Greeneville Vs. Maryville

DevilMan03

refer to previous post /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

ar?‹…ro?‹…gance??‚[ar-uh-guhns]

offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.

No confusion here ghost-baby....

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hate is just fuel for the fire. Everyone in MARYVILLE knows and expects classless , off color , disrespectful and hateful comments. When you have the big black "M" on your chest you really cannot expect anything else. Our young men and women handle it very well and the thing about it is that they have done nothing to deserve this hate , except excel at what they do. There a no apologies for this. GO REBELS!!!!!

Greyrider, I don't believe its hate. IMO, its just the old American instinct to want to see the underdog prevail. I certainly didn't intend to say people hate Maryville. If everyone is honest about it, they have a lot of respect for the program. I know I do.

I think it would mean so much for Greeneville's players and fans for them to be the cinderella story and come out the winner because with them moving down into their correct classificaton next year and Maryville moving up, it will probably be the last chance that Greeneville will have to even play them. Not to mention what a tumultuous and challenging year the Green Devils have had losing Barner early (but, HE'S BACK!) and then Greenway in week 10. If they somehow pull it out, it would be the biggest underdog story in a LONG time. Maybe David and Goliath is the appropriate analogy. Either way, David defeated the giant and Cindy got the prince!

I do think it's fitting that the last year Greeneville gets to play with the big boys, we get to play THE big boys.....just think how the story would play if Greeneville can find a way to pull off the upset. I would think if someone has to beat the might Rebels, might as well be the ultimate underdog. Go Devils.

I believe you're overstating your case. Not all of us that aren't "Rebels" make classless, off color, disrespectful and hateful comments towards Maryville. There is one game a year that I root against Maryville ... when they play my alma-mater, the school that my children attend and that I support ... William Blount. Other than that I love to see Maryville do well. Coach Quarles, Coach Ellis, and Coach Gaylor are three of my really good friends. I got settled in my seat at Rhea County Friday night and the first thing one of the Maryville supporters asked me was, "Who you for?" Are you kidding me! I've traveled that far and I'm freezing my butt off because I'm supporting Maryville. I know and love a lot of the kids on the team. I'm dear, dear friends with many of their parents. Don't lump all of us together.

And being a WB fan, I would remind you that if you live in a glass house, you should be careful about throwing too many stones.

GOVMAN , I was not talking about you. I know your story after all we are neighbors. I was not throwing stones or posting in an accusatory manner. I was simply responding to the statement about hate. And you of all people now how it is out here in BLOUNT CO. My statement was not made as an attack but simply as a matter of fact. I have heard comments both overt and covert by fans of WB , HHS , AHS and all the k-town teams. To say all of them were classless would be overstating the case but hateful or ugly would not be. I was merely using some descriptive adj to make a point.

Greyrider, I don't believe its hate. IMO, its just the old American instinct to want to see the underdog prevail. I certainly didn't intend to say people hate Maryville. If everyone is honest about it, they have a lot of respect for the program. I know I do.

I would be inclined to agree with you on this to some degree , but there is a lot of hate out there.

I got settled in my seat at Rhea County Friday night and the first thing one of the Maryville supporters asked me was, "Who you for?" Are you kidding me! I've traveled that far and I'm freezing my butt off because I'm supporting Maryville. I'm dear, dear friends with many of their parents.

Gov-Man didgee "Moove dem chains" enny??????.... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> .......Rekkon we could barrie sum ov yore big ole speekers fer thiz gaim.???...Mairvul's band iz in Phillydelfeeuh fer a Thanksgivin' Day Prayed........Are ewe goin' this weak G???????...........If 'un ewe do yell atchee old AllenWick boy......... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

many people confuse arrogance with confidence and fact. but if that is what they must do to get by then why deny them that. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I don't have a problem with somebody talking up their team.Oak Ridge,Tennessee High,Maryville and many more in the state have much to be proud of in their great programs.Growing up in Greeneville and greene county,you learn how much the smaller greene county school supporters think Greeneville high kids and fans are full of arrogance.Watch these threads next year when Greeneville is beating the small schools.

Of course no one would lump the Govman in as a Maryville hater. The Govman is one of a kind.

Having said that, it does get difficult as a Maryville supporter who enjoys message boards to take constant criticism for supporting the team and for predicting their success. Would you prefer that we pick our team to lose? Wouldn't we be foolish to do that when they've shown us week in and week out for years that it's so much more the exception than the rule to lose? It's just a poor decision based on statistical probability to pick against the Rebels, so I don't think it makes us arrogant to assume our team will continue to do what it has done for so long: win. If anything, it just makes us conservative in our emotional investments because we're picking a safe bet /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />