The Streak will end with Alcoa

UCSportsFan

For anyone new to the Alcoa Maryville rivalry and anyone who has no dog in the fight and just wants to see some good football, My suggestion to you is to get there as early as possible to soak in the pregame activites and watch the teams warm ups and the student sections go back and forth. Watch the fans roar when their respective teams run out and when the coaches meet and talk at midfield. Watch the Maryville drumline warm up in the endzone closest to the weightroom. Watch Alcoa go through its "Too Hype" chant before warmups. Watch Maryville counter with its Iron Cross warmup drill.

This is hands down the greatest rivalry in Tennessee and you would be selling yourself short if you dont go out of your way to get there early and see all you can. This is an experience everyone should have in a lifetime. And the kids out there playing tonight will not totally understand how lucky they are to be playing in this type of atmosphere until thier careers are over. Emotions are sky high, and the intensity is even higher. Not to mention this game might be one of the best ever. Hope everyone stays safe tonight, players and fans.

Go Rebels!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could watch it from Cedar Street....

The view is great.

Time for food! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Are you on vacation this week? I could have swore Friday was one of the busiest days of the week at TCCC. Maybe it's time for a performance review! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

For anyone new to the Alcoa Maryville rivalry and anyone who has no dog in the fight and just wants to see some good football, My suggestion to you is to get there as early as possible to soak in the pregame activites and watch the teams warm ups and the student sections go back and forth. Watch the fans roar when their respective teams run out and when the coaches meet and talk at midfield. Watch the Maryville drumline warm up in the endzone closest to the weightroom. Watch Alcoa go through its "Too Hype" chant before warmups. Watch Maryville counter with its Iron Cross warmup drill.

This is hands down the greatest rivalry in Tennessee and you would be selling yourself short if you dont go out of your way to get there early and see all you can. This is an experience everyone should have in a lifetime. And the kids out there playing tonight will not totally understand how lucky they are to be playing in this type of atmosphere until thier careers are over. Emotions are sky high, and the intensity is even higher. Not to mention this game might be one of the best ever. Hope everyone stays safe tonight, players and fans.

Go Rebels!

This game has all the makings of a SC game. The only thing at stake is bragging rights for one year and some movement in various polls.

Hope all enjoy the game, especially us MHS Fans.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I've been watching all the posts all week and for the most part all have been fair , but 1 just keeps coming to mind that I can't get over . FBE talking about 2A being weak and that's why Alcoa has been winning the gold ball . Is it Alcoa's fault they are in 2A ? They only have 450 in the whole school . As far as 2A being weak , I don't think that's a fair accessment . Look at Goodpasture last week , they beat a 5A team , RAVENWOOD, that won it all a few yrs bk and have been in the playoffs every yr. They're some really good 2A teams all over the state . Alcoa use to play 2 5A teams every yr. but those teams dropped them from their schedule . But that's all old news and we have moved forward . This game still is a gr8 rilvery game but does it mean anything to either team in the grand scheme of things ? NO. Sure , bringing the streak to an end would be good but if Alcoa loses and still get the gold ball it's worth it . You get better playing good teams and lets you know how you stand against the best , it also prepares you for post season and hopefully the BIG game at the boro . I guess what I'm saying is these are 2 4 in a row state champions playing what should be a gr8 game tonight and should be left at that . The last 4 yrs I know several Maryville ppl go watch Alcoa play on Fri. night at the boro and alot of Alcoa ppl stay to watch Maryville play and each cheers for the other . That's the way it should be .

I've been watching all the posts all week and for the most part all have been fair , but 1 just keeps coming to mind that I can't get over . FBE talking about 2A being weak and that's why Alcoa has been winning the gold ball . Is it Alcoa's fault they are in 2A ? They only have 450 in the whole school . As far as 2A being weak , I don't think that's a fair accessment . Look at Goodpasture last week , they beat a 5A team , RAVENWOOD, that won it all a few yrs bk and have been in the playoffs every yr. They're some really good 2A teams all over the state . Alcoa use to play 2 5A teams every yr. but those teams dropped them from their schedule . But that's all old news and we have moved forward . This game still is a gr8 rilvery game but does it mean anything to either team in the grand scheme of things ? NO. Sure , bringing the streak to an end would be good but if Alcoa loses and still get the gold ball it's worth it . You get better playing good teams and lets you know how you stand against the best , it also prepares you for post season and hopefully the BIG game at the boro . I guess what I'm saying is these are 2 4 in a row state champions playing what should be a gr8 game tonight and should be left at that . The last 4 yrs I know several Maryville ppl go watch Alcoa play on Fri. night at the boro and alot of Alcoa ppl stay to watch Maryville play and each cheers for the other . That's the way it should be .

