WHY THE HATE?

AttenCHUN

Because the system is completely and irretrievably broken. Public school systems are overrun with bureaucracy and teachers unions. Decisions aren't made with the child in mind, they are made with local politics (and federal) and teacher union wants in mind.

No place is this more evident than in Wilson Co where athletics and coaching supplements were threatened to be taken away - only to have that "saved" at the extreme threat of firing educators (assistant principals, ed aides, teachers, etc.). A minimal funding increase was finally approved - but allowed only for a status quo budget from last year. There are hundreds of new students and another elementary school added to the system this year.

My wife and I volunteer tremendous amounts of time at our kids public schools. My wife spends 3 hours, 2 days a week helping 1st graders with their AR tests because there aren't enough resources. We attend all the functions, donate money for playgrounds, etc. And we still feel like we don't do enough because there are other parents that are able to do way, way more than we are.

However, we've both come to the realization that it is a futile attempt. The problem is that there isn't any real competition to the public school system. Local politicians and teacher union's all know they have virtually everyone over a barrel. Unless something is done to create competition (i.e. vouchers, or something), the problem is going to get worse.

With that being said, my wife and I are exploring the possibility of sending our kids to a private school. It is virtually a guarantee now once they hit middle school. We have taken the position that we can't sit back and watch a broken system break our children.

If you do decide to send your children to private, I can tell you that your wallet may be a little lighter, but the burden on your heart will also be lighter as well. You will see dramatic results and probably say in a few years that it was the best decision you ever made. Good Luck. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said you didn't have fund raisers I'm sure the people with the money at least want to see the school trying to help themselves. The public education system is much better than people think but when you HAVE to take every kid that walks through the door some of them will pull your test scores down for many reasons ..........no help at home (if there is a home) , learning disabilities , behavioral disabilities , etc. But see private schools don't have these distractions , and if they do they remove it. You can get a good education at a public school if you can get some support from home. I went to public school , it prepared me well enough for college .........finished college and doing just fine , but I was one of the lucky ones with 2 parents at home who cared.

Back to the sports side of this most public schools get NO money from the system for athletics and most small rural parents cant afford to donate tons of money like private parents can (not all but most , I know some of you had to trade in your jag for a cadillac so you could send your kids to private) Most private schools get what they need to be succesful in sports regardless of price ....thats something small publics cant do.

While your statements may have a grain of truth in the case of some private schools, I will speak on the Catholic private schools. The great majority of the parents are middle class and struggle to send their children to Catholic schools. We also have our fair share of single parent families who somehow manage to send their children too. I dare say sir that the public school system was in much better shape across the board when you attended or when many of my personal friends attended. Sadly it has been on a downward spiral for many years in the state of Tennessee. If you could see some of the public school systems in other states, nothing more would have to be said. The issue is bigger than both of us and cannot be solved easily. But making derogatory statements about private schools will never solve the public school problem. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Total myth. The education in Madison County schools is just as good as the private education here.

Maybe you are correct about Madison County, but statewide no way, no how. I don't know much about Madison County, but would need to hear from some private posters before forming an opinion. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Breaking the children..do you think remaining in a public school would lower their SAT scores, chances of getting into college? If so, why exactly?

Answer yes, yes. I am not saying it will lower their test scores, its just that it is a proven fact that a greater percentage of private school students make higher test scores than their public brethren. If people continue to deny that the public school system is in pitiful shape in Tennessee, then the state will wind up taking over most of the schools and that won't solve anything either. It is going to take a joint effort from the majority of public school parents who stand up and refuse to accept anything less than a superior education and are willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen. This denial of a problem must stop or it will take twice as long to correct it. And the gap between private and public will become wider every year. In the city of Nashville, if one took a look at people who are in the highest positions of power and income, check to see where they went to school. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Maybe you are correct about Madison County, but statewide no way, no how. I don't know much about Madison County, but would need to hear from some private posters before forming an opinion. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Like everything else, it is all a matter of opinion. I am not here to knock anyone's content with their particular personal situation yet to me there is no comparison. Maybe the magnets, but not as a whole.

Answer yes, yes. I am not saying it will lower their test scores, its just that it is a proven fact that a greater percentage of private school students make higher test scores than their public brethren. If people continue to deny that the public school system is in pitiful shape in Tennessee, then the state will wind up taking over most of the schools and that won't solve anything either. It is going to take a joint effort from the majority of public school parents who stand up and refuse to accept anything less than a superior education and are willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen. This denial of a problem must stop or it will take twice as long to correct it. And the gap between private and public will become wider every year. In the city of Nashville, if one took a look at people who are in the highest positions of power and income, check to see where they went to school. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

They make higher scores because there are more college prep kids in private schools. Who would pay the tuition for a private school if their kids weren't going to college? I can speak for my school. We have had several kids to make in the 30's on their ACT tests...and near perfect on the SAT. We have a very good public school system in this small county. The education is there if you want it.

We have...lawyers...politicians...renowned heart surgeons...heads of large companies...a rocket scientist that graduated from here.

They make higher scores because there are more college prep kids in private schools. Who would pay the tuition for a private school if their kids weren't going to college? I can speak for my school. We have had several kids to make in the 30's on their ACT tests...and near perfect on the SAT. We have a very good public school system in this small county. The education is there if you want it.

We have...lawyers...politicians...renowned heart surgeons...heads of large companies...a rocket scientist that graduated from here.

I actually have two relatives that are graduates of Smith Co. over the last few years. While they are smart kids, rocket scientists they are not. I also know several teachers at Smith Co. I am impressed with their dedication and devotion to the kids. I do agree that in comparison to other public systems, it does seem to be solid. But it still pails in comparison to some of the private schools my wife and I toured. Two different schools had ACT scores that averaged right on top of 30. Averaged 30.

While your statements may have a grain of truth in the case of some private schools, I will speak on the Catholic private schools. The great majority of the parents are middle class and struggle to send their children to Catholic schools. We also have our fair share of single parent families who somehow manage to send their children too. I dare say sir that the public school system was in much better shape across the board when you attended or when many of my personal friends attended. Sadly it has been on a downward spiral for many years in the state of Tennessee. If you could see some of the public school systems in other states, nothing more would have to be said. The issue is bigger than both of us and cannot be solved easily. But making derogatory statements about private schools will never solve the public school problem. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If saying someone has enough money to do whatever they want is derogatory I wish people had a reason to be derogatory towards me! Middle class in east TN. is wealthy in my book and if you struggle to send them to private I still don't see the point , if you don't like the system MOVE! there are so many small communities in the surrounding knoxville area with fine public education if your middle class you can afford a move. Privates have higher AVERAGES in test scores because they dont have to test lower level and special needs students. I have seen several public school students score very high on test scores at one point I believe Sevier County PUBLIC schools scored in the top 10% in the nation.