Maryville @ Alcoa 2009

Volfan,

I agree with most points of your post. Just to keep it real, I actually think in the last 5 years that WB played Alcoa William Blount won 2 - 3 of the games. Overall, I'm sure that Alcoa still holds the edge against the Governors in wins and losses. I wish we could still play. Obviously you all would have been tough for us most of the past few years, but I would venture to say that I believe our '07 team would have had a real good shot at beating you. I believe most Maryville folks would say that that team gave them one of the top games they played in their whole streak.

Do you think it gets tougher for you guys next year? Overall competition wise?

Well GovMan, will we never know about the last 5 years. 07 game would have drawn a crowd of 7-8000 fans at least. It just doesn't make sense not to play those games.

I believe the road gets slightly tougher but Alcoa has a lot of talent coming up. I really don't think its going to matter. The next two years Alcoa will be deep and talented. Might be Rankin best groups coming up. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa beats wartburg 70-0 and thinks that makes them a great team. WB would have killed alcoa last year. my dragons would kill alcoa. 2A is weak. Go dragons. Go pepvol you my hero /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> that's all I have to say. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

No problem man, I knew I could get them spooled up!

Some of us love the heat, it drives us. Seriously, 2A, save for Alcoa is weaker than 1A in East TN some years IMO. No one has played Alcoa close except for Maryville in years. William Blount in 02/03 I think it was beat Alcoa by something like 36 points. It is not Alcoa??™s fault; the other teams need to find ways to step it up. The other teams/schools maybe need to look at their transfer rules and consider funding for better coaching at the 1A & 2A levels.

I would like Alcoa to fill that open date with Greenback, WB, Heritage, Fulton, A-E or maybe even Webb. But no they will travel hundreds of miles to find a cake game to pad the win column. In a year or two GP is going to remember that classless 91-zip game where Alcoa ran up the score on then. A GP team that was young and thin. That game was a major contributor that gave TN High School football the continuous running clock rule and the political correctness that went with it. Where the rule says when a team gets ahead by 35, the clock runs continuously and hence shortens the game. This irresponsible coaching stunt cost thousands of future underclassman across the state playing time during the latter part of Friday night games. I can remember watching the film where starters were pointing and finger pointing during the route to 91 points over G-P. To me it was a turning point for supporting the 2A team in the county. Prior to that I pulled for Alcoa. My sons had played some pee-wee with some of Alcoa's greatest several years ago. The Alcoa posters on here then were as arrogant as some of those players were. I thought it disgusting.

Under Coach Rankin I am starting to come back around. Alcoa again has class and conducts itself like the champions they are. But just as some roots run deep, so do some reservations. Time heals all.

Yea, start pounding, posting nasty pictures, calling me names, I can take that too.

I find it laughable /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> that you bring up, us playing WB & Heritage. I'm sure you understand that they won't play us. These teams you bring up except for Fulton, won't play us either. So, I'm a little confused on what your saying?

As for the GP game, Alcoa scored 6 defensive touchdowns in that game. We didn't play our 1st team the whole second half. The clock ran the whole second half. GP had 2 wins that year and if you want to blame anyone, blame the tssaa for a system that lets 2-8 teams, into the playoffs. I feel like I'm talking to Mickey Deerstone.??? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

im saying if yall were good you wouldnt be 3a next year

catholic skipped a class and is playin with 6a playoff teams in AAA...whats that say about yalls program?

step up and at least play some county teams

WOW, you sir are a dolt. After reading this I wonder how you find your way home every day. Catholic skipped nothing and did not choose to play up and are infact disappointed with where they will play next season, but that is where their enrollment places them when the multiplier is factored in. They are doing nothing admirable or courageous they are playing where they should. "step up and at least play some county teams" What? Alcoa would love to, the county teams are too pusillanimous to play Alcoa.

