!

South will have to find a way to pressure the QB or maryville will hurt them throwing the ball. they are a very good pass blocking team and are very skilled in the passing game, they torched us last week. i havent seen south play so im not bashing them, im just making a comment on what i know from seeing maryville beat our brains in. good luck and im prob travling back up from chattanooga to see this one.

After I read your post sir, I stood up and saluted you! This was a goodn. I hope many of the current Rebel Players read this and take it all in Somebody said that Mairvul puts their pants on the same way as the South Crew Do and that is most correct. I liked your motivation toward the end there. Coming from a Southern Brother, it inspired even me! There's more than Curt on the team but just let all these posters think he's the only one. Just like a little ole junkyard dog, some of them others gonna come up to haunt the Red Rebels. I pray for safety for all the athletes and staff. As my wife says, don't let that baby face of Coach Carter fool you. He comes right from the trenches himself so he's been there and done that.

I'd like to add that as a Rebel supporter, I appreciate all the kind words from Hawkins County, Hampton and all the other well wishers. Makes this old reciever proud to hear it comin to the young fellers. There's some good posters who are knowledgeable but then there's the...............well, never mind.

JDRebel, 83SouthRebel, punkinhaid, itstartshereman, and Mama Rebel, you all have a safe trip down. Me and Mama will be there with bells on. And I like what that poster from Hampton said..........git--er--done!

Gonna be a lonnnnng drive on the old cheese wagon.

yeah cap1 an TN_High07 make all of them look bad. Yeah thay made playoffs.

Excuse me Kev-O. Never have I disrespected you or anyone else without acceptable reason. Whether that be you disrespecting me first or disrespecting the activities that someone does in highschool (pumkinhead) and nor has Cap. But yes it is true that if you talk down to someone who deserves respect then you will receive the blunt side of me and I can and by all means will tell it how it is. You and greeneville#1 start the majority of arguements because i or someone else disagrees with your opinion and we let you know that. There is no intentional degrading on my part although I can not speak for anyone else. So if I make politely ask you to refrain from using my name when talking about THS because I can assure you with no doubt in my mind that I am one of the nicest people you will ever have the privlege to meet. That is all I have to say.

On a differnt note though, I am pulling for South and I hope with everything in me that they play Mairvule...hahahah... the way that everyone knows that they can. Good luck to both teams and I hope it is a clean one. GO SOUTH!!!

I would also like to say goodluck to Hampton!! Make NET proud Boys!!

I know it is the semifinals of the AAAA playoffs but I honestly don't expect this game to be any different than a typical Maryville beatdown of Lenoir City, South Doyle, Clinton, etc. The overall strength of the Knoxville area teams in AAAA is much stronger than the AAAA teams in upper East Tennessee. Maryville makes mincemeat of the Knoxville area teams on a regular basis so if you do the math, you know what is coming next Friday night, especially since Maryville appears to be playing better now than they have all season long.

If this was last year you would be right in your analysis, except you and others are apparently forgetting that Maryville has had some vunerability this year. Some of their games were close, like the 1 point win against Wiliam Blount on a bad ref call, and fairly close games against 4A rivals Halls and West in their division. The line on Maryville at the beginning of the season is they lost alot of key Seniors from last year and they could be beat. Good coaching and player development, along with some good luck, has given them an undefeated season so far. I do believe they can be beat, however.