It stinks not to be Alcoa in AA.

bigbearsfan

For all of us in region 2AA Alcoa is the measuring stick. With 4 consecutive state championships, they are also the measuring stick for the entire state in AA. Just like Spurrier and the Gators made everyone in the SEC raise their game(not a fan, just giving credit where it is due). Alcoa does the same for all of us poor souls who have to face them in regular season as well as most playoff years. I admit, it would be nice to open a season not "staring down the barrel" or as the faithful call it, the F5. But it does make you work harder as coaches and players. How rewarding it will be for the team that knocks off the giant, or I should say the Tornados. That may be awhile, but it will eventually happen. When I played only 1 team from each district got into the playoffs anyway, none of this 3 or 4 team deal or teams with 2-8 records. You've heard it before, "to be the man, you've got to beat the man". I completely respect Alcoa, their coaches, players and fans. They've got a great program, and they have earned it.

But now, for the real men of genius: here's to you "Mr. too small, too slow" AA football player. You run til you puke in August heat, pump iron until you can't raise your arms above your head, endure countless tongue lashings from coach about how the Tornado is coming, sit alone atop of that tackling dummy at the end of a long hard practice, barely able to hold up your head. Yes, here's to you. It may seem futile at times, but trust me, in years down the road you'll reflect back and cherish these days, whether you every beat Alcoa or not. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That is pretty good right there. Actually that is real good. Good job!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of us in region 2AA Alcoa is the measuring stick. With 4 consecutive state championships, they are also the measuring stick for the entire state in AA. Just like Spurrier and the Gators made everyone in the SEC raise their game(not a fan, just giving credit where it is due). Alcoa does the same for all of us poor souls who have to face them in regular season as well as most playoff years. I admit, it would be nice to open a season not "staring down the barrel" or as the faithful call it, the F5. But it does make you work harder as coaches and players. How rewarding it will be for the team that knocks off the giant, or I should say the Tornados. That may be awhile, but it will eventually happen. When I played only 1 team from each district got into the playoffs anyway, none of this 3 or 4 team deal or teams with 2-8 records. You've heard it before, "to be the man, you've got to beat the man". I completely respect Alcoa, their coaches, players and fans. They've got a great program, and they have earned it.

But now, for the real men of genius: here's to you "Mr. too small, too slow" AA football player. You run til you puke in August heat, pump iron until you can't raise your arms above your head, endure countless tongue lashings from coach about how the Tornado is coming, sit alone atop of that tackling dummy at the end of a long hard practice, barely able to hold up your head. Yes, here's to you. It may seem futile at times, but trust me, in years down the road you'll reflect back and cherish these days, whether you every beat Alcoa or not. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good post! There is only one gold ball, but there are lots of great schools, coaches, kids, and fans across the state. There will be a lot of great adults years from now who learned a lot of life lessons from Alcoa as well as from all of the schools who couldn't beat Alcoa. There will also be a lot of life's losers (unfortunately) from the schools who win and from those who lose. Winning a gold ball is awesome (we did it in 2000 and 2002), but ultimately, it does not guarantee success in life or define a person's life.

Best of luck to everyone who competes. Alcoa is to be congratulated for their accomplishments, but all the schools should be respected for helping build positive lessons into the lives of the kids. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No, Boyd is the Buchaneers, I am from Tellico. I usually watch Alcoa a couple times a year, and they are a treat to watch. I was hoping that Alcoa would beat Maryville this year, just so i could see a big streak end. Maryville is fun to watch, but it is good to see upsets every now and then.

But the talent in Blount County is unreal. Good grief, winning a State championship every year you are in school? And how about not losing a game?

On December 5, a very disappointed one.

If Milan can get there.

Let me let you in on a little bit of TRUE pride....

Win or Loose...I'll hold my head high! I'll never be disappointed as long as my guys play their hearts out...which they do every game.

Just remember...you have to get there as well. Nothing is a gimme in 2A.