Welcome to the FBE fan club! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What I said, and stand by is the weakness of 2A in East TN. Never said Alcoa was weak, you won't ever find that said by me. Alcoa is the toughest and best 2A program in the state since 2000, barr none. Alcoa is better than many 4A & 5A teams. In 2001 in the semis a better Alcoa team lost to Goodpasture by 4. I watched that game on film the next day because I was watching MHS defeat Morr West that night. Alcoa in my opinion was the better team, they had some studs on that team. That game was the last time Alcoa had a close game that I can recall. The 03 SC game vs. Huntington was a nine point game and it was the last time Alcoa had a 2A contest where the win was less that double digits. Watch that game Alcoa was at least 14 points better but kept HHS in the game with mistakes. Who in 2A in East TN can stand up to Alcoa? Nobody, not even close! West TN has a few better teams and I think is better than ETN top to bottom.

Lastly it is not Alcoa's fault that they are head and heels better than the rest. It is the other schools who need to close the gap. Alcoa needs to keep getting better, that is the way the game is. Alcoa is blessed with a huge tax base where they can go out and get top quality coaches like Rankin and have kids transfer in, Like MHS has. 2A is weak in the respect that no one can play Alcoa close or take them into the 3rd qtr in 2A where they have a chance to win. Sweetwater was once a power in the 90's but now just a speed bump for Alcoa. Most of the time when Alcoa steps outside of 2A they get beat. Playing weak teams never helps and right now and the past several years 2A is weak and Alcoa has been very strong. With Rankin at the helm I respect the Alcoa Football program.

On this game, is it true Alcoa has 5 starters playing both ways to include QB James?

Good luck tonight and welcome to my fan club.

Wow, we truly are blessed to get see football of that intensity and with emotions running so high at the high school level. These two teams always bring the best out of eachother and tonight was no different. Now to my thoughts on the actual game...

First of all Tyler Robinson is legit D-1 in my mind... he was wide open the first two catches, then had two in his face on another one handed grab... and when he gets you in his arms at DE your going straight to the ground, I knew he was good but was very impressed with his presence tonight. Alcoa took the momentum early with that first drive but the Rebels answered with a score of their own and two more field goals before the half. Chase James played a good ballgame tonight too, he made some key throws on 3rd down for alcoa to keep drives alive, not bad on his feet either. One thing I think that hurt Alcoa tonight was why in the heck did Thompson not get more touches? If im coaching them he touching the football or getting thrown too at least once a series. Alcoa played and great game and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Now as for the Rebels...George Quarles is such an amazing head coach its not even funny. I hate to say he outcoached Rankin because Gary is a great one as well, but GQ knows what his offense is capable of doing and they executed his gameplan very well. This was Phillip Eulene 's coming out party, it was sooo good to see him play well. He read the option great tonight and made enough plays to help them win the game. Chris Jordan just like Sam Thompson needs to be getting more looks. Buddy Jones had one heck of a ball game and Shuler got some tough yards as well. DT #69 Nunns I believe is his name played outstanding, he had James on the move all night long and Smith always steps it up in the big games. All in all a great win and one of the best high school games Ive seen in a while.

Congrats to both teams and will be looking for two more gold balls back to East Tennessee.... 62 in a row, Way to go Rebels

Way to go Rebels. Wow! Alcoa is really good. I see them breezing into Murfreesboro. What schools are looking at T. Robinson. He made a great catch that I almost stood up and clapped for, but the peer pressure was just too great.

I'm glad there were no serious injuries. There was some hitting going on out there.

what an awesome game! i was glad to be at this one it was close all the way till the end just the way it oughta be. Alcoas TE #89 is an amazing athlete, that one handed grab over the middle was very impressive, almost aaron douglas esque. GQ continues to prove me right by winning week after week. 62 in a row baby!!!!

Maybe next year alcoa....but maybe never.

So APB,

Are you saying that GQ is Rankin's daddy? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Solly that rite thar wuz funny and eye don't care who ewe are...... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Eye jest missed tha spread by 92 points......With tha poet, tha streak endin', tha tornada in Sunsett View.....Well fellers tha streak jest goes on and on....Also aftur tha lites wint out tonite at tha Skeeter eye dropped my gallusses and did anothur kind of "streak" on Jim Renfro feeled.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Congrats two Alcoa on a good gaim and two tha boys in Red and Black frum 825 Lawrence.....Way two gitter dunn.....Fer time number #62...... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />