IMAC (District 2 AAA) 2008-2009 Thread

raiderray

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First half will be very close, I am sure. Too much intensity for there not to be. We are not really that deep guys. Once you get past the five, we have Shelby, Allison, Lauren, and Janie.

That's it. We are not flush with people like Jeff or Cocke or even Gville.

I think the ability to play more than 8 players is overrated. For gosh sakes, the games are only 32 minutes. Your good players ought to be able to go 25 minutes plus, so playing more than 3 subs I think just gets everyone confused. Especially if you are pulling starters 3 minutes into the game, just for the sake of getting new people in. Even you BEST players will have 3 minute stretches where they don't play well. That usually means that they will play the next 6-10 minutes very well.

I think coaches at the HS level have gotten too aware of "substitution patterns" and "wearing a team down with the bench". Those are college strategies that don't always work, either. If your best 5 players average 22 minutes a game per player, that is 50 minutes of playing time left for the other players. If that ends up being 3 players play 44 of those minutes, and 2 other get 3 minutes each of mop up time, then I think you have a good rotation.

My opinion, is that unless you have 10 All stars, playing 10 players almost equal minutes can create confusion. 3 years ago, West had like 8 seniors, and also 2 or 3 quality underclassman. Coach G's solution to that for most of the year was to send in 5 players at a time. We called it "line change". There were times when players appeared to forget who they were playing with. I think that team suffered from his indecesion on who should be playing. And he is not the only example of that, it is just the easiest for me to remember.

Coach Burkey took two teams to State playing 8 players most of the time. Coach C has taken teams the next 3 years. So that means there were good players sitting on the bench, not playing, with Burkey, that ended up playing major roles later on.

Ok, down of my box. Good luck to everyone. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I think the ability to play more than 8 players is overrated. For gosh sakes, the games are only 32 minutes. Your good players ought to be able to go 25 minutes plus, so playing more than 3 subs I think just gets everyone confused. Especially if you are pulling starters 3 minutes into the game, just for the sake of getting new people in. Even you BEST players will have 3 minute stretches where they don't play well. That usually means that they will play the next 6-10 minutes very well.

I think coaches at the HS level have gotten too aware of "substitution patterns" and "wearing a team down with the bench". Those are college strategies that don't always work, either. If your best 5 players average 22 minutes a game per player, that is 50 minutes of playing time left for the other players. If that ends up being 3 players play 44 of those minutes, and 2 other get 3 minutes each of mop up time, then I think you have a good rotation.

My opinion, is that unless you have 10 All stars, playing 10 players almost equal minutes can create confusion. 3 years ago, West had like 8 seniors, and also 2 or 3 quality underclassman. Coach G's solution to that for most of the year was to send in 5 players at a time. We called it "line change". There were times when players appeared to forget who they were playing with. I think that team suffered from his indecesion on who should be playing. And he is not the only example of that, it is just the easiest for me to remember.

Coach Burkey took two teams to State playing 8 players most of the time. Coach C has taken teams the next 3 years. So that means there were good players sitting on the bench, not playing, with Burkey, that ended up playing major roles later on.

Ok, down of my box. Good luck to everyone. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

This will fly if: No one gets hurt,sick or in foul trouble. If you havent tested your depth early then these symptoms can devistate you at the crucial times late in the season. Then of course there are those that are envious of being able to go to there bench let alone go 7 or 8 deep. Also where does toughnut get that they arent that deep......is that like saying aah i aint really hungry before you devour the buffet? /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

First half will be very close, I am sure. Too much intensity for there not to be. We are not really that deep guys. Once you get past the five, we have Shelby, Allison, Lauren, and Janie.

That's it. We are not flush with people like Jeff or Cocke or even Gville.

Looking at the score on the scoreboard, I am guessing that players 10-14 got a lot of PT tonight. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Looking at the score on the scoreboard, I am guessing that players 10-14 got a lot of PT tonight. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Ok--I'm slow. I don't get this!! Someone please explain.

How did everybody else do?

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Ok--I'm slow. I don't get this!! Someone please explain.

How did everybody else do?

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Greeneville won in a pretty ugly game with too many turnovers.

West led at half by 17. East cut lead back to 10 in 3rd and game was as close as 12, 1/3 way through 4th. West was as strong as I had imagined and actually didnt go to there bench as deep or for as many minutes as I would have thought. East handled there press pretty well and kept their offense a little confused with the match-up D. Sydney and Taylor were the difference in transition. East struggled getting back even on a few made buckets. A technical foul from Smiley of the moron three stooges that was just showman ship and Orrick fouling out was a big turn around in what was still a game. Blaylock had a surge late that was helping keep it respectable before this. They pretty much face guarded Hale after she had hit back to back 3's in the 1st quarter to put east ahead after trailing 11-6. final was a 23 point difference

Cocke County beat Cherokee 64-34.

CC had 3 players in double figures: Depew (15), Sprouse (13) and Buda (12). Another double-double for Depew, her 9th in 11 games (She didnt obtain one against Sullivan Central when she missed the entire 3rd quarter with 4 fouls and in a 40-plus-point win over Class A Berean Christian).

Buda had a great line.. 12 points on a 4-of-8 night from the field, 8 steals, 7 assists and 6 rebounds.

Cherokee turned the ball over 31 times in the game. They really struggled against the defensive pressure.

Standings into Friday's last game prior to the Christmas Break:

Morristown West (2-0)

Greeneville (2-0)

Cocke County (2-1)

Jefferson County (2-1)

Morristown East (0-3)

Cherokee (0-3)

In my opinion West didn't really seem to be giving it their all last night. Many missed layups and free throws. If I remember correctly Hall didn't hit a shoot outside of a layup. Shot seemed to be just a tad off but still managed 25 I think. East has a very big starting 5 but guard play just leaves a lot to be desired. Orrick is a very big asset against the press. Great hands and a big target and passes really well. West only gave a token press at best for the most part. Atmosphere was not like any other East West games I have seen. Very quite for the most part.

Was last night Greene Devil win a milestone for someone? There are three pictures in the picture gallery of Coach C and Nicole holding a game ball. Just curious. Maybe it was as simple as the gameball presentation, but I have never seen newspaper coverage of that before.

There was a reference in the article about Nicole being the all time leading scorer.... did she do that last night? I mean, reach the mark last night.

Was last night Greene Devil win a milestone for someone? There are three pictures in the picture gallery of Coach C and Nicole holding a game ball. Just curious. Maybe it was as simple as the gameball presentation, but I have never seen newspaper coverage of that before.

There was a reference in the article about Nicole being the all time leading scorer.... did she do that last night? I mean, reach the mark last night.

Nicole was given the ball before the game for becoming the all time leading scorer at Greeneville during their last tournament.