If Maryville Goes 60-0 in DI 5A

WarriorFan

Welll..if any of you guys get Sports Illustrated you would see the National High School rankings. At one point this year Maryville was ranked 5th in the nation...I dont get this. Some say its the longevity of their winning but be honest here. You know five teams each from Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, California, Texas could beat Maryville. The rankings that are out this year are AWFUL

What are you doing on a football thread. Aren't you usually on a kickball thread?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys, this is my last thread of the year regarding football. Today, I was posting with Pepvol, and had a thought.......what if Maryville goes 60-0 in 5A? What will be the outcry of DI schools? What will the TSSAA member schools do to try and get them out of DI? Will they try to send them to their own league (by themselves)? Will they try to throw them to DII by saying they have kids going there out of zone and that they pay tuition to attend? This is a VERY serious topic. Let's hear some discussion.....

I wouldn't mind seeing them go 60-0 in 5A but that will never happen!

Welll..if any of you guys get Sports Illustrated you would see the National High School rankings. At one point this year Maryville was ranked 5th in the nation...I dont get this. Some say its the longevity of their winning but be honest here. You know five teams each from Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, California, Texas could beat Maryville. The rankings that are out this year are AWFUL

You are right the national high school polls are a joke. In some of the polls a team from Ohio Cincinatti St. X is the number one team in the country and I know there are teams all around the country that would whip their behinds! Especially some teams in the south. No disrespect to St. X they are big but not that fast and would have a very tough time with teams with alot of speed! Especially teams from the south!

You are right the national high school polls are a joke. In some of the polls a team from Ohio Cincinatti St. X is the number one team in the country and I know there are teams all around the country that would whip their behinds! Especially some teams in the south. No disrespect to St. X they are big but not that fast and would have a very tough time with teams with alot of speed! Especially teams from the south!

I know last year ST. X lost a heartbreaker to Lakeland FL.

OK guys, this is my last thread of the year regarding football. Today, I was posting with Pepvol, and had a thought.......what if Maryville goes 60-0 in 5A? What will be the outcry of DI schools? What will the TSSAA member schools do to try and get them out of DI? Will they try to send them to their own league (by themselves)? Will they try to throw them to DII by saying they have kids going there out of zone and that they pay tuition to attend? This is a VERY serious topic. Let's hear some discussion.....

Going to the semifinals in 5a would be a much bigger jump then being undefeated in 4a.Taking on the big guys week in and out would have a huge effect by playoffs end. I think they could run the table as well as many of the big 5a teams,{ one time}.To do it several years in a roll ? I don't see it being done at the next level of play for the Rebs, even though they are a great program.If they are as good as the national ranking says,it would still be a very hard thing to do without a letdown game somewhere along the way.

Easy answer......AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

If Maryvil were as good as they thought they were then they would have moved up 2 years ago. Why claim to be the best and stay 4A?

Big fish, not the biggest pond. At least play some DII teams in the regular season. Start with Webb, then maybe McCallie, and Ryan. After that, see how goes it with the big boyz from mid TN.

Smyrna is 5A. Wilson Central 5A. We step up.

It's not Maryville's choice to stay in 4A. The TSSAA makes that decision. Unless the TSSAA moves Maryville to 5A there is nothing you can say or do to move Maryville to 5A.

It's not Maryville's choice to stay in 4A. The TSSAA makes that decision. Unless the TSSAA moves Maryville to 5A there is nothing you can say or do to move Maryville to 5A.

This is a half truth to the rule. Maryville could not move DOWN unless the TSSAA reclassifies them. However, any school has the option to play UP a division. So in fact it is Maryville's decision to stay right where they are or move up. Greeneville & Elizabethton are 2 that I know of in East Tennessee that are 3A number wise and play up to 4A. Maryville is probably the biggest 4A school in the state. In fact, there are several 5A powers that have less students then Maryville such as Brentwood High and Ravenwood High to name a few off the top of my head (see tssaa for factual backup). There are many, many schools that play up even with less students. Maryville, when they do move up to 5A, will not be one of the smallest because of the growth rate. Many 1A - 4A schools like to blame a loss to a larger school on the number of students. When you get to 5A, a school that has 1,400 could be matched with a school that has nearly 3,000 students because in 5A there is no cap. In 2006 the largest school had about 2,600, but in the past schools have been larger. When DB had about 1,500 and would make it to Riverdale in the late 90's or early part of this decade, Riverdale would easily have 2,500 students and DB never complained about it. Just something to consider in 5A because it is unlimited by numbers

IMO the 4A classification that maryville plays in is as strong as 5A once you get to the play-offs. Would not matter! It's amazing how people bite on the spin that maryville lacks in talent. Don't be fooled! They will sandbag about the talent they have and just continue to WIN! No Doubt their coaching staff has to be considered one of the best but you just don't acheive what they have without talented players! If maryville remains in 4A they may never win as many as they have in-a-row again but no other team regardless of classification has acheived what they have. Being in 4A does not lesson what they have accomplished. IMO when folks put their disclaimers on what maryville has accomplished they are downing alot of programs that are very good and by doing so indirectly downing Tennesse High School Football! I am a mid-state fan and was for maplewood in the championship just like I was for Hillsboro in last years but if maryville decides to play a out of state team I would become a huge maryville fan! It want hurt my feelings when they lose but I do recongnize the fact they are one of the best in the state period!

Historically, when teams jump in class (particularly from 4A-5A), the jump is not done easily. Even the best programs struggle at times in this transition. It has to do with the depth and larger pool of athletes bigger programs bring, and doing it week in and out. What is more common is for average teams in 5A to excel going down to 4A (Hillsboro, Henry County, Clarksville, Kenwood, to name a few in this area).

In Maryville's case, they would more than likely be tested more often from constantly playing 5A teams which would match up closer to them, then the garden variety 4A teams they dominated. Where they would see the difference eventually would be the playoffs. Middle Tennessee has more 5A teams, and more higher caliber 5A teams, and slogging through the teams in Regions 4 and 6 would be a test.

This is not to say they couldn't run the table, but to pull off a similar undefeated run would be more challenging.