Sullivan South

Now you are talking! I apologize if I get a bit defensive about my team, but sometimes people get you going on these boards. The world would be perfect if we all had the mindset of your above post. I take back what I said about South never making it past Knoxville because I know they can. It is frustrating to me that some South fans don't realize that the difference in 4A and 5A puts DB up against much stiffer teams early in the playoffs as compared to 4A. As I said, region 1 5A reaches pretty far into Knoxville, Region 1 4A and Region 2 4A don't get to those tough areas quite as quick in the playoffs. DB has to contend with Knoxville and Chattanooga teams right off the bat, then Nashville and Murfreesboro are no joke. It is just frustrating when folks that don't know football think that DB losing in the second is any even comparable to South losing in the second round because it just ain't the same.

Anyways, I agree that all teams in our area are lacking something. I can't put my finger on it. I live in Nashville now and I watch all the best local privates and publics. One thing I do see here is the speed, there is much more of it here. Also the size, I don't know what they eat around here. It also seems that these teams around me have been attending more football and/or passing camps. I think in NE TN that trend has picked up so that is great. Then, the fact that these great teams play each other all season long certainly helps raise their ability. DB is usually pretty dominate in the Tri Cities area. Around Nashville they might be the best once every 6 years. The coaching here is a step above as well. The Titans help many teams in the area. The private school scene here is something the Tri Cities knows nothing about. They attract talent and they are very well coached and have all the basics down that can make a big difference.

But, on the flip side worry not my fellow East TN friends. The one area, and the most important area we dominate the rest of the state in is pride and attendance. I have been to the "so called" largest area rivalries. Be it Brentwood vs Franklin or MBA vs BA. The attendance to these big game is weak compared to NE TN big games. We are talking 6,000 at the max. DB vs South in 2006 had well over 14,000. My middle TN friend that came was amazed at the crowd. He thought it was a college game.

Oh and one more hurdle NE TN needs to get over. When we get to a big playoff game we have to get over the glitz and hype of it all. DB has had 2 teams that should have won state in the past 10 years. They get to the best team in the semis and freak. Kids are puking and thrown out of their normal game because they are star struck. The same thing happened to South last year against Maryville. South shoulda been closer. DB vs Riverdale in the semis in 2002; DB beat them all over the field statistically but had 6 or 7 turnovers and lost by 9. The worst was one TD was even a give me from DB to Riverdale as the DB return man did not totally down (knee) the ball and the DB return team walks off the field for the DB offense to take the field and an alert Riverdale player picked up the ball and waltzed in untouched for a score. Nobody on the field or in the stands realized it. Such a bad mistake. Red Bank in 2000 the #6 in the nation team with Gerald Riggs was just as bad. All other games in the semis had been cancelled due to rain. It was the home teams call. DB was a passing team with a scat back. Red Bank pounded it put with Riggs. So, you guessed it Red Bank knew the only way to beat DB was in a down pour because DB coulld not pass as well and the scat back would have a hard time cutting. Riggs on the other had, was good for 4 or 5 yard a carry. The worst conditions I have ever seen at any game at any level with inches of standing water on the field. Red Bank won in a close one and destroyed their championship game opponent. Every time DB has that special team, it seems luck is against them. 1998, 2000, 2002 were all semi final teams that could have done it. I think 2004 was the year that could have done it as well and they were upset in the quarters. Anyways, one day we will get it done.

One more note, sorry to ramble. Would it be possible to gather signatures of those that support the return of a DB vs South game? Could we propose that any opposing student found on the other school's campus faces suspension to bring some bite to the admin's bark? The money made at this game is just too much to ignore. Increase police by a few and inform the students ahead of time that any students caught after school at the other school are kicked out for a day. Example: If South played DB at DB, the South admin goes to DB before South is out for the day. All students are warned ahead of time. Police are there on standy by. South Admin can indentify any students breaking rules and the opposite is holds true if DB plays at South. I mean DB and South are intense rivals, but at some Nashville and Memphis city schools people get shot. So, I think we could manage it if we plan well. Lets, do it! South get it started. DB do the same!

Bud

If you have to stipulate all those "if-thens" then why play the game? Personally I don't miss the contest and DB had very little to gain (other than the South fan's $5)..it was a lose-lose. If DB won (which they did alot) it was because they had 10000 students and a 10 billion dollar budget and a tax payer paid fieldhouse, etc, etc, etc. If DB were to lose it would be a case of look how the mighty Indians choked again. Heard it all my life. I think it does more to hurt South in the billfold than DB because I was at the game they traded for DB (science Hill) and neither side was half full (I have actually only seen one game at Death Valley with a "big" crowd and that was...drum roll please...DB in '05). DB always packs the home side and that will only increase with the sweet turf they will be sailiing on next year. So Compton can live with the decision that blew up on him. I don't remember too much clammer from the South side about playing/not playing this game prior to the close game in '05 and there probably wasn't 1/4 of the visitors side filled in '04 when DB could have layed a hundred on South (I believe they also could have hung about that many in the all-time most hyped '06 shellacking). For me there are much more attractive games that you don't have to call out the National Guard for that in the long run prepare DB for the playoffs. I agree with whoever said it last year (etfan?) that it was convenient for South to drop this game after the '06 embarrasment for a game they could win (Science Hill) and the same gate...which only half came true.