FBE I generally find myself to be the lone Alcoa fan to not comment on your posts and I do not vehemently despise you as many on here seem to, because even while your posts about Alcoa are many times in poor taste I find them to be largely accurate, but your most recent post I do find exception with. First Alcoa would love the out of region schedule you suggest but WB, Heritage and Webb have all been asked and have all said no. AE is not likely because it will be a playoff match up, and Greenback would more than likely not agree to take a loss. Fulton is a likelihood for the upcoming season. To say Alcoa wants to travel hundreds of miles is simply wrong, they have to because Area teams will not play them. As for the classless GP game(91-7 not "91-zip") you can not be serious, GP caused that by throwing the ball to Alcoa defenders,42 of the 91 were scored by Aloca defenders, do you want a freshman DB to run his first career interception out bounds instead of scoring. Alcoa threw three passes the entire game, and after the first quater they did not run a play outside of the tackle, eleven different players rushed the ball for Alcoa and the entire fourth quater Alcoa handed it to the fullback every play. Alcoa did everything in its power to limit its own offense but as you have mentioned several times 2A in the east is terrible and on that night GP was no exception.

Catholic skipped nothing and did not choose to play up and are infact disappointed with where they will play next season, but that is where their enrollment places them when the multiplier is factored in. They are doing nothing admirable or courageous they are playing where they should.

are you kidding? they went from 3a to 5a. so yes they are skipping a class. and from what ive heard they have 1000-1200 students. so theyre playing with teams whose attendance goes from 1600-1900. Im saying they bump people up based on some skill too.

Eat your popcorn VOLFAN5 , not one ALCOA team I've seen play over the last 5 years could have went undefeated in 4A. Now I am not one to get on here and rag AHS , They are a great team and no I do not support the "running up the score folks." Let the kids play and if they score they score. However I believe that your reference to MARYVILLE'S cake walk through the post season is moronic and is like the pot calling the kettle black.( see post 22)

are you kidding? they went from 3a to 5a. so yes they are skipping a class. and from what ive heard they have 1000-1200 students. so theyre playing with teams whose attendance goes from 1600-1900. Im saying they bump people up based on some skill too.

You should really read before you post!! If you actually new anything about the new system, you sir would know that with all of the privates playing public ball they have a multiplier added to their enrollment. Which is why they are playing up in classification. Skill? Are you being serious right now? I was in the boro last weekend to watch the state games and Alcoa would beat Catholic hands down!!

WOW, you sir are a dolt. After reading this I wonder how you find your way home every day. Catholic skipped nothing and did not choose to play up and are infact disappointed with where they will play next season, but that is where their enrollment places them when the multiplier is factored in. They are doing nothing admirable or courageous they are playing where they should. "step up and at least play some county teams" What? Alcoa would love to, the county teams are too pusillanimous to play Alcoa.

FBE I generally find myself to be the lone Alcoa fan to not comment on your posts and I do not vehemently despise you as many on here seem to, because even while your posts about Alcoa are many times in poor taste I find them to be largely accurate, but your most recent post I do find exception with. First Alcoa would love the out of region schedule you suggest but WB, Heritage and Webb have all been asked and have all said no. AE is not likely because it will be a playoff match up, and Greenback would more than likely not agree to take a loss. Fulton is a likelihood for the upcoming season. To say Alcoa wants to travel hundreds of miles is simply wrong, they have to because Area teams will not play them. As for the classless GP game(91-7 not "91-zip") you can not be serious, GP caused that by throwing the ball to Alcoa defenders,42 of the 91 were scored by Aloca defenders, do you want a freshman DB to run his first career interception out bounds instead of scoring. Alcoa threw three passes the entire game, and after the first quater they did not run a play outside of the tackle, eleven different players rushed the ball for Alcoa and the entire fourth quater Alcoa handed it to the fullback every play. Alcoa did everything in its power to limit its own offense but as you have mentioned several times 2A in the east is terrible and on that night GP was no exception.

I would also like to see Alcoa play the other county teams, to keep our dollars in our schools but to suggest WB and Heritage are lacking courage and resolution marked by contemptible timidity is a bit pompous and arrogant don't you think? A noticeable trait is some Alcoa posters. There were other factors that lead to the county AD's decision to stop playing Alcoa and they were not all factors on the field. I am sure they hated to let go of those gate recipts. Alcoa has had some great athletes, home grown and transfers and prior to Coach Rankin greatly undisciplined and classless in some's opinion. Not all but enough to make one sick watch ing the stands. I think things are better now. I don't agree there was enough done by the coaching staff to curtail the piling on of points in the GP game and a few others that occurred prior to Coach R. Before I would call other area team??™s cowards or not schedule them because they might be a future play-off game is excessively ridiculous in my opinion. If a challenge was really wanted it could be found. If Maryville did not have to play Alcoa, they could get Oak Ridge or Farragat on their own schdule. Ofcourse that has been take care of next year for the Rebels and it is about time anyway.

