Big 9 Conference

Floor_General22

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From watching Greenville on Monday when they came to Central, I say that our top 3, maybe 4 teams could compete with them. They have a fast offense, but not so much size. If you take it down low you should be able to pull out a victory, Central was rushing their offense the opening period and did not get into the groove until after Greenville made a cushion for themselves.

Wow, I wish Central or heck, any crowd could get that big judging that picture from hightop. I noticed that picture is of one from Centrals dome and to think that people would have to watch it from the rails, well i thought it was cool when we filled one section up, haha.

I remember in 1987 when Gate City (Tommy Music & Kevin Morris) came to the Van Huss Dome. We had to be at all home games by 6pm. My Senior year, Gate City was our Senior night and when we arrived the parking lot was full and the Dome about sold out at 6pm. 75% was from Gate City, our student section was full, and there was a packed crowd where you come in the front opening into the dome (with all the doors). Until that Cougar picture, I have never seen anything like it before, not even the SubState game in 1994? with Mills, Carnes, Henry, and company...... Students today don't realize how much a team or player gets pumped up when their peers are cheering for them. Example......last night at East saw them get up by 11 in the fourth quarter. The student section sat down with 3 minutes to go in the game until we made a huge run and closed to three points with 8 seconds and the ball. They then got up for the last play.......back in the day, there was no sitting down unless it was a blow out and the game was well in hand. Their student section was good, but I just noticed them at the end and thought about other student sections..... three days to "Wildcard Saturday." GOD BLESS!!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Watchdog, hightop, WaCo, Stokomo,

Great point with the umbrellas, Watchdog, that was great stuff...and I do know that the D-B vs. Louisville Male game (with Coach Wade Houston, yes that Wade Houston, and Darrell Griffith and Bobby Turner, who both went to U of Louisville and won a national title for Denny Crum) was televised; as Mike Tate and I (as D-B seniors) provided the on-air commentary for the game...and it was a packed house with over 6500 in attendance and sitting around the rails like the picture "hightop" showed of the Central vs. D-B game...and yes hightop, I am old enough to remember that game, I was in junior high, but home listening to Doug Newton on WKPT radio make the call of Dan Moody's shot...and "WaCo" the D-B vs. Riverdale was an unbelievable spectacle with all the pregame dunks that were illegal and brought about technical fouls for each...but Coach Van Huss told the refs not to shoot the 21 T's called, I think Skip (Brown) only shot 4, and thus D-B was up 4-0 before the game even started (could have been 21)...the amazing jumping ability of Anthony Roberts and his one handed floating jumper that rose above everyone will not be forgotten (he went on to Oral Roberts U and and NBA career); then with the Male game the leaping ability of Dr. Dunkenstein (Griffith) was truly amazing...Male came to the Dome as the #1 team in the country...Mark Elliott held Griffith to 8 points and after three quarters D-B led by 7...but D-B tried to stall in the 4th quarter and Bobby Turner ended with 24 points and Male left with a 9 point victory...but the place was packed...that Male game was on TV during the D-B Christmas Classic during the 1975-1976 season...in the Christmas Classic the year before, two of the best ever from SW VA came to the Dome - Steve Marsee and Barry Hamler...great games great crowds...(Mark Elliott is Marshall Hardy's uncle...Coach Steve Shipley's bunch beat present NBA player Eric Dampier and his team from Mississippi during the old Eastman/Kiwanis Classic in front of a packed house at the Dome, with 6'3 JaMichael Mills dominating Dampier (6"11) in the paint... there have been great games in all the area gyms and there have been some great crowds...there will be more great games, I wish the crowds would match them...

Roll Tribe Roll

No offense to anyone either.. but shouldn't CAP1 be automaticly selected Mo-Ron of the day anytime he posts? I mean there is nothing that comes from this guy that is credible so therefore IMO all his posts are Mo-Ronic to say the least.

Two words Falcondad??¦ANGER MANAGEMENT. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

How come the teams that are so successful in JV are not good in Varsity? The JV finals are Boone and South. Boone beat Volunteer by 25 or so and South beat East by 15-20. Boone has played everybody tough and blown out some of the better teams that are successful in varsity. South has done great since they brought down some of the older guys that are not getting varsity time. Just wondering what makes the difference and why DB and Science Hill do not compete as well in JV. This seems unusual. I know the better players at these are playing Varsity but why the big downfall in JV. Why does the JV players at Boone and South not get playing time on varsity when they play so well in JV. Especially the players at Boone. Some of them can shoot lights out from the three point line.