Now...let the shots come in

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bud

If you have to stipulate all those "if-thens" then why play the game? Personally I don't miss the contest and DB had very little to gain (other than the South fan's $5)..it was a lose-lose. If DB won (which they did alot) it was because they had 10000 students and a 10 billion dollar budget and a tax payer paid fieldhouse, etc, etc, etc. If DB were to lose it would be a case of look how the mighty Indians choked again. Heard it all my life. I think it does more to hurt South in the billfold than DB because I was at the game they traded for DB (science Hill) and neither side was half full (I have actually only seen one game at Death Valley with a "big" crowd and that was...drum roll please...DB in '05). DB always packs the home side and that will only increase with the sweet turf they will be sailiing on next year. So Compton can live with the decision that blew up on him. I don't remember too much clammer from the South side about playing/not playing this game prior to the close game in '05 and there probably wasn't 1/4 of the visitors side filled in '04 when DB could have layed a hundred on South (I believe they also could have hung about that many in the all-time most hyped '06 shellacking). For me there are much more attractive games that you don't have to call out the National Guard for that in the long run prepare DB for the playoffs. I agree with whoever said it last year (etfan?) that it was convenient for South to drop this game after the '06 embarrasment for a game they could win (Science Hill) and the same gate...which only half came true.

With all due respect, your 1/2 full assessment of the crowd vs Science Hill is WAY off. I don't think it was a sell out, and certainly didn't draw as much as a D-B game, however Science Hill's side was almost completely full. I also beg to differ that the D-B game was only a benefit to South. I guarantee no one packs the visitors side like South fans unless its a playoff game and then not always. When was the last time you saw a football game at J. Fred with the entire baseball stands full and standing 4 deep around the fence? You ever noticed how big the home side at South is? It's huge. Furthermore, after the close '05 game, I congratulated a D-B fan on my way back to the car, know what he said? "Good game for you, but were gonna get killed the rest of the year, if we don't play better" and when you do win it's because your supposed to win. You see, all my life I have heard this from a lot D-B supporters. If you give them a good game, it's because they have the worst team in ages, never because your team played well. It's this type of post from some of the D-B faithful that ires so many people. The "Were too good to play a team like yours" mentality. I swear some of you people sure can sling the mud but can never look in the mirror. I will be the first to tell you we haven't given you a game in quite some time, with the exception of the '05 outting. I don't think the decision blew up in Comptons face at all. In fact I think it was a very smart move, losing that first game of the season was very deflating, in fact after the debacle of '06, it took the team quite a few games to snap out of the doldrums. As a South Alum and supporter I can assure you, that while I miss the game with D-B, it certainly doesn't bother me that it isn't being played. I appreciate what Stacy Carter has done and is doing at South. Is that a good enough shot? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

With all due respect, your 1/2 full assessment of the crowd vs Science Hill is WAY off. I don't think it was a sell out, and certainly didn't draw as much as a D-B game, however Science Hill's side was almost completely full. I also beg to differ that the D-B game was only a benefit to South. I guarantee no one packs the visitors side like South fans unless its a playoff game and then not always. When was the last time you saw a football game at J. Fred with the entire baseball stands full and standing 4 deep around the fence? You ever noticed how big the home side at South is? It's huge. Furthermore, after the close '05 game, I congratulated a D-B fan on my way back to the car, know what he said? "Good game for you, but were gonna get killed the rest of the year, if we don't play better" and when you do win it's because your supposed to win. You see, all my life I have heard this from a lot D-B supporters. If you give them a good game, it's because they have the worst team in ages, never because your team played well. It's this type of post from some of the D-B faithful that ires so many people. The "Were too good to play a team like yours" mentality. I swear some of you people sure can sling the mud but can never look in the mirror. I will be the first to tell you we haven't given you a game in quite some time, with the exception of the '05 outting. I don't think the decision blew up in Comptons face at all. In fact I think it was a very smart move, losing that first game of the season was very deflating, in fact after the debacle of '06, it took the team quite a few games to snap out of the doldrums. As a South Alum and supporter I can assure you, that while I miss the game with D-B, it certainly doesn't bother me that it isn't being played. I appreciate what Stacy Carter has done and is doing at South. Is that a good enough shot? /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I have to agree with that fan at the '05 game. I was there and we didn't play well and we were lucky to come out of there with a win. I don't think he meant that as a put down. I think he actually meant it as a back-handed compliment.

If you think about it there is really nothing to gain and everything to lose when you schedule a lower classification school. If you win, it's because you are supposed to because you're a bigger school. If you lose, you get criticized for losing to a lower classification and everyone wants to fire the coach. Just look at how Lloyd Carr took the heat after the App. State game. It ultimately lead to his early retirement.

