IMAC (District 2 AAA) 2008-2009 Thread

raiderray

Cocke County beats Greeneville tonight 45-42 in a hard fought victory. Dixon fouled out with around 3 minutes to go in the contest.

All along I've said how difficult a matchup I thought this would be for the Lady Devils and at the "henhouse" it makes it doubly difficult. The Lady Red played inspired GREAT basketball...everything was clicking for them. The Lady Devils, however, could not get a shot to fall. Buda does a great job driving relentlessly to the basket and drawing fouls (real or imagined). Our guards needed to do more of that and Buda would have been out of the game as well. I have to say that the three black and white striped hens down there were the worst I've ever seen on both ends of the court. They allowed some things to get out of hand which ended up with an injury...one of the things we can't have right now with Kelley already out. They also were so "in to" watching the game instead of calling it that it took our Coach practically walking out on to the court and tapping one of them on the shoulder to get a time out after about 30 precious seconds of screaming for one. I will go out on al limb and say that the next matchup, in a different venue, won't even be close. Lady Devils will have payback on their minds and win BIG.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow ghsbbfaln,

Talk about Bitter Bitsy--take the loss like a DUDE and don't qualify it. You lost!! That is what home court advantage is for. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Wow ghsbbfaln,

Talk about Bitter Bitsy--take the loss like a DUDE and don't qualify it. You lost!! That is what home court advantage is for. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Not bitter at all...please re-read. I gave CC their due. They played great and we didn't. But, I have a real problem with these refs (anywhere they are calling a game). They were horrible and when they aren't consistant, players get frustrated and many times are injured when things get out of hand. That's not acceptable. Yes, home court advantage is definitely a plus...it's nice that next time we have it... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Not bitter at all...please re-read. I gave CC their due. They played great and we didn't. But, I have a real problem with these refs (anywhere they are calling a game). They were horrible and when they aren't consistant, players get frustrated and many times are injured when things get out of hand. That's not acceptable. Yes, home court advantage is definitely a plus...it's nice that next time we have it... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Wow. I go with bigboi on this one. You really are bitter. I guess you're just gonna have to take it like a man. Teams sometimes have to adjust to refs having a bad game (if they truly did and that's not just bitter words)...Apparently CC adjusted. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

My two cents - preseason:

1. West

2. Cocke

3 Greeneville

4 East

5 Jeff

6 Cherokee

Ok, so I am not perfect, but I was really split on the 4/5 position, and really, as far as seeding for the District Tourny, it really doesn't matter. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

At the halfway point, who will have a different 2nd half??? Better or worse? If this holds up, Cherokee would play Greeneville, and Jeff would play East in the opening round of the tourney. Jeff/East winner faces West, Greeneville/Cherokee winner faces Cocke County. When was the last time Greeneville had to play in the first round? 2003? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Wow. I go with bigboi on this one. You really are bitter. I guess you're just gonna have to take it like a man. Teams sometimes have to adjust to refs having a bad game (if they truly did and that's not just bitter words)...Apparently CC adjusted. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I guess someone needs to define bitter for me because I freely acknowledge and even predicted that Cocke County is a great team and would be trouble for us. We did not play well and that's just a fact. Not bitter about it all. The officiating is another subject entirely. Although I do think they were very biased (the team foul imbalance was ridiculous), we could have overcome them if we would have hit our shots. I do have a problem when the safety of the players is threatened and unnecessary and avoidable injuries occur because of their ineptness.

I will say this, yes their were some questionable calls in the CCHS vs GHS game last night, but they went both ways. Of course CCHS went to the foul line more than GHS did, thats what happens when you attack the basket the whole game. CCHS didnt play their best game last night either. I have seen them play alot better in plenty of games this season. Wade has found a way to hold Dixon (sp.) expect to see that alot more over in GHS. & no CCHS wont get blown out over there.

How did CC hold Dickson? We would all like to know what he strategy was.

They didn't. She got her 20 points but she did it being doubled up and getting the crap knocked out of her every time she took a shot. Of course there usually was no call. I think the difference was that usually when she is doubled up, there is at least one or more other Lady Devils that steps in to fill the void. That did not happen last night, not for lack of trying, their shots and attempts were just not successful.

Actually she might have got her 20, but how many of it was in the 1st half? Where was she at when it was crunch time? & no she didnt get knocked around, if you honestly thought that was getting knocked around last night you dont know basketball. If it was not for her being on that team i would really hate to see how bad that team would be.

FINALLY! In what is believed on CCHS's side, for the first time in at least 15 years, yes, I said, 15 years, the Lady Red defeated G'ville. AND, it is rumored to go back to the early 70's, since both boys and girls won on the same night. At least those were the rumors floating last night.

In a very physical defensive game, we matched G'ville in defensive intensity, we did not fall behind early, we made stops at the end, made free throws at the end and threw off a huge monkey off our backs. Outside of twice not covering the off-side giving them two easy baskets, we contested shots and we rebounded enough.

Jalese Pruitt, who last year could not stay on the court for her lack of rebounding and defensive play, was simply a warrior last night, even in foul trouble. Her rebounding and her defensive play was stellar. She would get my game ball.

For all the "girl-haters" who don't believe that girls basketball is real, please see if you can try to get a rebound last night. It was a battle. I saw lots of ice bags after the game.

Offensively it was still a struggle for us, mainly, because G'ville is so strong and they play such great team defense. And because we are a good, but not great offensive team.

The atmosphere with a huge crowd was the best I have been in, in a non-tournament game.

I thought Nicole, as always, had strong game as did Paige. I also thought G'ville struggled a bit last night w/o Nicole on the floor, especially at the end. I thought Coach C. was gracious at the end and she has a real beef in not getting the TO quicker, though I don't think it was 30 seconds, but it was very loud at the end. We also have a beef in Shannon not getting Nicole on a charge.

In the grand scheme of things, this win does only two things. First, it accomplishes a goal - the very first goal that Wade set on media day - to beat G'ville b/c these girls had never done it. Second, as I said yesterday, it is all about confidence. It is just a game on the schedule, but it says we can win. Yes, I think it will be very difficult to win in G'ville, but if we should meet again in the tournament, we know as does G'ville we can win - the intimidation factor is gone. Granted, doing it will be another thing. I simply cannot overemphasis among these girls how big that elephant was.

Last night was a clean sweep - freshman boys, both JV's and both varsities. By the way, the boy who made the buzz beater in the JV game, was told last year after two major knee injuries he would not be able to play basketball again. Lots of things went our way last night.

Now a week to get ready for Mo West. As we matched defensive intensity last night, next week we will have to match their offensively intensity. We will have to be able to score. It will be "Breast Cancer Awareness Night" and our girls will be wearing pink uniforms. It will be homecoming and the band is coming. It will be packed, maybe standing room only, so come early. It is a totally different mindset against Mo West. MO West is quicker and has better offensive skills at each position, and while, very very good - maybe the best in the state, they won't scare us. And, if we get a little love from the AP, maybe a battle between 2 top 10 teams in the state. What a schedule for Mo West - on Thursday at South Greene and on Friday in our house!