Alcoa vs Milan

owcoa

Bulldawg Girl3, you are exactly right. Success causes more success. Maryville and Alcoa have it and kids who live in Blount Co. want some of it too. That is directly tied to why the two large 5A (6A next year) schools in Blount Co. are usually pretty terrible. Their better athletes transfer to Maryville and Alcoa every year for that chance.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder..................

(Daily times)

Tornadoes to be honored Saturday

The Alcoa Tornadoes, the 2008 Class-AA state football champion, will be honored Saturday, Dec. 13, at Green Meadow Country Club in Alcoa from 10 a.m. to noon during the original "Sports Page" radio program on WBCR-AM 1470. Players, their coaches, cheerleaders, school officials, supporters , the media and the public are invited. Sandwiches and soft beverages will be served.

Here is how it works, to my knowledge.

If you live in Alcoa or Maryville you pay both City and County taxes. Therefore you can send your kids to either the City or the County school. If you live outside the city you must pay tuition to attend. If you played sports at a previous school you must wait a year to compete. Same system we played under when we had losing seasons.

First, congratulations to Alcoa on your 5th in a row! What an accomplishment!

I respect and admire the Alcoa program. I now even have friends from Alcoa on these boards that I truly enjoy talking with. My thoughts are no where near intended to be negative on Alcoa. I know that if you live outside many, many school districts you can pay tuition to attend school there. I am personally familiar with this being the case in Oak Ridge too.

How does this compare and contrast to a private school? The private has zero kids zoned to go to school there. A private school will never luck in to a great athlete going to school there simply because he lives in that school's disctict. Yet the private has a multiplier attached to their enrollment.

I have no problem with Alcoa, Maryville, Oak Ridge, etc, having kids from other areas. As long as they don't recruit they are playing by the TSSAA rules fair and square. But as far as the rules are concerned, I'm not sure it is a level playing field. If some schools have a larger talent pool to draw from (like privates and like open zoned school) how is that a level playing field for those that don't? The multiplier, whether you support it or not, attempts to level this playing field for privates. How does the TSSAA square this for open zone schools?

And just for the record, to make this thread truly complete: Open zone / Recruiting / Private schools have an unfair advantage / South Pittsburg thread closed. Now this thread is complete.

First, congratulations to Alcoa on your 5th in a row! What an accomplishment!

I respect and admire the Alcoa program. I now even have friends from Alcoa on these boards that I truly enjoy talking with. My thoughts are no where near intended to be negative on Alcoa. I know that if you live outside many, many school districts you can pay tuition to attend school there. I am personally familiar with this being the case in Oak Ridge too.

How does this compare and contrast to a private school? The private has zero kids zoned to go to school there. A private school will never luck in to a great athlete going to school there simply because he lives in that school's disctict. Yet the private has a multiplier attached to their enrollment.

I have no problem with Alcoa, Maryville, Oak Ridge, etc, having kids from other areas. As long as they don't recruit they are playing by the TSSAA rules fair and square. But as far as the rules are concerned, I'm not sure it is a level playing field. If some schools have a larger talent pool to draw from (like privates and like open zoned school) how is that a level playing field for those that don't? The multiplier, whether you support it or not, attempts to level this playing field for privates. How does the TSSAA square this for open zone schools?

And just for the record, to make this thread truly complete: Open zone / Recruiting / Private schools have an unfair advantage / South Pittsburg thread closed. Now this thread is complete.

You make some good points GVK. Looking at Alcoa's enrollment it would be interesting to just go to closed zone reducing the enrollment by approx. 5% and lose the handful of football players. This would move Alcoa from 2A/3A to 2A/2A, because Alcoa missed the 2A play-off cut off by only 13 students. Alcoa would REALLY dominate in the new 2A classification and no one could use the "open-zone" card EVER! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Give me 10 more state championships please. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

You make some good points GVK. Looking at Alcoa's enrollment it would be interesting to just go to closed zone reducing the enrollment by approx. 5% and lose the handful of football players. This would move Alcoa from 2A/3A to 2A/2A, because Alcoa missed the 2A play-off cut off by only 13 students. Alcoa would REALLY dominate in the new 2A classification and no one could use the "open-zone" card EVER! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Give me 10 more state championships please. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Food for thought....

It wouldn't begin to effect Alcoa for 4 or 5 years. Normally what the school systems do, (I know this is what happened in the case of Milan becoming a closed zone), the out of zone student can finish out the school they are currently enrolled in. Example, if they are a freshman at the high school, they can graduate from that school. If they are in 7th grade at Alcoa Middle, they could finish 8th grade, but starting 9th they would have to return to their classified district. So the enrollment probably wouldn't go down that much, because chances are all schools in the district would close zones, and what Alcoa lost, they would regain from students that are attending say Maryville.

