Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

First of all you are right Maryville does have some vunerabilities this season more so than in the past. You are forgetting one thing though you dont just roll into The Ville on a Friday in November and win. It just doesnt happen, I think the last time Maryville lost a HOME playoff game was 1999 againist Central. I wish South all the best but on Friday you are walking into uncharted territory folks, its a different breed of monster that lives in the Skeeter come playoff time. Welcome the Black Hole

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me Kev-O. Never have I disrespected you or anyone else without acceptable reason. Whether that be you disrespecting me first or disrespecting the activities that someone does in highschool (pumkinhead) and nor has Cap. But yes it is true that if you talk down to someone who deserves respect then you will receive the blunt side of me and I can and by all means will tell it how it is. You and greeneville#1 start the majority of arguements because i or someone else disagrees with your opinion and we let you know that. There is no intentional degrading on my part although I can not speak for anyone else. So if I make politely ask you to refrain from using my name when talking about THS because I can assure you with no doubt in my mind that I am one of the nicest people you will ever have the privlege to meet. That is all I have to say.

On a differnt note though, I am pulling for South and I hope with everything in me that they play Mairvule...hahahah... the way that everyone knows that they can. Good luck to both teams and I hope it is a clean one. GO SOUTH!!!

I would also like to say goodluck to Hampton!! Make NET proud Boys!!

you may be the nicest pearson on here but you an cap did make TN High look like a bunch of A holes. so i stand by my words.

If this was last year you would be right in your analysis, except you and others are apparently forgetting that Maryville has had some vunerability this year. Some of their games were close, like the 1 point win against Wiliam Blount on a bad ref call, and fairly close games against 4A rivals Halls and West in their division. The line on Maryville at the beginning of the season is they lost alot of key Seniors from last year and they could be beat. Good coaching and player development, along with some good luck, has given them an undefeated season so far. I do believe they can be beat, however.

WB,Halls and West are darn good teams. Ask Bearden how good West is? Bearden beat West 17-14. About that bad call. Everyone makes a big deal about the extra point William Blount missed but Maryville got ripped off on a touchdown. On Maryville's 1st drive in the WB game they kicked a field goal. But! On the play before Tyler Clendenen caught a pass where he was ruled out of bounds. I watched the playback and you can see clearly that Cendenen was inbounds. Enough about that though.

Maryville struggled earlier this year running the football. Tim Rodrigues and Thomas Shuler have stepped up their game. Another reason the running game has gotten better is Caleb West is back from an injury. West is only 6'2 210lbs but he is a very good offensive lineman. West is really good on screen passes at blocking those defensive backs. The other offensive linemen have improved big time. Now that the running game has stepped up that will make the passing game that much more lethal.

Maryville had almost all their defensive linemen and secondary coming back this year. Linebacker was a big concern this year. Cody McCoy,Luke Cox,Jefrey Booker and Jordan Halsne have stepped up big time.

First of all you are right Maryville does have some vunerabilities this season more so than in the past. You are forgetting one thing though you dont just roll into The Ville on a Friday in November and win. It just doesnt happen, I think the last time Maryville lost a HOME playoff game was 1999 againist Central. I wish South all the best but on Friday you are walking into uncharted territory folks, its a different breed of monster that lives in the Skeeter come playoff time. Welcome the Black Hole

I'm not saying South can come in here and just roll on M. I just think, living here in the Knoxville area and seeing enough games of teams in this area, they the caliber of the teams is a little down this year, and that this could be the year for an outside team like South to pull an upset.

The key for South is not to get too excited and lose their head, which can result in bad plays and turnovers. If they play within their game and treat it like just another (important) game, they have a shot.

I remember the last time Maryville faced a team from Northeast Tennessee with a great quarterback. In 1998 a loaded Maryville team struggled to beat Elizabethon because they had a great quarterback(Shawn Witten) who could throw and run. From what I hear Curt Phillips is amazing. Sullivan South has all of my respect. I expect a tough game next week.

I think that was the best game I've ever seen at MHS....wow, I still get chills thinking about that run up the sideline.

Just out of curiosity; Is Maryvilles QB a senior? If so, is he being recruited? By who? What combines did he attend? Was he separated with the "elite" bunch? Any offers? Who? Committed to anyone?

Also, are there other seniors on the team who are being recruited? What possitions and by who?

Not that any of this makes a difference as I said, asking only because so much is being said about talent level at Maryville so one would conclude that this talent has been seen by folks at the next level.

Wow! I've just spent my whole morning reading this thread to get caught up. Let me just put out some thoughts that I've had as I read through these last ten pages:

1. I can't believe we're playing Sullivan South. I've never seen one of the Sullivan schools in person, but I have heard many references to them throughout the years. Not trying to be a jerk here, but most of those references go something like this: "Oh, they've not played anyone all year....just got a bunch of 'the sullivans' on their schedule."

