MBA vs. Moeller

Redtwin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA is an excellent ambassador of Football and class for our state.

Were the Ohio folks shocked?

First off, congratulations to MBA on a nice win, as you were clearly the better team today. I am a transplanted Buckeye living in the Nashville area, very familiar with Ohio h.s. football. Definately not shocked, as I knew MBA is a favorite to win the title this year in D2, and Moeller has so many question marks coming into the year. Moeller is no slouch, a solid Ohio football team, but not quite back to the top of the heap yet. 1st year coach with a new offense, and by listening to the game, trying to decide on a quaterback. Team/community morale had been pretty low the past several years, many on the forums up there blaming the coach. With the new coach and system, kids and fans are excited this year, as you can tell by all the youngsters on yappi thumping their chests, but only time will tell as the season plays out if Moeller is "back". Not to take anything away from the win, but looking at Moeller's schedule , they stand a very good chance of losing 5 more games this year, and watching the playoffs on tv. Centerville, Mentor(back to back runner-up in D1),Cin. Elder,Indianapolis Cathedral(definate loss),Lakewood St. Ed, and St. Xavier. Easy games in Cincinnati D1 are few and far between.

Just rolling back into Nashville from Cincinnati. What a weekend!

MBA was well represented at the game. Granted, it's difficult to determine attendance on your own side since you don't have as good of a view as those opposite of you, but considering the distance, the holiday, and the size of MBA relative to Moeller, MBA fans came through big time. Playing in a large pro stadium also distorts how many people are actually there (and diminishes the crowd factor as well). There was quite a bit of alumni representation as well.

As for the game itself, these were two similar teams for the most part. Moeller looked impressive on the field in warmups (relatively, more impressive than what I saw of Trinity (KY) but not nearly as impressive as Byrnes (SC)). The Ohio boards say that this Moeller team is "young", but of the 91 players listed in the game program, only 3 were sophomores; the rest were juniors and seniors. Needless to say, MBA was younger - maybe not necessarily for the starters, but Moeller definitely had a depth advantage across the entire roster. When you look at what MBA has faced playing schools like Trinity (3X+ in enrollment) and Moeller (2X enrollment), MBA has, pound for pound, squeezed quite a bit from its student body.

MBA was steady and solid the whole day. They moved the ball with precision, mixing up the pass and run well. Joseph Sloan had a spectacular one-handed catch in the first quarter to keep a drive alive on third down. The hook-and-ladder play on the second touchdown was a thing of beauty, and yet Patrick Crum still had to evade a defender to turn it up field for the TD jaunt (that's the thing about a school like Moeller - teams like that, and I would largely include MBA's DII brethren in the same sentence - even with a gadget play, these kind of teams are always well-disciplined enough still to be in position to make a play). Defensively, MBA was its usual self - swarming to the ball and very physical.

Other than a couple of relative low points - a snap over the punter's head in the first and some points left on the field through turnover or missed scoring opportunities - one couldn't ask for much of a better day for MBA/Tennessee fans.

It was a great weekend. I saw the St. Thomas Aquinas team from Fort Lauderdale in our hotel Friday night - very impressive looking team, at least in street clothes (STA beat Cincinnati Elder on Saturday).

All in all, MBA represented quite well. The Big Red had a great spread in the game program (an accurate, impressive game program) and followed through on the field with even greater play.

I'm worn out but will take a moment to drink a toast to the Big Red before bedtime - and to KWoodroof, who I had the pleasure of meeting and realize he has a "leg" up on me in terms of showing school pride.

RRR

Just rolling back into Nashville from Cincinnati. What a weekend!

MBA was well represented at the game. Granted, it's difficult to determine attendance on your own side since you don't have as good of a view as those opposite of you, but considering the distance, the holiday, and the size of MBA relative to Moeller, MBA fans came through big time. Playing in a large pro stadium also distorts how many people are actually there (and diminishes the crowd factor as well). There was quite a bit of alumni representation as well.

As for the game itself, these were two similar teams for the most part. Moeller looked impressive on the field in warmups (relatively, more impressive than what I saw of Trinity (KY) but not nearly as impressive as Byrnes (SC)). The Ohio boards say that this Moeller team is "young", but of the 91 players listed in the game program, only 3 were sophomores; the rest were juniors and seniors. Needless to say, MBA was younger - maybe not necessarily for the starters, but Moeller definitely had a depth advantage across the entire roster. When you look at what MBA has faced playing schools like Trinity (3X+ in enrollment) and Moeller (2X enrollment), MBA has, pound for pound, squeezed quite a bit from its student body.

MBA was steady and solid the whole day. They moved the ball with precision, mixing up the pass and run well. Joseph Sloan had a spectacular one-handed catch in the first quarter to keep a drive alive on third down. The hook-and-ladder play on the second touchdown was a thing of beauty, and yet Patrick Crum still had to evade a defender to turn it up field for the TD jaunt (that's the thing about a school like Moeller - teams like that, and I would largely include MBA's DII brethren in the same sentence - even with a gadget play, these kind of teams are always well-disciplined enough still to be in position to make a play). Defensively, MBA was its usual self - swarming to the ball and very physical.

Other than a couple of relative low points - a snap over the punter's head in the first and some points left on the field through turnover or missed scoring opportunities - one couldn't ask for much of a better day for MBA/Tennessee fans.

It was a great weekend. I saw the St. Thomas Aquinas team from Fort Lauderdale in our hotel Friday night - very impressive looking team, at least in street clothes (STA beat Cincinnati Elder on Saturday).

All in all, MBA represented quite well. The Big Red had a great spread in the game program (an accurate, impressive game program) and followed through on the field with even greater play.

I'm worn out but will take a moment to drink a toast to the Big Red before bedtime - and to KWoodroof, who I had the pleasure of meeting and realize he has a "leg" up on me in terms of showing school pride.

RRR

It was an excellent game. I have to confess to expecting a loss. MBA wins by having intelligent, well disciplined players who are well conditioned, play hard, and manage to overachieve in large part due to pride in their school. Moeller, however, does all of those too, and with greater depth. I only spoke with a couple of Moeller fans, but they were very gracious and classy.

And it was a pleasure meeting RRR. I think it would be petty to "needle" him regarding school spirit.

Great Job MBA - That is the way to represent the state of Tennessee.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but MBA ran onto the field with one player carrying a large Tennessee flag.