Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not up in arms about the people that are pounding us with the Maryville domination attitude. I mean what do you expect from a community with a win streak of such magnitude? I think they are being rather gracious under the circumstances. Imagine if we were in that situation. We would be hammering away. They have been in their position long enough that the braggart mentality has matured into quiet confidence. Something we should take note of. I think the most unique part of all this is how they go about getting mentally prepared each and every week all over again. Never making light of any opponent. Not making light of us. Actually showing respect for the "Offense Inc." We have difficulty getting ready 2 weeks in a row much less 58. I will say that our Rebels have a nack for getting "super pumped" for the right situation. THS '06, SHHS '07 come to mind.

I think Stacy and GQ have similar philosophies in regard to training troops minds. Form is a prerequisite to function. Humility is a precursor to repentence. It is evident GQ built a foundation on stone at Maryville. "One step at a time." That is what Stacy told me 3 years ago. I don't agree with everything he does. I imagine he doesn't think I am perfect either. But I have faith in him this week. I think our chances are better than anyones previous to us. My son is not talking much this week. I'll take that as a good sign.

The last time I saw Maryville play was 2006 at home against Alcoa. A rather close contest until Tyler Maples ran wild in the secondary. I have seen South on multiple occasions and I am continually impressed with the poise and grittiness of Phillips. He takes each snap like it is his last. I have seen Maryville beat Memphis Melrose on a couple of occasions on the turf @ MTSU, enough so to know that Maryville will play a polished game. Mental mistakes will be avoided, but how can anyone predict which way the turnover battle will go? If South wins the turnovers I think they stay in the game because of it, but I have seen Maryville play to many games to predict they'll give the ball up. I think this one will remain close. I don't really think South has put together its two best halfs yet. I hope South plays to their potential in this one, I'm hoping for a nail biter.

I've never had the pleasure of seeing Phillips play live but from what i read and hear he is for real. I had an exchange of posts early this season with someone fromup there about a young reciever named Kitzmiller what can you tell me about him?

I've never had the pleasure of seeing Phillips play live but from what i read and hear he is for real. I had an exchange of posts early this season with someone fromup there about a young reciever named Kitzmiller what can you tell me about him?

IMO, Phillips is like a high school version of Tim Tebow. Great kid, double threat, outstanding athlete. Kitzmiller has hands like magnets. Fast as lightening too. Nickname is KK but I think it should be THE KK.

I think thats a really good point comp. I only lettered three years in high school football. I played in 35 varsity football games at Powell, and I certainly don't remember details of every one of them. I can't even begin to imagine how you win 58 straight football games. I mean how do you get your guys fired up to go out there every week and play at the level they have played at for that many games in a row without laying an egg? It's truly a testament to the work ethic of those kids. Not that every team doesn't work hard, but wow. It's just like to those kids over there losing isn't an option.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to PREPARE to win that matters." - Paul W. Bryant

Excellent, Sn'B

The Contemporaries Lombardi and Bryant were great motivators as were most recently Ditka & Holtz. Football is like no other.

"The ones who want to achieve and win championships motivate themselves."

Mike Ditka

South fans, I was just at the school to pick up our tickets. The South allotment of 500 tickets is almost gone. If you are planning to pick some up, better get to the school early tomorrow morning. Of course, you will be able to buy tickets in Maryville Friday night. Looks like the South Rebel supporters are planning to show up in full force!

GO BIG BLUE!!

Yeah, I've heard that before. I wouldn't compare ripping through the 2A MLC in '04 as being able to beat DB /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> In '05 DB was a step down from '04 as I'm assuming was the case with THS yet we remember what happened in the '05 game...should I think that the '04 game would have been different? After all the hype I heard building up to the '06 DB/South game I have come to understand never to believe all the talk. I have also come to see how that when a team doesn't schedule DB...that was the year they would have won (THS in '04, South in '07). The way to beat DB...don't play 'em and claim you could have /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> DB's season ended in '04 the same as THS with an L (only DB didn't lose by 49). THS beat an 8-4 Betsy team in round 3 while DB was beaten in the same round by an 11-1 Oak Ridge (who DB had beaten earlier). But you just keep beating Volunteer in the 1st round and brag about it mmmk?

Myth: DB 1 and done, THS playoff beasts

Fact: Since 1997 (10 years) DB is 17-11 with 6 qtr finals in 5A, 3 semis. THS is 10-9 with 2 qtrs and 1 semi

That aint Maryville #s but its better than anything in NET /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Two questions maroon, who in the MLC in '04 was at 2A numbers and which South fan said South would have beaten D-B this year?

I've seen both play, but no one seems to listen to my opinions because I think very highly of Maryville and not so highly of any team from North East Tennssee. Anywho, The Kitzmiller kid seems to be one of Curt's two favorite targets. He like to go to the Martin kid a lot too. Neither one will take you're breath away with athleticism. Both are decent athletes though, and I didn't see a single dropped ball in the game against Mo West. Maryville's secondary should be up to the task at hand though, Shiver is a stud back there at safety and the kids at Corner don't look like much but they got the job done against Red Bank. Plus I think the D line for Maryville will be able to get pressure on Curt and they are disciplined enough to limit his escapability although Curt is gonna make some plays by extending the play more then likely.

As for Douglas, I hope he's back to pretty close to 100% come game time. He's a pretty big part of that polished passing game. And as for South struggling with the backs and TE's, that could be bad news .I believe both Maryville's backs had big catches out of the back field last week and Douglas is a stud at TE and because of his athletic ability they use him at wideout as well.

And all of us slow, weak, untalented, undisciplined hillbillies dont think very highly of you or the magazine columns you write. And the 1 point that I finally agree with you on is "No one listens to you anyway"

I'm not up in arms about the people that are pounding us with the Maryville domination attitude. I mean what do you expect from a community with a win streak of such magnitude? I think they are being rather gracious under the circumstances. Imagine if we were in that situation. We would be hammering away. They have been in their position long enough that the braggart mentality has matured into quiet confidence. Something we should take note of. I think the most unique part of all this is how they go about getting mentally prepared each and every week all over again. Never making light of any opponent. Not making light of us. Actually showing respect for the "Offense Inc." We have difficulty getting ready 2 weeks in a row much less 58. I will say that our Rebels have a nack for getting "super pumped" for the right situation. THS '06, SHHS '07 come to mind.

I think Stacy and GQ have similar philosophies in regard to training troops minds. Form is a prerequisite to function. Humility is a precursor to repentence. It is evident GQ built a foundation on stone at Maryville. "One step at a time." That is what Stacy told me 3 years ago. I don't agree with everything he does. I imagine he doesn't think I am perfect either. But I have faith in him this week. I think our chances are better than anyones previous to us. My son is not talking much this week. I'll take that as a good sign.

That was a great post. I am too amazed at how Maryville doesn't overlook anyone. I also know this. Maryville is on an amazing winning streak right now. A lot of it is because Maryville has had some great teams. Another thing is a little luck doesn't hurt. Here are some fortunate things that have happened to Maryville. In 2002 Maryville beats Central 28-24. Zach Helton was running for what looked like a sure 1st down but a Maryville player grabbed Helton's towel that was hanging from his pants and held on for dear life. Maryville held on 4th down. In the state title game against Hillsboro Maryville was in danger of being run out of the stadium. Hillsboro dominated for 3 quarters. But! Hillsboro got tired from having so many players go both ways. Maryville ran 2 trick plays and recovered an onside kick. In 2003 both Maryville/Central games could have went either way. Maryville won both games. In 2004 Powell and Central had Maryville on the ropes. In the Central playoff game Maryville ran a trick play to get in scoring position. Maryville scored with less than a minute to go to beat Central. Maryville beat Melrose 7-6 in the title game. Melrose dropped 2 interceptions that would have been touchdowns. In 2005 Maryville slipped by Central 17-14. In 2006 Maryville beat Alcoa 17-14. With a few minutes to go it was 3rd and 5 from Maryville's 40. Maryville up 17-14. Alcoa jumps offsides to give Maryville an automatic 1st down. Maryville then runs out the clock. Maryville slipped by Brainerd to win 30-26. In 2007 Maryville beats William Blount 20-19. William Blount drops 2 interceptions that could have been touchdowns. William Blount also misses a couple of extra points that game. 2 weeks ago against West, West throws an interception but they had their tight end wide open. Had the quarterback thrown the ball to him who knows how that game would have went. Maryville has had several close calls.