Bud

The crowd for the '07 SHHS - SSHS game was very good. No local HS will bring a larger crowd than D-B, if their band is playing. The D-B band, parents and rest of the entourage are the difference. I suspect the D-B band may be worth as much as 750 paying tickets in addition to the stadium section the band members themselves occupy.

The opener last year was a win-win for South, particularly with the excitement over Coach Smith's opener. It will be interesting to see what the return visit to South will look like in '09 (if the series is renewed) in terms of the SH crowd. The Hill is not a good traveling football program and unless Smith makes significant improvement in '08 we could see his support unravel pretty fast.

Bud

Maroonandgrey...you're a snob. Why don't you get a house in the city?

Maroonandgrey...you're a snob. Why don't you get a house in the city?

I dont get this arguement it's useless DB was the better team in 06 and I with the rest of East Tennessee( besides Db fans)beleives that South was the better team in 07. Put all this behind and move on to 08. South can't waste time thinking about the What-if game. They have a challenge this year unlike the last 3 years in their own conference /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I dont get this arguement it's useless DB was the better team in 06 and I with the rest of East Tennessee( besides Db fans)beleives that South was the better team in 07. Put all this behind and move on to 08. South can't waste time thinking about the What-if game. They have a challenge this year unlike the last 3 years in their own conference /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I have often wondered if any of the posters that go on about the DB-South rivalry ever played in a DB-South game. I have always thought the players on both teams got along well with each other and gave each other respect. It is the students and fans who always keep the bickering going.

I hear what you are saying. But look back to 2006. All of East TN thought South would beat DB and look what happened. 44-0? It is too easy to just say that in 2007 South was a better team without playing the game. South was #4 in the State, DB was not ranked for the 2006 game. I even bought into the hype and thought DB would lose in 2006. You can't declare a better team without them playing, sorry. I personally think that although DB struggled on offense in 2007, the DB defense always gives South fits with their speed and better pass coverage.

Remember 37 yards for South, 299 for DB and DB cleared the bench. A bit too hard to declare South a favorite in 2007 without playing considering they were the 2006 favorites that were blown out.

I hear what you are saying. But look back to 2006. All of East TN thought South would beat DB and look what happened. 44-0? It is too easy to just say that in 2007 South was a better team without playing the game. South was #4 in the State, DB was not ranked for the 2006 game. I even bought into the hype and thought DB would lose in 2006. You can't declare a better team without them playing, sorry. I personally think that although DB struggled on offense in 2007, the DB defense always gives South fits with their speed and better pass coverage.

Remember 37 yards for South, 299 for DB and DB cleared the bench. A bit too hard to declare South a favorite in 2007 without playing considering they were the 2006 favorites that were blown out.

I believe that if DB got pumped for the playoff games the way they get pumped for South they would regularly be in the finals. We bring out your best for whatever reasons.

Madman, not so quick...Bristol was the toughest team we played in '07...including Maryville. Yes Maryville killed us. But they played "White Collar Football". Their coach, QB, and WR's were all on the same page. They played intellectual football. Bristol was a dogfight.

That is a pretty good shot...much easier on me than I thought I would get. But you are much more gracious than I can be at times.

Likewise, with all due respect. Nowhere did I say the game "only benefited South", I stated it was more beneficial to South than DB because I have seen the Oak Ridge, science hill, THS, Sevier County, Montgomery Bell, etc. sides pretty full consistantly in non playoff games. And South fans weren't really packing the visitors side in '04, '02, etc. Winning breeds crowds for sure. I would match the Montgomery Bell game crowd up with any crowd. I judge a crowd by how far I have to park and walk and there have been others besides South in '06. I never said "DB was too good to play South". Just as you have heard all your life what you have heard, I have also heard the "you should win with all the money and kids and BMWs and field house and field turf". Honestly, we hear alot but remember what we want....I'm guilty of that as well.

I correct myself, the decision didn't blow up just for the very reasons you stated. That '06 game took it's toll physically and emotionally on the South players AND fans and it seemed like a few weeks went by before they got back off the mat. And for that it was a good move. But for the psyche of the program it has to be a blow to say "we built this game as THE GAME and got it handed to us, so now we will cancel this game in the future as well as the JV/Freshman games immediately". I'm sure Stacey being the player he was had that mind set nor the players. And we will agree to disagree about the Science Hill/South crowd. I've seen more fans from the Morristown schools over there and in '05 I had to sit on the home side *gasp* /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> ! I guess what irks me is that the '05 game was hyped hyped hyped by both sides and then when the walls fell in South took there ball and went home AND THEN there was the mis information that DB cancelled it, then it was over DB withholding tickets, etc. Those were all bunk and layed out to shift the truth...talk about looking in the mirror.

I do have to say though, it seems only appropriate that South/DB should be the first football game on the new turf. That only seems logical to me but it won't be. I think there will be some interested ADs over the next few years chceking on the wear and tear of this new surface and it's impact on the kids (injuries) and this may be the first of many in the area. I could see Death Valley wearing a new field in the next few years. That and a little update to the potties and that would be a real treasure on Moreland. See I aint all bad.