2. We've heard a lot of hype from that part of the state before. Hindsight is 20/20, but coming into the TN High game a few years ago, all we were hearing about was all of their D1 talent and how we'd not seen anyone like them all year.

3. This group of Maryville seniors has NEVER lost a game. That's amazing.

4. All of the Sully fans are talking about Phillips for 8 pages and then they try to say that he's not the whole show. Well I'm guessing that he's the biggest part of it, and I would reference Rebel Ron in saying that I bet we've seen as good or better and sent him home with an L and a blemish on his season averages... (i.e. Gerald Riggs, Brandon Warren, etc.)

Just some thoughts. I'll get into the numbers later to see if they support my gut. But my gut is telling me that this could be the year that Sully experiences what I call the "next level phenomenon." It happened to Maryville at the hands of Pearl Cohn in 1997. After that, our boys learned what it took to be a champion. We honestly didn't know what we were getting into before that and we got run over. Afterwards, we rebounded, practiced harder, played harder and cared more. We then became next level. Since then, we've seen a number of teams who have had great seasons and then who got steamrolled by the "next level Rebels." Those teams can go one of two directions: they either fall back into obscurity or they come back the next year even hungrier. Most teams unfortunately really only have the talent to make one serious run at it...(Alcoa, Tenn High, Red Bank, etc.). Other teams have forced us to raise our level of play (Motown West, Central, Hillsboro, etc.). The one thing that most have in common is that they didn't really know what they were getting into prior to the game. How could they? They hadn't seen that next level yet.

STARSNBARS - Sullyvun South vs. Mairvul brakedown...... includin' eatin and sleepin' spots.....

Eye expect a good tuff gaim out of South. Eye'm lookin' forwurd two seein' Phillips play... haiv hurd good thangs about him. Jest don't beet us two bad.

Rest 'ert reeview:

Mexicun - Lost Ameegoes (Los Amigos), El Jimmydoors (El Jimador), Cancoon (Cancun)

Cheep Chow - Dubbs

Coffee - High Doller- Starbucks, Cheep coffee - Tha Frog

High Doller Food - Foothills Millin' Cumpney and Sullyvun's Downtown (can't afford two eat thair, but haiv carried out sum purty good grossries in thair garbige)

Ragular Food - Aubrey's, Rooby Toosedee, Oh Charlees, Chilli's, TGI Fridee's, Crackher Barrull, Showknees

Pete's Uh - Uno's, Fox's, Dominoes, Pappy John's, Bell Aroma

Sammiches - Quiz Nose, Subway, (note: Dubb's has good fried baloanee sammiches)

Bar-B-Q - Boomers, Buddies

Motel accomodashuns:

Cheep motel - Shamrock, Executive Lodge (brang your own sheets, bleech, and bug spray)

High Doller motel - Airport Heelton

High Doller Inn - Blackburry and Momma STARS favorite, The Dancin' Bare

Hope this heps you fellers out.

Personal note:

I have a little cousin from up there who due to illness, is unable to play football this year. Morgan Edwards is a member of the Sullivan South football team. Morgan has been through a lot this year. I spoke with him yesterday and he has some surgery scheduled this week at the Cleveland Clinic and will be unable to attend the game Friday. He had really wanted to come to the game, but this surgery had been scheduled for sometime in advance.

I asked Morgan what he wanted me to pray for this week and he said, "That the Good Lord will guide the hands of my surgeons and I will have a good recovery and may all the players in the Sullivan South-Maryville game play to the best of their abilities and be injury free." So that is my prayer too..........

I believe this Sullivan South team is a special team (MoWest fan). You do not average 42 points per game and allow 14 points per game without being a special team. However, West was that team the last two years. We did not have a talent like Curt Phillips and he could be the equalizer, but I do not see Maryville losing this game. I am wishing for the best for South and hoping they can pull out the win, but it is hard to describe the level of play of the Maryville teams.

Historically, Maryville has a few extremely great players on their teams yearly and many extremely good players, but all of these teams have one common thread: George Quarles. I am not going to say he is a king (just cannot bring myself to do that with any coach), but he is a motivated and extremely good coach. He has his team ready game after game after game and no one in the state can argue with his success. This year Maryville has averaged 34.8 points per game and allowed 12.7 points per game. This is a down year for Maryville?!? I am sorry, but how many other teams would like to have this type of year and proclaim it a great year. The seniors of this team have not lost a varsity game (perhaps not a freshman game either, but I do not know about that). The experience they have in the big games cannot be matched by any other team in Tennessee.

