Maryville @ Alcoa 2009

How is it the biggest rivalry in the state? In my book a rivalry should offer up some question as to who might win.

How is this the biggest rivalry? hmm 1200+ people every year, close games, genuine dislike for each other,"rich vs poor", county bragging rights, pride,the 2 best teams in the state, championships,and so on... just wondering, what do you think the biggest rivalry is???

try more like 8,000+ every year. im on your side with this. rivalries can seem one sided. this is def one of the greatest rivalrys in the state

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it the biggest rivalry in the state? In my book a rivalry should offer up some question as to who might win.

Just another example of etcoach's contempt for Alcoa (a specific example is his broadcast of the Alcoa-Tyner Academy 2005 semifinal playoff game) that comes through loud and clear when he does play-by-play for Blount County football and basketball. I realize he is a William Blount broadcaster and the broadcasts are paid for by sponsors of William Blount football/basketball, so I do not blame him for rooting for the Governors during broadcasts of games that involve William Blount. However, in games he broadcasts that involve Alcoa but don't involve William Blount, it would be nice if he put aside his negative feelings toward Alcoa, whatever their source.

Will somebody please dig up Pete Williams and put him back on the air? Or at least persuade Glenn Morton to come out of retirement?

That being said, I agree that a great rivalry should be less lopsided than the last 15 years of Maryville vs Alcoa. It is a rivalry nonetheless because of the astounding successes historically of both football programs, the proximity of the communities and schools, and the length of the series. Plus, several of the games won by Maryville during this stretch have been close and not completely decided until late in the fourth quarter (e.g, 2006 and 2008). By the way, my definition of several is a number greater than one.

Something that perplexes me is the seeming need in our society to identify and proclaim something as "THE BEST". Why does it even matter which rivalry is "THE BEST"? Just enjoy the rivalries for what they are, a diversion that stirs up excitement in communities and an escape from the problems all of us face in the real world.

One more thing. Without having the exact numbers in front of me, I believe former Alcoa basketball coach Vernon Osborne's all time record against Maryville was something like 85-14. Does that mean Maryville vs Alcoa basketball is not a rivalry?

Best of luck to both teams. And I know this is Alcoa's deepest team ever. It always is isn't it? Does T Robinson still play both ways? Does your QB play in the secondary like he did in the jamboree? Not being "elite" or "arrogant" just trying to ascertain your definition of "depth".

I believe that the statement was elitist "attitude", saying someone has a doggish attitude is not calling them a dog...if you constantly think that you are better than others, everything that you do is right and nothing the other person does is ever good, then that is an elitist attitude. Write me one day and I will discuss the phenomenon of prevailing majority culture privilege, but this is a football board so let's get back to the game...

What definition woud you give someone who talks down to other adults like they are children, and acts like they are all knowing? Just curious.

MLREB, you sir are the liar.

One thing is for certain Maryville has had county & Knoxville players for years & years & years.

There are 3 players starting for Alcoa that did not grow up in Alcoa. Get your facts straight.

MLREB Pleese kleen up yore storie.....Eye wushed eye haid gottun moore frum Knottsvul.....Butt aftur Burnette and Douglas mooved fer good garbige servuss Knottsvul aint been as good......And MLREB volfan5 iz rite 3 ov Alcouh's Deefencesive line starurs didnt grow up in Alcouh...... :mellow:

Also Maryville the last 30 years has had 5 TIMES THE AMOUNT OF KNOXVILLE KIDS AND COUNTY KIDS PLAY FOR THEM THAN ALCOA HAS. PERIOD!

That may be the most moronic statement I have ever read. Why does it bother you so bad that COA has approximately 40% of their roster littered with out of zone kids? You are not cheating nor are you recruiting. It's just the fact and that is that. Get your facts straight before you post a lie. I have....

Lie? Every time you use that ludicrous percentage you basically lie, why don't you concentrate on getting your facts right?