4A State Championship Game

FBEmeritus

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats two Hillsboro.....Thay deserved two win....This Mairvul team wuz one ov GQ 's best coachin' jobs in my opinyun..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree STARSNBARS but some of the game time decisions were very suspect. Not calling a timeout before the field goal?? The fumble rusky when it was 3rd and 3. ??? Its hard to ever question GQ but these two plays along with 2 or 3 more cost the Rebels big time. Congratulations on a great run Maryville. Can't wait to see you on the Hill next year.

I agree STARSNBARS but some of the game time decisions were very suspect. Not calling a timeout before the field goal?? The fumble rusky when it was 3rd and 3. ??? Its hard to ever question GQ but these two plays along with 2 or 3 more cost the Rebels big time. Congratulations on a great run Maryville. Can't wait to see you on the Hill next year.

volfan5.....GQ fessed up in tha paper today and sed tha loss "was on me".....You know takin' blaim aftur a loss like Fill....... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> ........Butt eye beeleeve we'll keep him....He iz a credit two tha professsion..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Hillsboro fans -

What colleges are looking at Marvin Hughes?

He was an absolute beast on the end yesterday. It seemed like the announcers called his name on every play when Hillsboro was on defense.

I haven't heard about Marvin, but I know that he IS getting some looks.

Part of the issue is that at 5-11 225 lbs running 4.5-4.6 40 yard dash speed, he really is more of a LB or FB than an OL/DL. HHS was just very hamstringed size-wise on the lines this year as most Maryville fans probably noted compared to the other 3 times we've faced off. I would anticipate Marvin getting a look from some Division I-AA schools though. He is a very hard worker and an athlete.

volfan5.....GQ fessed up in tha paper today and sed tha loss "was on me".....You know takin' blaim aftur a loss like Fill....... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> ........Butt eye beeleeve we'll keep him....He iz a credit two tha professsion..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yes, he is a class act and never thought I would like a Maryville coach. He is a great coach and person. Never thought you would get rid of him. Just thought those were very big plays in the game. 74-1 is the 4th longest win streak ever. WOW! That's definitely something know one can take from Maryville. Congrats on a great season run!

First of all, Congratulations to Hillsboro on a great season and win. You are Champions.

Everyone knows all great things come to an end. This game was not Maryville's best effort and they did not play Maryville football. No one can beat a quality team making mistakes like the offence made. I do think the clock management issue really hurt Maryville. That officiating crew is among the worst I have ever seen during a major play-off game. If they were a college crew, the T$$AA should be ashamed of themselves. There are many fine Tennessee High School officials that would have done a better job. They missed calls on both teams. The Rebels are champions of the caliber most HS football players could only dream to be. Even the best have an off night, but you can??™t take anything away from Hillsboro, they played hard and were the best team of the night.

Over the years Maryville has been blessed with many playmakers who stepped up when they needed too. This team had them. But during this game, no one on Offence stood up to make that one play that would have resulted in six points, enough to win and over come the 3 point margin of victory. There are other reasons the Rebels lost this game, but it is in the books and Maryville has lost, no point in going on.

I don't want anyone to think I am not happy or not proud of this group of Rebels. They are champions and for the first time in many years the freshmen class won't get a championship ring. Maybe next year, but maybe never. I think it would be a mistake for any team at 5A or 6A to think next years Rebels won't be better because of this loss. Maryville's record the past ten years is un-parallel in TN HS football and thinking these kids are down and out would be a mistake. If GQ stays along with a few of the other outstanding coach's, Maryville will be hungry again next year. It's in the water. Maryville is still the stick that all teams are measured by and rest assure the road to Murfreesboro will still go through Maryville.

Again Congratulations to Hillsboro, you won a great victory and deserve to enjoy it.

Go Reb's we are proud of you. We enjoyed the wins and we all hold our heads high in defeat. Like a family should.

According to the TV broadcast I replayed and I watched this morning, those officials were college officials from the Mid-West conference. (Surely Mike Keith was wrong or I misunderstood). Regardless, I think those refs spotted the ball quicker than most which gave the offense problems with delay of game calls and being able to check off.

The stadium play clock went out at some point. When they got the stadium play clock back on, they apparently forgot to tell the referees. There was at least one delay of game penalty that Juhlin was looking at an unexpired stadium play clock running down when the back judge called a penalty for delay of game. The BJ pointed to his wrist that he was keeping the play clock on this wrist watch. GQ was not happy that the stadium was running too...obviously not in sync with the BJ's wrist watch. At least this one delay of game was caused in part by the poor officiating/stadium management of the game.

However, this did not cost the Rebels the game. I'm just trying to explain SOME of the clock management problems the Rebels seemed to have had.

I was at the 3-A and the 4-A game. Same issue with the back judge in both games. On the 25 seconds they visibly count the last 5 seconds. In both games with different officials they had the fastest 5 second count I have ever seen. I am guessing 3.7 to 4.0 seconds. I don't know if it was the pressure of the game but boy there were quick with that count. In the Maryville game it didn't seem like Maryville ever got in rhythm with their play calling. On both of their trick plays on their final good drive that failed at about the 3 minute mark as soon as they lined up in the formation Hillsboro's sideline and players were all pointing so it appears they were ready for both of them. On the throwback screen to the QB the Maryville lineman out front missed Number 53 for Hillsboro and he made a great open field tackle. If the QB gets by him he gets at least 15 yards. On the 2nd trick play Hillsboro's end and linebacker stayed at home and did what they were supposed to. I thought the player running the fumble rooskie took off with it about 1 count too early. Very impressed with Eric Gordon for the Burros and Justin Smith for the Rebels.

I haven't heard about Marvin, but I know that he IS getting some looks.

Part of the issue is that at 5-11 225 lbs running 4.5-4.6 40 yard dash speed, he really is more of a LB or FB than an OL/DL. HHS was just very hamstringed size-wise on the lines this year as most Maryville fans probably noted compared to the other 3 times we've faced off. I would anticipate Marvin getting a look from some Division I-AA schools though. He is a very hard worker and an athlete.

The only thing I'm a bit annoyed about the game is that he did not get defensive MVP. Like I have said before, that is a COMPLETELY different game without him coming off the corner.

Didn't realize he was THAT fast. Wow. Maybe 2 inches too short to play LB at the 1-A level, but I could see a 1-A team pick him up as a fullback. But if he wants to play LB it'd probably be at the 1-AA level.