I have had the privilege of seeing Maryville play in the past against two undefeated MoWest teams. We were extremely talented. We were heads and shoulders above every team we played in Region 1 or Region 2, but we were no match for Maryville. Does that mean South cannot win? NO, and that is the reason the game is played. I am hoping that Curt will have the game of his life and show the Knoxville area that good football can be played in NET. I am hoping that when the dust settles and the clocks ticks to zero that South will be headed to State. That is not because I have anything against Maryville, but it would be nice for a NET team to get a win and get back to state.

However, based on the experiences that we have had, Maryville will have a game plan to stop South (not just Curt - that is not how they play). They will have a game plan to exploit South's weaknesses (something no other NET team has done -- and I do not care about the Greeneville loss -- that was an aberration and served to wake South up and put them at a higher level), but that higher level may not be high enough. I hope it is, but Maryville is...well, Maryville.

I will say this, if (and only if) South can get a lead (14 or 21 points) Maryville will lose. South is a good enough team to beat Maryville if Maryville is playing catch up, but I do not see Maryville allowing that to happen. Quarles will at least exchange TD's and find the win if he cannot blow South away.

But again, this is only speculation and observations. The game will be played and the deserving team will win. Good luck South!! Play your best and make it to the next level!

On a side note, the Maryville setting for a football game is great! You South fans will enjoy the atmosphere and the game. The Maryville fans that we have been around were alway gracious and respectful. Hopefully, the stands and the hill will be full so that you can experience all the emotions that come with playing Maryville. Again, Good luck and know that no matter how the game turns out you have done more than many other Tennessee football teams.

STARSNBARS - Sullyvun South vs. Mairvul brakedown...... includin' eatin and sleepin' spots.....

Eye expect a good tuff gaim out of South. Eye'm lookin' forwurd two seein' Phillips play... haiv hurd good thangs about him. Jest don't beet us two bad.

Rest 'ert reeview:

Mexicun - Lost Ameegoes (Los Amigos), El Jimmydoors (El Jimador), Cancoon (Cancun)

Cheep Chow - Dubbs

Coffee - High Doller- Starbucks, Cheep coffee - Tha Frog

High Doller Food - Foothills Millin' Cumpney and Sullyvun's Downtown (can't afford two eat thair, but haiv carried out sum purty good grossries in thair garbige)

Ragular Food - Aubrey's, Rooby Toosedee, Oh Charlees, Chilli's, TGI Fridee's, Crackher Barrull, Showknees

Pete's Uh - Uno's, Fox's, Dominoes, Pappy John's, Bell Aroma

Sammiches - Quiz Nose, Subway, (note: Dubb's has good fried baloanee sammiches)

Bar-B-Q - Boomers, Buddies

Motel accomodashuns:

Cheep motel - Shamrock, Executive Lodge (brang your own sheets, bleech, and bug spray)

High Doller motel - Airport Heelton

High Doller Inn - Blackburry and Momma STARS favorite, The Dancin' Bare

Hope this heps you fellers out.

Personal note:

I have a little cousin from up there who due to illness, is unable to play football this year. Morgan Edwards is a member of the Sullivan South football team. Morgan has been through a lot this year. I spoke with him yesterday and he has some surgery scheduled this week at the Cleveland Clinic and will be unable to attend the game Friday. He had really wanted to come to the game, but this surgery had been scheduled for sometime in advance.

I asked Morgan what he wanted me to pray for this week and he said, "That the Good Lord will guide the hands of my surgeons and I will have a good recovery and may all the players in the Sullivan South-Maryville game play to the best of their abilities and be injury free." So that is my prayer too..........

Lord have mercy you are the most entertaining poster on this thread. I am still laughin but I'll tell you one thing, the personal note brought a whole bunch of goose bumps on my old wore down body. I've heard about the great leadership qualities of young Mr. Morgan Edwards. He can sure far up a crowd and gets the players playin their best too. I appreciate your thoughtful inclusion of that personal information. I hope everyone prays for Morgan and for safe play on both sides. When push comes to shove, football is preparin these young men for the battles of life. Some of their battles will be most difficult and they will remember when they gave their all for their school, coach, and community, and as 2000Rebel81 said, they'll notch up their bootstraps and tackle the task at hand. God bless you sir for your friendly nature and humble posts.

Just found this on tricitiessports.com and thought it most appropriate.

ONE SOUTH SENIOR WON'T MAKE TRIP TO MARYVILLE

Morgan Edwards, who has missed all of his senior season due to an illness that was first diagnosed just after the 2006 season, participated in his final game last Friday.

While Edwards can't play, he was still elected as a team captain and has led the Rebels on the field just before every game this season.

Edwards is scheduled for a planned surgery on Thursday that could be the last step of his long recovery process.

"My teammates have meant everything and done everything for me this year," said Edwards. "They voted me as a team captain, Chris [Collins] wore my jeresey [#30 in final regular season home game] and they won another conference championship. I just want one more thing - a state championship ring."