But chances are, this isn't gonna happen ANY time soon, and until there is a state regulation, it's all 'what-ifs' which really have as much meaning as a fork in a bowl full of chicken noodle soup!

Food for thought....

It wouldn't begin to effect Alcoa for 4 or 5 years. Normally what the school systems do, (I know this is what happened in the case of Milan becoming a closed zone), the out of zone student can finish out the school they are currently enrolled in. Example, if they are a freshman at the high school, they can graduate from that school. If they are in 7th grade at Alcoa Middle, they could finish 8th grade, but starting 9th they would have to return to their classified district. So the enrollment probably wouldn't go down that much, because chances are all schools in the district would close zones, and what Alcoa lost, they would regain from students that are attending say Maryville.

But chances are, this isn't gonna happen ANY time soon, and until there is a state regulation, it's all 'what-ifs' which really have as much meaning as a fork in a bowl full of chicken noodle soup!

By going closed zone would slightly reduce enrollment and move Alcoa down in classification. THAT.....with the Fact that 99% of the REAL talent comes within the zone. Alcoa would become MORE dominant. No "if-an-but's" about it. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

By going closed zone would slightly reduce enrollment and move Alcoa down in classification. THAT.....with the Fact that 99% of the REAL talent comes within the zone. Alcoa would become MORE dominant. No "if-an-but's" about it. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

yall would be a good team without the all the tallent i dont get what some people think anybody that seen that game friday night would know that anyway i guess im just beating a dead horse trying to get that point accross good luck alcoa until we meet again u are a class act

I??™m not sure about that 5% figure any faculty member or administrator I have talked to about tuition students at Alcoa have said about 20-30% of the student body across the system pay tuition. Now among football players the percentage is far less significant. Academically this would be terrible for Alcoa, any teacher at Aloca will tell you that without the tuition students at Alcoa the impressive test scores that Alcoa annually produces would drop by a noticeable margin, not to mention the additional funding that would be lost. It would be much better for Alcoa to maintain the current system and play better teams in AA and maybe even loose a region game one day than to reduce enrollment and win every game in A by 50. Now you are correct that most of the talent comes from inside Alcoa but some other quality players over the years have paid tuition, just look at the comments about Austin Talant on this board if Alcoa did not allow him in as a tuition student last year he would be playing at Heritage this season.

Absolutely correct. It's been the same throughout the good years and the bad years. I myself was a tuition student who was zoned for Heritage and I can tell you this is the current policy and always has been.

That being said not all the tuition students are "recruits" as some would like to believe. I was never recruited at all and I don't think I know anyone who was. I transferred in in 8th grade because my dad and his two brothers all played at Alcoa and I didn't want to go to a school with a large population, not because someone came to my house and asked me to.

That being said I'd like to once again congratulate them Tornadoes, keep it goin Class of 2010.

Well, my son was recruited! He gets all the free pizza he can eat! Next year I hear Alcoa is uping the pay to stay with coupons for free burgers at Five Guys!. Our ultimate goal is to get a frequent eater discount card to BOH by the time my boy is a senior. Now thats what I call quality recruiting! If they throw in free garbage service from the Alcoa division of Starz and Barz then they may get solid committments from my next two sons! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Several media stories have said that J. Coleman's TD run was the only one allowed by the Alcoa defense this year.....

Am I the only person on the planet that saw T. Shuler have a 2 yard TD run to tie the Maryville game in the second quarter WAAAAAY back in week 1??

I have seen three different outlets say this, just letting you know you are......WRONG!

Getting in on the tail end of this one..didn't want to review the previous 110 pages..so Alcoa is a semi-private school? Heard talk of paying tuition...they don't play with "what gets of that yeller bus" like Milan does?

I thought coleman was supposed to get off the yeller bus at dresden? Almost all of alcoas players that have contributed to this run over the last few years lived in alcoa or have gone to alcoa since their pre-k days. Brandon warren, dustin lindsey, rae sykes, randall cobb, troy hodge, kyrus lanxter, martin white, joei fiegler, troy hodge, dee herbert, sam thompson, taharin tyson, darrall warren, chase james.....all of these kids have been alcoa kids. On this years team i can think of three kids who didnt go to middle school at alcoa that were starters. Jeff Hickman, austin tallent and Darwin Kerr. All three of these players came to alcoa in their FR years. You want to know where alcoas talent comes from then ride up and down the streets of the hall community in alcoa and look at those young kids outside playing. I would love to hear one person that was recruited to come to alcoa.