Watchdog, hightop, WaCo, Stokomo,

Great point with the umbrellas, Watchdog, that was great stuff...and I do know that the D-B vs. Louisville Male game (with Coach Wade Houston, yes that Wade Houston, and Darrell Griffith and Bobby Turner, who both went to U of Louisville and won a national title for Denny Crum) was televised; as Mike Tate and I (as D-B seniors) provided the on-air commentary for the game...and it was a packed house with over 6500 in attendance and sitting around the rails like the picture "hightop" showed of the Central vs. D-B game...and yes hightop, I am old enough to remember that game, I was in junior high, but home listening to Doug Newton on WKPT radio make the call of Dan Moody's shot...and "WaCo" the D-B vs. Riverdale was an unbelievable spectacle with all the pregame dunks that were illegal and brought about technical fouls for each...but Coach Van Huss told the refs not to shoot the 21 T's called, I think Skip (Brown) only shot 4, and thus D-B was up 4-0 before the game even started (could have been 21)...the amazing jumping ability of Anthony Roberts and his one handed floating jumper that rose above everyone will not be forgotten (he went on to Oral Roberts U and and NBA career); then with the Male game the leaping ability of Dr. Dunkenstein (Griffith) was truly amazing...Male came to the Dome as the #1 team in the country...Mark Elliott held Griffith to 8 points and after three quarters D-B led by 7...but D-B tried to stall in the 4th quarter and Bobby Turner ended with 24 points and Male left with a 9 point victory...but the place was packed...that Male game was on TV during the D-B Christmas Classic during the 1975-1976 season...in the Christmas Classic the year before, two of the best ever from SW VA came to the Dome - Steve Marsee and Barry Hamler...great games great crowds...(Mark Elliott is Marshall Hardy's uncle...Coach Steve Shipley's bunch beat present NBA player Eric Dampier and his team from Mississippi during the old Eastman/Kiwanis Classic in front of a packed house at the Dome, with 6'3 JaMichael Mills dominating Dampier (6"11) in the paint... there have been great games in all the area gyms and there have been some great crowds...there will be more great games, I wish the crowds would match them...

Roll Tribe Roll

Very Good. You could have left out the "stall" part! BAD MEMORIES! Buck's "stall" cost DB another big game in Knoxville. Fans forget DB had the original Christmas tournament before Arbys. Howard was the other visiting team with Riverside. Who was our other local team? Dont forget outhouse on top of the Dome. ( I think that caused the leaks?)

DB's Freshman Team ran through the Regular Season with 1 Conference loss and the ran away with the Conference Tournament Title. Beating a good bunch of Hilltoppers, 89-54 in the finals. DB played 4 Frosh on the JV team, the rest Soph.'s. Only 1 player on the DB JV dressed out all season (he is a Soph) on the Varsity team. Other Teams (excluding DB & Science Hill) in the league play Varsity players up and down their JV Lineup..... that's why.

DB's Varisty runs the table tonight, ending 16-0 in Conference. That means only 1 thing... the #1 seed in the District Tournament, period. Nothing has been done yet. Charlie Morgan knows that and he will make sure his team understands that as well.

Roll Tribe Roll

Congrats to DB, Science Hill, and East for the top three seeds with DB running the table. The District 1 tourney shapes up like this..........

Saturday 2/9/8 @ 7:30pm

Sullivan South (8) vs David Crockett (9)

Wednesday 2/13/8 @ 6pm

DB (1) vs Winner of South/Crockett

Wednesday 2/13/8 @ 7:30pm

Tennessee High (4) vs Sullivan Central (5)

Thursday 2/14/8 @ 6:00pm

Sullivan East (3) vs Volunteer (6)

Thursday 2/14/8 @ 7:30pm

Science Hill (2) vs Daniel Boone (7)

Saturday 2/16/8 @ 6:00pm

DB/South or Crockett Winner vs TN High/Central Winner

Saturday 2/16/8 7:30pm

East/Volunteer Winner vs Hilltopper/Boone Winner

Tuesday 2/19/8 6:00pm

3rd Place game

Tuesday 2/19/8 7:30

District 1 Championship Game

Good Luck to all and GOD Bless!!!!

Very Good. You could have left out the "stall" part! BAD MEMORIES! Buck's "stall" cost DB another big game in Knoxville. Fans forget DB had the original Christmas tournament before Arbys. Howard was the other visiting team with Riverside. Who was our other local team? Dont forget outhouse on top of the Dome. ( I think that caused the leaks?)

Watchdog,

It was Chattanooga Howard (Reggie White's high school) who came with Riverside and it was Sullivan Central that was the other "host" school for the D-B Christmas tournament...

Congratulations to the 2007-2008 D-B Indians on their Big 9 Championship...

Roll Tribe Roll

Well??¦the chips have fallen, and for me they didn??™t fall far from expectation. Biggest surprise has to be East finishing at a strong third behind expected front runners DB and The Hill. Biggest disappointment has to be Volunteer starting strong but crawling toward the finish line. Top player of the year is anybodies guess. I could probably name at least five players that would easily be deserving. Coach of the year? It would be heard not to give the honor to Coach Morgan this year (especially after he had to share it with Cutlip two years ago), but Coach Dyer HAS to be considered with he and his Patriots not backing down from NOBODY this season.

Any thoughts on who will make the All Conference Teams this year?