Wow , talk about needy ... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> So how dare I praise other teams without praising Alcoa . Over the years , I can't count how many times I've praised Alcoa and said that without each other , neither team would be near as good . It seems like there's a lot of Alcoa fans who always insist on Maryville fans saying they were the best team they played that year , but I'm not going to lie just to please guys like you . I'm not going to get into specifics , because when you want me to start comparing Alcoa with these other teams , It's a no win situation , and I also can't stand It when Maryville always gets matched up into those Imaginary games that they always seem to lose /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> . That has always been the weak spot in Coach Quarles coaching resume ... he never wins those " Pretend " games that guys on CoachT make up .

Needy?? I'm not needy?? We have 10 state championship..

YOU CAN'T COUNT-YOU CAN'T COUNT! Well I can't count either because I don't ever remember you, giving Alcoa any credit. You went out of your way in 3 different post to say your glad it was Hillsboro that beat you. Then you went on to say because they have class. That's my point, we know you and a few others don't like Alcoa. So, which team did Maryville play that didn't have any class??

On the east side of the bracket in 4a the last 5 years. Who would have beat Alcoa IN YOUR OPINION??? YOUR OPINION?? I could see the finals but what about the semi or quarter?? Name me one team, you think was better.

I just wanted to say I love "Alcoa's Painted Bridge" (the bridge not the poster) and have loved it since I was a little kid growing up in Alcoa. I love it so much that I walked over to it last night from my brother-in-laws house, which is in sight of the bridge, and gave it a new coat of paint. It was cold and wet, but I used some special all weather paint that bladerunner smuggled out of the Atomic City (Clinton Engineering Works)!

I would also like to see Alcoa play the other county teams, to keep our dollars in our schools but to suggest WB and Heritage are lacking courage and resolution marked by contemptible timidity is a bit pompous and arrogant don't you think? A noticeable trait is some Alcoa posters. There were other factors that lead to the county AD's decision to stop playing Alcoa and they were not all factors on the field. I am sure they hated to let go of those gate recipts. Alcoa has had some great athletes, home grown and transfers and prior to Coach Rankin greatly undisciplined and classless in some's opinion. Not all but enough to make one sick watch ing the stands. I think things are better now. I don't agree there was enough done by the coaching staff to curtail the piling on of points in the GP game and a few others that occurred prior to Coach R. Before I would call other area team??™s cowards or not schedule them because they might be a future play-off game is excessively ridiculous in my opinion. If a challenge was really wanted it could be found. If Maryville did not have to play Alcoa, they could get Oak Ridge or Farragat on their own schdule. Ofcourse that has been take care of next year for the Rebels and it is about time anyway.

No it is not pompous or arrogant to think the WB and Heritage are expressing pusillanimity in refusing to play Alcoa, a WB representative was quoted in the Daily Times saying there was no advantage to getting beat by a smaller school with the new playoff format, and as for your receipts Heritage representatives claimed in the same article that they brought in more money with Campbell County, this is obviously a lie and a way to put a facade on their actual intentions, they don??™t want another loss on the schedule especially a smaller school. As for players who may not have represented Alcoa to the fullest, that is absolutely true but you continually seem to put this on John Reid and that is false Alcoa football under Reid??™s teams were far more classy than those under Scott Meadows. Under him some Blount County referee??™s refused to call Alcoa??™s games because of the manner in which he and his players carried themselves. The behavior of many players during this three year span was not acceptable and one incident in the 2001 semi finals may have cost Alcoa a State Championship. No event of this magnitude occurred under Reid and it seems your criticism might be better placed upon the coach of another local school. You bring up the GP game, if more could have been done maybe you can provide a suggestion. As for scheduling more challenging schools Alcoa has tried to schedule all the area schools and few will agree to play them, this may flabbergast you but it is true regardless of what you believe. Come on Oak Ridge and Farragut are not a step as compared to Alcoa. Alcoa has scrimmaged Oak Ridge the past couple years and they have done what they wanted to them as for Farragut they have been good the last two years and that is it.